Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Passing security without incident?

The plan was to get up at 3am so we could be ready for Uncle Larry to pick us up at 4:15, he gave us a ride to the airport so we didn't have to park our car there while we were in Montana.

I woke up at 1:30am and couldn't get back to sleep, and Cindy awoke at 2 so needless to say the alarm was shut off before it ever sounded and we were ready and waiting for Uncle Larry.

The trip to the airport was uneventful except for the high speed Larry traveled down the freeway, things always look a lot faster and closer when you are looking through the windshield from the backseat, he did a few lane changes where I thought fenders were going to be taken off of cars, and the lane switch from the far left lane over to the exit he nearly missed, kind of looked like a Nascar race with Semi trucks thrown in.

But the closest call was when we got to the end of the ramp and the light had just turned green but the SUV at the light hadn't begun to move yet, Larry wasn't stopping, Larry was right on his bumper, then he went left and right and left, I thought he was going to try one of those "pit maneuvers" that you see the Cops do on TV, Aunt Midge is just talking away like nothing is happening and Cindy is plastered to the back of the seat with her eyes as big as saucers, I thought we were going to die.

We did arrive early enough to rush to the restrooms, say our goodbyes and go over our checklist before approaching TSA in hopes of passing security without incident:

Boarding passes - check, identification - check, medical implant card - check, pockets emptied of everything I normally carry, like my pocket knife, clippers, keys, assorted nuts and bolts that are leftovers from stuff I am working on, check, check, check.

Cindy even cleaned out her pocketbook, but then loaded it up again with "stuff we might need", so it had to be cleaned out again, it passed security without setting off any alarms, I was afraid it wouldn't pass the weight limit, which our suitcase came close to hitting.

For the first time since we have been flying there were no issues with security, I'm serious Cindy went through security without being pulled aside and all but strip searched. With my medical implant card I was directed around the magnetic scanners and given a quick x-ray and simple pat down.

Cindy was laughing when I caught up with her, she said "Man you should have seen that x-ray....it showed everything" I replied "Wow that's something, could you see my defibrillator?" She started laughing again and held her hand out with her thumb marking the first digit on her pinkie, she said "yeah I saw that, but I also saw something I wasn't expecting, and so did everyone else" red faced all I could think to say was "if it was that short I bet most didn't even see it".

We boarded the plane and found our seats in the third row, Cindy started breathing a little faster and just as she buckled the seatbelt said she couldn't breath, "I have to step off the plane for a minute" she said as she is yanking on the seatbelt, "How in the hell do you unbuckle this!" She growled through her teeth, she is almost hyperventilating at this point, I'm trying to help her, and she is beginning to panic on me.

"Don't touch that!" She tells me as I grab the buckle, she is yanking on the strap which is tightening the seatbelt instead, bless her heart I felt really bad and just wanted to get ahold of the buckle release, when the seatbelt finally dropped open her panic attack disappeared just as the door was closing.

This was a first for us and the flight attendant did pay close attention to Cindy during the flight, I'm not making light of Cindy's panic attack, but we did both start laughing when during the flight attendants demonstration on seatbelt use, that she simply raised the clip and the seatbelt fell apart.

Take off was perfect and Cindy did bring rubber gloves and Clorox wipes, she completely cleaned our trays and settled in for our ride to Salt Lake City, this is kind of strange we are in the air and nothing has happened yet.....
Jimmy looking scared and Cindy smiling on the airplane

38 comments:

  1. TSA have their protocol to follow and I'm guessing they did just that. I just go along with their program when I fly and I've not had a problem. Some have an attitude and not a good one so they get looked at way more closely. It's not worth it in my opinion. They are just doing their jobs.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does come down to the persons attitude, everyone we came in contact with on this trip were extremely nice and we had no problems, we have ran across people in the past who made the situation a lot harder than it should have been, but like you said they are just doing their jobs.

      It seemed to me the security measures weren't as strict as they have been in the past though.

      Good to see you Sandee.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like fairly smooth sailing, er...flying. Made me a tad wistful, has been a number of years since I could fly. Back then, they were really gung-ho about what you could take and went nuts with that bleeping wand. I have no personal clue how fanatic they are now. Have they relaxed or still acting like the gestapo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually pleased with how simple it was, I don't recall seeing a wand at all, it does appear a lot more relaxed than the last time we flew.

      Delete
  3. And let's hope nothing does happen. Smoot flying all the way there and all the way back. That's what we want. Save the adventures for solid ground. Oh yes...and remember that seat belt information just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Delores, we actually did have smooth sailing the whole trip, and a few adventures too, glad to be back home.

      Delete
  4. I hope the rest of the way will go as well. Good you could laugh about the panic attack. I used to have them, then I moved to America and I've never had one since. That's over 50 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Inger, I'm happy she got through it rather quickly, the seatbelt instructions right after it was priceless.

      I am glad you have not had anymore since coming to America, I hope Cindy doesn't either.

      Delete
  5. Have a great flight back, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything has gotten much tighter in a post 9-11 world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam, yes the security screenings sure have gotten stricter since 9-11, but since our last flight a couple years ago they seem a bit more relaxed now.

      Delete
  7. I hope you travel safely and without incident.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you made it through the airport without too much trouble but I'm shocked that they don't shied x-rays from other passengers seein them if they are THAT detailed. Hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, I didn't see the screen myself, and I am not so sure that sweet little Cindy wasn't just messing with me ha ha.

      We had a ball.

      Delete
  9. My first time ever flying was this past September when I got to be in A Nutrisystem photo shoot. I was sooo excited. I was all alone too. Suprisingly, I didn't have to stand in any lines coming or going and it security went smooth. so did the flights. I did notice none of the security people cared that it was my first time flying and how excited I was. They were rather sour. I just assumed they have to put up with a lot of crap and puts them in a "hate people" mood.
    I giggled at the xray story.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I remember the first time I flew also, I love sitting by the windows because the views are so amazing.

      I think you are right, the people working at the airports, especially the TSA folks can sometimes come off as rather rude, most likely are not rude otherwise, but depending on what they have put up with before we get to them designates the mood they are in.

      Glad you got a giggle, and glad to see you.

      Delete
  10. When I fly, which I hate, I go into a zone and don't come out until we land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, I prefer driving myself but for short trips like this we have few options, I imagine a lot of folks go into a zone as you mentioned when flying, I mostly get myself overwhelmed with the large crowds.

      Delete
  11. Cindy had the rubber gloves and Clorox wipes...but WHAT IF YOU NEED A LIGHTER?

    I can't laugh at Cindy's panic attack, because I've had them while driving on the highway, and I can't just unbuckle the seatbelt and step out. Well...at least I COULD unbuckle the seatbelt. Good thing Cindy knows how it works now, but you might want to watch her for the "stepping out" part on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Val, I am so glad we didn't need a lighter because we were fresh out, and speaking of fresh that's where the Clorox wipes came in.

      The panic attack was a first for Cindy, and you are right we are going to need to work on that stepping out bit, especially when on a plane.

      Delete
  12. Cindy's panic attack sounds scary, I know others who have them occasionally. Here I was worried about problems with your defibrillator, but sounds like you survived?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abby, it actually was scary, I really didn't know what to do other than try to keep her calm and breathing normally, the defibrillator never was a problem, and this was the only panic attack Cindy had to deal with.

      Delete
  13. You carry an awful lot of stuff in your pockets, do they sag down to your knees with the weight?
    Sorry to hear about Cindy's panic attack at least it passed quickly and she was able to stay on the plane.
    I love to fly and if I had more money I'd fly more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello River, I sometimes end up with stuff in my pockets that was supposed to go somewhere else, like the garage or shop, and don't find it until I empty my pockets at night.

      I was really happy that Cindy's panic attack was over as quick as it was, I think once the belt was taken off she was able to relax, hopefully it was the last time she will have one.

      Flying is a fun way to go once you are in the air, you are correct that you need more money to fly, it was insane what these tickets cost.

      Delete
  14. Cindy looked happy in the photograph so I'm guessing no panic returned. The attack must have been frightening for her. Heehee had to smile over the show-all incident at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, Cindy had a really good time,we got to see both Tim and Randy so Momma was happy.

      That was the only panic attack Valerie, it was definitely a new situation for us as this was the first time she had one. I have to admit the x-ray incident at the airport was funny, would have been more funny had it been someone else, I'm still not sure if she wasn't just messing with me or not.

      Delete
  15. Yikes, that panic attack sounded scary--especially when the door closed. Good that you recognized it for what it was. So glad you were both laughing later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patti, when the flight attendant started with the seatbelt demonstration and I saw Cindy grin, I knew a laugh was coming ha ha.

      Good to see you my friend.

      Delete
  16. Panic attacks are scary, I have had them myself but thankfully none lately, many in my teens. Last time was at a wedding reception and less so now. It is definitely a fight or flight reaction. You just got to get out of there and your heart feels like it is going to burst. People just don't understand them. I am glad you two had a good laugh afterwards and I loved that last shot. I hate those x-ray machines!!! A great read Jimmy. Happy traveling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, I hope this will be her only panic attack, I can see the description you gave in her actions that day.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the read Denise.

      Delete
  17. In the end it sounded a good flight.
    Love the photo of the two of you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, yes it did turn out to be a good flight, thank you for your kind words my friend.

      Delete
  18. I give Cindy credit. She got onto a plane. I can't do that without the thought of a panic attack. Last time I flew was in 2005. I remember waking up in the middle of the night weeks before our trip thinking "I'm going to be on a plane in so many days." Xanax over the recommended dosing helped me considerably. I fear now that my niece is close to being engaged to a fine young man and I'll have to fly to Washington, DC area for the wedding.

    Congrats on your son's marriage!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, when and if the time comes for you to fly again you can get on board without an attack, this was a new situation for us and completely unexpected, but with it happening to you before I hope you can prepare for it and not have to deal with it at all.

      Good to see you again my friend.

      Delete
  19. Glad things went basically OK and Cindy recuperated from her panic attack. The last few times we flew, we were TSA pre-checked (I have no idea how that happened), but it saved us a lot of time and hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See we don't really fly enough to know all of this, I did forget until you just mentioned it that we were TSA pre-checked also but stood in the regular line and were told when we finally got there "you are in the wrong line" but scanned us anyway ha ha

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.