Sunday, December 31, 2017

Sleeping on the couch

This year was another one that sailed by really quickly for me. Cindy and I are really limited on our little adventures of getting out and doing things, because as you know we are in the midst of a full time caregiving situation with her dad Ray. My computer time is limited most of the time, unless everyone else is sleeping and when everyone else is sleeping that is usually when I should be also.

And speaking of sleeping, have you ever fallen asleep at the most inopportune time?

Man sitting in a lawn chair, sleeping with his head back and face pointing up with mouth open.
I have no problem falling asleep... anywhere or anytime. If you ever have us over for supper and we end up sitting around in your living room chatting, then you want to watch a movie, don't be surprised if I end up with my head flopped back on your sofa with my face looking towards your ceiling and my mouth wide open, no I am not staring at your ceiling in awe, I have fallen asleep... I'm not trying to be rude, but a full belly and the drone of a TV and I'm out like a light, it happens to me every time, I figure that if I am comfortable enough to fall asleep on your couch then it's a compliment saying that you have made me feel so welcome.

Usually before it gets this far along though Miss Cindy gives me a shot in the ribs with her elbow, or "accidentally" kicks my foot, thus saving me from the embarrassment of snoring during the movie you are playing for us.

Watching TV anytime for me is like taking a nighttime cold medicine or some sort of sleeping pill, I rarely make it through any program without my head flopping down with my chin on my chest, or doing the old nod and drop your head side to side routine, you know up and down side to side and then around in a circle kind of like a life sized bobble head doll, Cindy has woke me up laughing at times and given me this description of my actions. Cindy for the most part ignores me unless the snoring begins, and then the rib shots and foot kicking begins, this lasts until I am alert enough to realize that we are now watching an entirely different program.

I'm surprised that Cindy ever continued dating me. Early on in our relationship Cindy wanted to watch the movie Bull Durham starring Kevin Costner and Susan Sarandon, a romantic comedy / sports movie based in North Carolina, it sounded pretty good to me, and being that we were going to be on a date and she wanted to watch a movie, I went ahead and rented it. Cindy came over to my house; we had a nice supper and then sat down on the couch to watch the movie. The previews started rolling and the next thing I see is the faint light coming through the mini blind, I am lying on the couch with a blanket over me, the TV is off, the lights are out, and Cindy is gone...

Man lying on a couch sleeping underneath a blanket.
Source
I didn't see the beginning of the movie, I didn't see the middle, I totally missed the ending, and worst of all I never knew Cindy had left the building. To this day I still haven't seen this movie because every time I mention Bull Durham Cindy laughs and reminds me that she has already seen it and that I missed my chance...

When I woke up, I about panicked right there, I jumped up and turned the lights on, checked the time on the VCR, Bull Durham was lying on the top and my front door was closed and locked. I picked up the telephone and dialed Cindy's number, she answered the phone laughing, said that she enjoyed the movie, but at the end she figured it was time for her to go. I told her not to take it as an insult; if I am comfortable enough to fall asleep around you it's actually a compliment...

Needless to say my explanation was not necessarily a good one and I am reminded of this often, the story does randomly come up when we are in a group of friends reminiscing about old times. I guess that I could say it's a compliment that she remembers, because during the telling of the story there is not much that I can say.

I actually started this post as a look back over 2017 but somehow got off track, so as we all kiss 2017 goodnight, and wake up in a new year called 2018, I want to wish everyone of you a Happy New Year! I have a feeling by the time the ball drops I will most likely have nodded off and Cindy will have to tell me about it next year.

47 comments:

  1. A very Happy New Year to you, to Cindy, to Ray and to all your extended family.
    The New Year will find her way in without me waiting up for her. I am pretty certain she has a key and knows her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you said that EC, The New Year will find her way in whether we wait up or not, she does come with a key. A Happy New Year to you and your family as well.

      Delete
  2. I tend to fall asleep on buses and often wake up far past my stop and either walk back or cross the road and get the next bus back depending on how far down the road I end up. I have fallen asleep while watching TV and when I half-wake I decide I might as well go to bed, so I do, then lie there wide awake, because the short nap was enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Happy New Year to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I rode the bus like you do I can totally see how you could fall asleep and miss your stop, I'm afraid it could happen to me also. Those little cat naps do indeed leave you wide awake once you give in and go to bed, I usually take my kindle along and read awhile to help relax me enough to actually fall asleep.

      Happy New Year to you also River

      Delete
  4. Jimmy, you write such wonderful posts. I loved the way you described the occasion when Cindy had no choice but to go home. Read it twice, by the way.
    I think I married your brother.... lol... Joe fell asleep every time the telly went on, yet he was the one who wanted to watch something he described as GREAT. Fortunately I was never a TV addict!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. Happy New Year to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, Thank you so much, it is truly an honor to be added into the same category as your Joe even if it is because of our knack for falling asleep in front of the TV. I'm not much of a TV watcher either because I do miss most of the programs I try to watch.

      Happy New Year to you also my dear friend.

      Delete
  6. You missed a very good movie.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling that it was a really good movie Joe, I'm going to see if I can stream it online and if nothing else watch it on my Kindle.

      I am happy that the girl at least gave me another shot.

      Happy New Year Joe, to you, Mrs. C, and the rest of your family as well.

      Delete
  7. I rarely ever fall asleep during movies or tv. I usually can go to sleep easily, waking up is the harder part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waking up after a good sound sleep takes a little while Adam, it sounds like you are one of the few who actually get to enjoy the ending of the programs that you are watching.

      Delete
  8. I love your story. My husband could have told a similar one about our dating dates. Guys do seem to have an easier time falling asleep almost anywhere. I'm just the opposite, I have a hard time sleeping and falling asleep at night and I never nap during the day.

    I hope 2018 is good to you, Cindy and Ray. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that should read, "dating years" not "dating dates."

      Delete
    2. Jean I am glad to hear that it is a guy thing to fall asleep like that and not just me.

      Thank you Jean, I am very happy to have you as part of our little family here and hope you have a wonderful New Year

      Delete
  9. A Happy New Year to you and Cindy....I'll likely trot off to bed around ten but I'll be thinking of you trying valiantly to stay awake lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Delores, my luck is I'll most likely doze off around 11:45pm ha ha

      Delete
  10. It must be a "guy" thing, as my Romeo falls asleep so easily, and I'm tossing and turning because I can't shut off the voices in my head....

    I loved that story, Cindy saw something in you (while you were awake, haha) ~ I wish you both a very happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure glad she saw something other than me snoring on the couch.

      Falling asleep like this is definitely beginning to look like a "guy" thing with you adding Romeo to the list, at least the list will be well rested...

      Happy New Year to both you and Romeo.

      Delete
  11. I wish I could fall asleep so easily! But even I might have trouble making it till midnight this year. Hope your 2018 is a healthy, happy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's also wishing you a healthy and happy New Year Bijoux, you have a lot of memories to be made this coming year with your new grandbaby, I am so happy for you.

      Delete
  12. I have been yawning all the way through this post. Don't take it the wrong way! It's a compliment. You made me feel like I'm right there watching TV at night, and fall asleep in my Old People Chair. Good thing I'm watching shows I've DVRed, and can try again the next night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val I am really complimented to have you sleep through my posts, I had a feeling that you are comfortable here, so if you start snoring I'll have Cindy toss a blanket on you.

      Happy New Year my friend.

      Delete
  13. I agree: if you're comfortable enough to fall asleep that is a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Liz, I would never be insulated to have a friend fall asleep on my couch, I can always return the favor later on.

      Delete
  14. I hear ya, Jimmy. My whole family knows that, if I'm on the couch and the TV is on, I'm probably asleep. The mystery to me is, why does the TV on in the next room keep me awake when I'm in bed?!

    Happy New Year, and Sweet Dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby that is an excellent question, why does that TV in another room keep you awake? I have never thought of that before but you are absolutely right.

      Happy New Year my friend.

      Delete
  15. Hah! My husband is the same; you are definitely not alone. In his defense, he is awake and up in the mornings far ahead of me!

    All the best to you and your whole family in 2018, Jimmy. I always enjoy your thoughtful, kind, and entertaining posts. I hope you are able to find enough alone time to keep blogging for a long time yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you're talking about your husband & not mine?

      Jimmy, I love your stories, I love your posts & I think I love both you & Cindy. Happy New Year to you & yours!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Jenny, I appreciate your kindness and am really happy that you are part of our little family.

      Delete
    3. Fran, Cindy and I both love having you here also, Happy New Year my dear friend.

      Delete
  16. Mrs. Chatterbox falls asleep at interesting times, but I don't drop off without effort. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Chatterbox must be a bit like me and falls asleep sometimes before she knows it.

      Happy New Year Stephen, to both you and Mrs. Chatterbox.

      Delete
  17. So you are saying that falling asleep in company is a compliment?? I'll remember that. From reading the comments, it seems you are not alone. Loved the story though and glad Cindy gets to tell it often. This was your chance.
    Happy New Year you Cindy and Ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Patti, I think if you are comfortable enough to fall asleep in someone else's home then they have made you feel relaxed enough to do so, a compliment to their hospitality.

      I like to give my side of the story once in a while, even though Miss Cindy does question my details at times ha ha.

      Happy New Year to you and yours Patti.

      Delete
  18. Haha Jimmy, love that first photo.. Hilarious! :D

    It's my first time visiting your blog as well, hope I see you around. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome HG, We are happy to have you visit and a Happy New Year to you also.

      Delete
  19. This is so funny, and reminds me of a close friend from years ago. We're still friends, but back then there would be a group of us laughing and talking loudly, yet somehow in the midst of it all, she'd fall fast asleep. Kudos to Cindy to looking beyond the missed movie and focusing on a lifetime of love and laughter. Happy New Year to you both! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RO, and a Happy New Year to you too my good friend, I do appreciate you so much.

      Delete
  20. Funny. I often will ask Nick if he wants to watch a movie. His reply is, "Why so I can tell you about it the next day?"
    I'm too busy to fall asleep but if you get me still enough its gonna happen.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa I can so much relate to what you said, just when you think that you are going to make it through a show you suddenly wake up to find that it's already over.

      Delete
  21. What a wonderful date story! Happy New Year to you and Cindy and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inger, and a Happy New Year to you also my friend.

      Delete
  22. it means men mostly do this as my husband also can sleep any time though not anywhere .
    but this is his generosity (after reading you :) that he stay awaken and watches t.v until we get up for sleep as kids has to go to scool so we sleep before 11

    i think Cindy is so sweet and kind as she did not mind your sleeping at date night Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  23. wishing you dear Cindy and family HAPPY healthy and peaceful year !

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm late to the game here, finally catching up with your blog...but Happy New Year to you and Cindy!

    The drone of a TV will put me to sleep, too. I think it's the main reason we have a TV in the bedroom. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.