Friday, February 16, 2018

Guinea pigs...maybe?

Cindy's Uncle Larry (Ray's Brother) invited us over to his house for brunch; his wife evidently has this fabulous recipe for an egg casserole that she wanted to make for us.

We were already supposed to go over to Larry's for this brunch twice before, but Ray had gotten sick and we rescheduled, then Ray ended up in the hospital, and we had to postpone again. Now that he is home and everything is going well we have once again gotten the invitation from Larry.

"Egg Casserole?" Ray asked, "I've never heard of such a thing. Is that kind of like a custard?" Larry just shook his head and laughed before answering.

Cindy's Uncle Larry showing off a stringer of fish while her Dad Ray unknowingly gives him the Bunny Ears from behind with his fingers
Ray giving Larry Bunny Ears in this photo taken a few years ago.
Now just to kind of set the mood a little, the relationship between Larry and Ray is your typical big brother/little brother loud and constant one upping, arrogant, and always poking fun at one another situation. Ray is the oldest brother in the family and about 10 years older than Larry his younger brother.

"Noooo! It's not like custard!" Larry exclaimed, "It's an egg casserole with sausage, cheese, and hell I don't know what's all in it but it's good!" Ray gave him a look and said, "If you don't know what goes into it then why do I want to come over there and eat it?" "I'm not making it!" Larry answered, "Midge is the one who wanted to cook it for you, and I promise it is really good."

Ray smiled at him and said, "Well alrighty then that's different, if Midge is making it, I'll be there." "OK then, we will see you all at the house Monday at 11am" Larry said as he walked towards the door to leave. Ray rubbed his stomach and said in a weak voice, "It all depends on how I'm feeling on Monday."

Larry stopped and turned to look at his brother and said. "Oh come on Ray! You are going to be there! We really need for you all to come over for this brunch, Midge has never made this egg casserole before and she wanted to fix it for you before she makes it for any of our friends..."

Ray told him that we'd be there "If I don't croak first!" Cindy leaned over to me and whispered, "I'm beginning to feel like we are being used as guinea pigs."

Monday came and it was time to load up and go to Larry and Midges, I attached the wheelchair ramp at the back door, and got Ray wheeled out to the car. On the way there Ray said to himself as much as to us, "I sure hope that this stuff they are making is good!" "It's going to be fine Dad." Cindy assured him.

Midge had prepared a brunch consisting of the Egg Casserole, Apple Muffins, and our choice of drinks. This is when the fun began.

Ray said to Larry "How about a Mojito! You know that you have been promising to make me a good Mojito!" "I never promised to make you a Mojito, I don't even know how to make one!" Larry replied.  Ray asked him "Well why were you bragging at the house about how you made Mojitos for your friends and that they loved them, did you use all of your champagne on your friends?" Larry just looked at him blankly for a minute and then said "Champagne? You don't use champagne in Mojitos, you use Rum!"

I never claimed that we know how to mix drinks, so Cindy and I were just smiling and nodding our heads about this time, because Ray rarely drinks a beer much less anything else.

Ray: "You said that they were made with Champagne and Orange Juice and your friends loved them!"

Larry: "That's not a Mojito that's a Mimosa!"

Ray: "I don't care what you call it all I know is that you said you were going to make me one!"

Larry laughing as he was walking out of the room, "Let me see what I have, I'll be right back."

After a few minutes Larry came back into the room carrying a tall glass of what looked like Orange Juice and sat it in front of Ray. Ray smiled and said, "Finally, I got my Mimosa!" Larry laughed and said "I have to confess that I am out of champagne, so I substituted Vodka instead."

The apple muffins were great, and the egg casserole was so good that Cindy had three helpings and asked for the recipe. Ray never finished his Vodka laced Orange Juice aka screwdriver, nor did he ask for anything else either. On our way out the door to go home Larry spoke up loud enough so Ray could hear him "I am so glad that Ray liked the casserole, now we can make it for our real friends!" Ray just smiled and pretended that he never heard a word.

 God you have to love family...Don't you?

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes Delores they are a barrel of laughs indeed.

      Delete
  2. My brother and I got together recently and the sibling one upsmanship sounded just like Larry and Ray's It's fun being around people who've known you your entire life.

    I love egg casseroles. I've had one made with french toast that's to die for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, That is the way it goes with my siblings also, especially my baby sister who I remember being born...

      Your egg casserole definitely sounds like one that I would love also.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know how "rare" Egg Casserole was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how rare the egg casserole really is but this was a first for me, but not the last.

      Delete
  4. I like my mimosa made with vodka also...I used to call them screw drivers, now I will call them vodka mimosas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe I can actually say that Ray had a vodka mimosa then, he's not much of a drinker but he sure didn't turn it away...I think that I forgot to mention that Larry had one also.

      Delete
  5. Wait just a second - if Ray knows it's good, why does he then say Midge never made this casserole before?! Or maybe Ray just knew the ingredients were good, so the end result had to be good.

    Although that's not always the case . . .

    Too funny. And yes, we have to love family because . . . SOMEBODY has to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - I meant if LARRY knows it's good . . .

      This is what happens when I get all het up about food!!

      Delete
    2. Jenny, I believe the "rest of the story" on this one was that friends of Larry and Midges had them over for brunch and had made this casserole, Midge got the recipe from them and actually wanted to have us over for brunch and was then going to make it for us, it was definitely a success.

      I knew who you really meant ha ha, getting all het up over food I have witnessed a time or two before.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure that was the best egg custard and Mojito that Ray ever tasted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, Ray was very happy with both his Mojito and egg custard, Ray says that he don't care what you call it as long as it tastes good.

      Delete
  7. I got suspicious halfway through reading this. There's Larry telling everyone how great this egg casserole is, then a bit later saying Midge is making it for the first time, so really he doesn't know whether or not it is as good as he says it is. I'm glad it turned out well enough for people to want seconds and thirds. I haven't had an apple muffin in years. Or any other muffin for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, Most conversations with Larry are like this, I think what he was telling us without saying it is that someone else made it and that it was good, but now that Midge has the recipe she is going do cook it as well...

      It's always fun listening to him described things. The apple muffins were perfect in my opinion.

      Delete
  8. Smiled all through this. Jimmy. Egg casserole? Never heard of that before. Perhaps you would consider putting the recipe on your blog so I can have a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, Cindy does have the recipe now so I bet that I can convince her to share it. This egg casserole came out very good and Cindy mentioned even adding green chilies and onions for a bit more flavor could be a good option.

      Delete
  9. I had to laugh and laugh at this. It is very easy to relate since we just had our annual sibling reunion and it was digging at each other non-stop. As far as breakfast casseroles go, they are the best. I don't make them but have eaten them lots of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I believe that sibling rivalry begins at birth and that we never outgrow it ha ha, but it is a lot of fun.

      I love breakfast anytime so this casserole was perfect for me.

      Delete
  10. Family can be most entertaining. Or not. What a fun meal.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandee, You are so right there is a lot of entertainment that brews when family members sit down together for a meal.

      And a great weekend to you also.

      Delete
  11. Had the casserole been awful it would have been a success as the show was priceless. Sounds like Cindy needs share the recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good thing with this family Patti, the entertainment is always good...stay tuned we have a recipe share coming soon.

      Delete
  12. Wait....So theres two of them???? Oh my gosh! Id love to have been there.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa believe it or not but there is actually four of them! And we had three of them here all at once one day lol. You would have fit right in..

      Delete
  13. I love quiche and egg casseroles. They are definitely a bunch of lovable nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I've ever had an egg casserole before, I was impressed.

      Delete
  14. Such fun stories to make my day Jimmy! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely!

    Egg casserole sounds revolting I have to admit. Glad it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz I was really happy that it turned out good also.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.