Thursday, September 27, 2012

Just Click Delete

Junk Mail, Spam, unsolicited emails, which is worse and are any of them actually any different than the other.

Junk mail seems to have slowed down for me the past few years, even though I still get several credit card offers in which I am pre approved each month, all I have to do is fill out all of my credit information and send it back in to them, I really don’t want anymore credit cards but it is good to know I am pre approved.

There was a time that most of the junk mail like this came with a postage paid envelope, the simplest thing to do was to shred the entire contents, including the envelope it came in except for the address label with your name, stuff all of this into the postage paid envelope and stick it in the mail box, you suddenly were dropped from their mailing list.

I remember a man who signed up for every junk mail list he could find, his mailbox was overflowing with all kinds of junk mail each day, I am talking so much that he had to get a bigger mailbox to hold it all, what was he doing with all of this junk mail you ask, he had found a way to acquire free firewood so to say, he actually used it to heat his home.

Today most of our junk mail has become the dreaded “S” word, heck I remember when Spam was a slimy meat substance in a can made from pork shoulder and ham, but now it is another slimy substance that shows up in our inbox, and we are afraid to open this also.

Spam in our inbox, in our comments section, hidden as emails from friends, and what they all have in common is a link you had better not click on. Some used to offer an unsubscribe link at the bottom that added your name to more mailing lists than your inbox could handle, best thing to do is delete any email you get that you do not recognize.

I have been getting quite a few lately on posts I made a year or so ago, I just delete them and go about my business, but today I got one I am still laughing at:

“Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam remarks?

If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

Also see my webpage: (here was a link to some random site trying to sell something I really don’t need)”


Yes I deleted this one also; too bad I can’t burn any of these in our fireplace without using all of my printer paper.

26 comments:

  1. hmm when we moved... I lost one of my email addresses...it was the one with all the 'junk'...I'll see how long it takes before this address starts getting the 'junk'??? And I never did like spam!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bev, You will be safe for a while I bet, eventually the spam will most likely begin again, I hope not and if it doesn't I just may have to change mine again :)

      Delete
  2. I hate spam! Why do so many people out there think my penis needs to be enlarged? Are people talking about me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephen, No one has said anything to me as of yet, but most likely it was in one of those emails I didn't open Ha Ha

      Delete
  3. The only spam I get is through blog comments, thank goodness... oh, and the can we keep to fry up during hurricanes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ms. A, The can you keep to fry up during a hurricane is the only type that I can tolerate.

      Delete
  4. I learned the hard way about opening up the spam links.

    And Yes Chubby...people are talking!


    cranky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe, Yes Sir I learned the hard way myself, I also made the mistake of clicking the unsubscribe links too, glad I got that all behind me.

      You must have opened those emails I didn't about Chubby :)

      Delete
  5. My email spam is incredible... do they take us for morons? I never click on links either. I have noticed a few comments to 'old' blog posts lately.

    Does returning stuff to sender work in your country... over here in the UK it doesn't seem to make any difference. I tried it, and got fed up with returning it to the same people all the time.

    OMG I remember SPAM meat...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I have no complaints about my email spam filter either, and the spam comments on my older posts I figured more than just I were having this happen, those are being captured by the spam filter on blogger, looking at the one I posted I actually had to laugh at.

      I haven't tried the return to sender thing in a few years, I remember doing it in the past, now most of the junk mail just gets torn up and thrown into the recycle bin.

      Gotta Love SPAM, the canned meat that is :)

      Delete
  6. Fortunately, my Internet provider blocks spam, so it rarely makes it to my inbox. I seem to get all my spam via the telephone. At least 4 robocalls a day. So much for the do not call list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux, Cindy was getting quite a few robocalls a day, and after adding her number to the do not call list they have finally started to slow down, took a couple months but seems to be working now.

      Delete
  7. Here is something weird that happened to me: I changed my email and rarely used my primary, as it had 80 spams to delete daily. My new email didn't get discovered for some reason, and when I stopped deleting my spam in the prior email: it STOPPED! Now I have two email addresses free of spam. I'm wondering if just clicking "delete" shows some kind of "response" happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, stranger things have happened, with the technology today it is possible that the action of deleting them could very well bounce back to show a type of response, now you have me thinking.

      Delete
  8. Apropos of almost nothing you've mentioned, yesterday I got home to find the largest pile of mail I've ever had delivered to me in my life. Most of it was solicitations of one sort or another, advertising flyers, and other crap, but it was so impressive - honestly, it weighed about two pounds all told - I saved it all just to show MY WIFE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim, I bet that was an impressive stack of mail, if this keeps up you may need a bigger mailbox.

      Delete
  9. Mine ranges from "meet Christian singles" to the ever popular "enhancement" spams, with about everything in between. It makes spam and eggs almost sound appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, I think we all get pretty much the same variety of spam mail, it seems there is a list of people who make this stuff up and just send it out to everyone Ha Ha

      I'd go for the spam and eggs anytime, appetizing or not they would be better than opening just one of those emails :)

      Delete
  10. I cleaned out all the spam in my old email spammy addresses. I have no idea why.... I still only get spam in those. It is crazy. Have you gotten any spam text messages yet? Oh yea.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to ask Cindy if she had gotten any spam texts as of yet and thankfully she said no, hopefully it will stay that way.

      Delete
  11. Jimmy, it's so funny you posted this today because yesterday I got a spam email that was so outlandish, that I kept it so that I might post about it later.

    Most of the spam I get come from emails, which does a pretty good job of filtering. I moderate all the comments on my blog, expect those of regular readers, so I'm able to capture and delete spam BEFORE it gets published. I'm a HUGE advocate against spam (especially when it comes to my blog), so I'll do anything to prevent it.

    Have a grrrrrrrreat weekend, buddy!

    Hi to Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ron, I am happy that all of my spam on the blog has been captured and not published, I get an email to let me know they are there and looking at them I am proud they stayed off the site.

      We do have to stay on top of these things because if we don't then they will be all over us.

      A Great Weekend to you also Buddy!

      Cindy says HI

      Delete
  12. The amount of junk mail I get increased tremendously after my father died. In order to settle all his bills properly, I did a change-of-address with the MD post office, so all his mail would come directly to me in GA. More than three years later, and I still get a ton of crapola in his name. My favorite ones thank him for his generous donation "last year". (Good trick!)

    Electronic spam, on the other hand, isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Only a couple made it through the filter and showed up on my blog, but it was simple enough to flush 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the same problem when one of my Grandparents passed away, I paid her final bills and after that the junk mail in her name that arrived at my house was amazing.

    Yes that is a good trick thanking your Dad for his generous donation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get some unsolicited junk mail in the regular mail; it goes in the recycling bin or shredder as needed. My email provider is really good about filtering out spam; some shows up in the junk folder, which I delete.

    What ticks me off is the robo calls, especially the ones from political candidates running for office. You can't tell a robot, "If you call me one more time, I'm voting for the other guy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of unsolicited phone calls is unreal, I wont answer an unavailable, private, or number I do not recognize, if they don't leave a message then they didn't have anything to say to me, only one of the political robocalls actually left a message, but I didn't call him back :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.