Monday, August 14, 2017

Will Cubby survive?

Monty had been here so long that nobody could remember when he arrived, but he was no longer getting things done. It was time to make some changes.

Monty was slipping, he was no longer cutting the mustard (so to say and literally) so to save him from further embarrassment Mr. Ward was forced into retirement, thus creating a new position that needed to be filled. After reviewing and looking at several possible replacements, a decision was finally made.

The replacement had a given name, but like Monty (who never used his full name), the new guy was also given a nick name. To my knowledge ever since he started taking care of the place he has always been known as Cubby. He came on the scene eleven years ago, and has always done a terrific job.

He began by clearing off two sections of the land, taking down weed, grass and mustard taller than he was. Poor ole Monty just couldn't do it anymore, he had let the land get away from him simply because he couldn't cut it anymore. Cubby stepped in and cleared all the mess in one day.

Cub Cadet garden tractor view of steering wheel and hood with gloved hand on wheel
Cubby at work
Cubby never failed to complete any task put in front of him, he pulled his weight and more. He was never asked to do more than was reasonably expected, and he always came out on top because he definitely mowed down the competition.

He was given everything that he needed. Cubby was provided with shelter from the elements, he was always cleaned up like new after every job, and allowed to cool down and rest, yes he had a comfortable place to live.

A few days ago Cubby was working in the field. He had not been at it long when suddenly something just didn't sound right, he began shaking and had an unusual sound coming from inside him, he completely shut down and came to a stop right there where he was working...

Now I have a decision to make, will Cubby make it or not? I am going to either have to rent a trailer to haul him to Riverside, CA which isn't really close but is the closest place that works on Cub Cadet Garden tractors, or I am going to have to force Cubby into retirement.

Jimmy driving a Cub Cadet garden tractor with his Daschund named Dixie riding on his lap
This is a picture of our little dog Dixie, she loves riding along on Cubby when we aren't working too hard. (This was back during my "show Cindy what's under my beard stage.")

I really don't want to lose Cubby, but John, Husky, and even some of Cubbys relatives along with several others are looking at taking over the job. Garden tractors can sure put on a show making themselves look good when the one you own has a problem.

So how expensive is this going to be, I think the PTO clutch is locked down which throws a safety switch which in turn stops the motor from running, and the transmission drive belt is cracking which is not an easy thing to get to.

The Cub Cadet manual has a section called "Replacing the Transmission belt" which only has one sentence underneath the title, "If Transmission drive line belt needs replaced, take to nearest Cub Cadet service center", I suppose that means I am not supposed to try and replace it myself.

Cub Cadet GT1554 sitting inside garage with hood raised
Cubby sitting broken down in the garage
I have removed Cubbys deck, and checked everything over, filters, oil, battery, and still the motor is not turning, so what do I do now? I either take it to the service center and see what they tell me, or I could go with a guy Cindy's Brother used to know that may have, or maybe used to have a lawn mower shop.

Even if I go with my first decision Cindy's Brother at least has a truck we can load Cubby onto, I say we load him onto the truck, then make a decision, beats renting a trailer anyways.

I still say a new tractor would be nice, but man Ole Cubby sure has been a good one.

Grandson Benjamin sitting on a toy John Deere tractor wearing his cowboy boots
Our Grandson Benjamin from a few years ago
I found this picture taken a few years back and I wonder if Benjamin might want to come work for his Papa until I get the tractor fixed?

44 comments:

  1. Sigh.
    It is always so hard when the time comes to say goodbye to those faithful workhorses. And worse when perhaps, just perhaps, by cutting off an arm and a leg to pay for it, they could be made to live again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello EC, You are so right we get comfortable with one machine and really don't want to replace it, and the decision between paying for repairs vs replacement is not cheap either way, I usually like to work of things myself but it's not as easy as it used to be.

      Delete
  2. We have a large sit on mower but recently we tackled a field that was so overgrown that it was hard going but it survived, but we have it serviced and the blades sharpened etc. every year. And it's due for it's yearly medical next week. I have to say we haven't given it a name, it's just the sit on mower. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joey, Regular maintenance is key to keeping any machine or vehicle running as it should, you made a good point there, as for the yearly medical checkup for your mower I see you are a believer in this also, you never know you may come up with a name for it yet. :)

      Delete
  3. Nothing is more frustrrating than heading out to do a job and you have an equipment failure. I'll be holding my breath until I find out what happens to Cubby. (okay, maybe not) Lawn tractors are fair expensive aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delores, Yes it is extremely frustrating to have a job half done due to equipment failure, my neighbor was kind enough to bring his tractor over and finish the job for me, and I took a little ribbing about how well his John Deere was running ha ha.

      To replace one like ours would be around $3500.00, so I'm thinking Cubby just may survive.

      Delete
    2. Yikes.....I can't imagine a repair job will come anywhere close to that.

      Delete
    3. I can't imagine even half of that, which I wouldn't go for to repair it, I did talk to a young man today and he is going to look at it tomorrow and let me know where we stand...I'm feeling pretty good about it.

      Delete
  4. Once a tractor guy, always a tractor guy. My husband had a 1954 tractor until he died in this century. When I sold it, it went to a guy who wanted to rebuild it to take to antique tractor shows. They sure are work horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean, Those old tractors are work horses for sure, a lot of people are restoring old tractors and it's pretty impressive to see some of them once they are done, I imagine your Husband's old 54 is shining like a new penny now.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes you have to let go and retire Cubby. I hear John is a good worker.
    Good luck either way!

    You had me going for the first couple of paragraphs, it took the picture to give it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, I really hope Cubby can be repaired for a reasonable price, but if he's a goner I'm with you on looking at John.

      Delete
  6. I'd say eleven years was a good run, better than most these days. I haven't any recommendations for you though. I think that repairing one after that much service can be a wasted effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sharon, I agree eleven years is a good run, if it's a somewhat minor repair I will be happy but a major one will leave me no choice but to retire him.

      Delete
  7. I'm guessing if you can find a way to save Cubby, you will. Just a feeling.

    Have a fabulous day, Jim. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we have to do all that we can, within reason that is, your feeling is correct my friend.

      Delete
  8. I really want a zero turn. My yard has three really awkward hills and I think a regular riding mower would flip over unless I do it just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam, there are a lot of the Zero turns being sold, one of those sounds like it would be perfect for you.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad we just have a small lawn & a gardener who comes weekly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fran, If we ever leave here a smaller piece of property will peak my interest.

      Delete
  10. John and I had a few incidents together back in the 70's that my Dad never let me forget! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bijoux, Dad's are like that, they not only never let you forget incidents like you mentioned with John, they also tell stories about them ;)

      Delete
  11. I'd take Cubby to the vague guy who may or may not fix mowers and have him checked. My 14 year old rider got where it would not move when in gear. Took it to my repair guy, he took out his wire cutters made one snip and it has run great all summer. Not sure it was a legal snip but it sure worked. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patti, I talked to the vague guy earlier today, he actually has opened his own shop and has offered to see Cubby as soon as we can get him there, it's only a few miles from here so we are going there tomorrow.

      Thank you Mam.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Save Cubby!, Save Cubby!, Save Cubby!.

      Now see what you got started Lisa ;)

      I think we shall try to save him.

      Delete
  13. Poor little Cubby. I hope he gets repaired soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephen, Cross your fingers, he's being looked at tomorrow.

      Delete
  14. We have our own Cubby, just a year old. He's only half the guy your Cubby is, but he's still running. We also have John, and a fellow from Holland.

    Hick used to have a 1954 John Deere with a hand clutch. He's pretty good with machines, but he almost threw himself so many times that he traded it for his current John, that he was supposed to sell when he got the New Holland. Even if they're ailing, we never put our guys out to pasture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Val, The new Cubby sure stands out a little better than ours, new body style and the yellow sure make them good looking tractors, I'm thinking the repairs on ours should be affordable, most of the work I could have probably done, but with the location of that belt I feel better having someone working on it who is a little more familiar with replacing it.

      Delete
  15. Tough decision if you are going to have to part with Cubby. They become so much a part of our lives! (though I've never owned anything like a Cubby :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, Cubby is always there when it's time to mow the field or yard, attach the blade to the front and he is ready to move mountains so to say, but with him broken down he is just there...

      I think there are many more years of service in this tractor, the answer will come in the estimate.

      Delete
  16. I say retire Cubby and get a couple of goats. They'll eat everything green and everything else too, including the washing off your line if you don't watch out. Or try geese they'll keep your lawn trimmed and they are excellent watch 'dogs' too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello River, We have never had goats here although the lady on the hill behind us has a herd of seven and I never see her mowing, it's all the other stuff they will eat besides the weeds and grass that worries me.

      It's a good idea though...

      Delete
  17. Jimmy, I was putting on the thinking cap halfway through this. I felt sure it was one of your puzzle posts. I have a huge garden and often tried to get Joe to buy a sit-on machine instead of having to push and heave a mower. He wouldn't, but then he was a chartered accountant and hated to spend money... grins. I still have the mower but now the visiting gardener brings his own motorised machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, I figured that I should stop with those for a while if I wanted to keep readers ;)

      I always had a push mower too until we came here to California, with the size of the property here a riding mower is a must.

      If you had ever gotten Joe to try one on your place he just may have bought one, pushing a mower is good exercise but riding sure makes a large yard easier to handle. Having your gardener tend to it is the best way to handle it now.

      Delete
  18. That's a tough call to make, but I'm sure you will come up with the right thing to do in the end. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sir, the answer now lies in the estimate from the repairman, I have my fingers crossed that it's only minor.

      Delete
  19. Sometimes it's so hard to say goodbye to old friends who have been so faithful to us. I hope things work out. Sending HUGE Hugs your way. RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RO, I got some good news today, it looks like Cubby just may make it, will know more tomorrow :)

      Delete
  20. Mowers are great workhorses - just go forever. Until they don't. Poor Cubby. Tough decision but I'm sure you'll make the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Abby, It is something the amount of work a good mower can do, Cubby may live again...the prognosis is good.

      Delete
  21. Eleven years? That is pretty long for a relationship (with a non-human).
    Cubby gave you the best years of his life. Heck, he gave you all the years.
    I hope to start a relationship with somebody like Cubby one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, you are so right Cubby has given all the of his life....so far, hoping for a good report from the mower shop tomorrow, they seem to think that there are more years yet.

      Good to see you Pat.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.