Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Giblets and Cranberry Sauce

It is once again time for Thanksgiving, and we have a lot to be thankful for, even though things have happened this past year that have set a lot of people back, there are still things mixed in that we have to be happy about.

For myself the biggest setback was when I had my heart attack, this was a scary time for me and I am truly thankful for the technology and the people who are smart enough to use that technology which saved my life, so for me I am thankful for being alive today.

I am thankful that we got to make a trip back to South Carolina a few months ago, it has been a little over eight years since I have seen my Parents and siblings, there has been a whole slew of grand nieces and nephews born since our last trip, and I am thankful that my nieces and nephews talked to their children about us enough that you would have thought these kids knew us all along, I was truly thankful for the hugs that let me know that I was indeed home again.

I am thankful that I got my blog back up and running, and thankful for the friends that accepted me back into the fold so to say by following along again, setbacks in life may limit our posts at times but setbacks do not take away your true friends, and I am thankful for each and every one of you.

I am thankful for my family, my wife, children, and our grandson Benjamin, I have a never ending supply of writing material coming my way just from him, and even though some of the family stories should not be repeated, some just have to be repeated because it would be a shame to keep those stories hidden.

The turkey dinner is ready and waiting for the small gathering we are having at our home, Cindy is freaking out and worrying over all of the small details, the giblets and neck were removed beforehand rather than being cooked inside the bird paper package and all, and hopefully the cranberry sauce will be placed on the table before the meal rather than remembered after the dishes are done, at any rate everything is going to be just fine, and I am thankful for that.

We want to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving, and also want you to remember that even though a lot of bad things may be going on around us, there are always many good things to be thankful for.

Have you ever found the giblets after the turkey was cooked, or forgotten the cranberry sauce in the refrigerator?

26 comments:

  1. I'm sure your feast will be a good one tomorrow! I have not left the giblets in the turkey only because my mom did on the first turkey she cooked and she taught me to make sure to remove them before cooking :) Cranberry sauce is a special treat for Thanksgiving so I always remember to put it out :)

    We do have so much to be thankful for indeed :)

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Betty, our Thanksgiving was really good, only thing forgotten this year was the corn, the cranberry sauce made it's appearance right on time ;)

      Delete
  2. Cranberry sauce is frequently forgotten at our gathering! Happy Thanksgiving, Jimmy & Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ms. A, Isn't it funny how easily it is forgotten some years, this year we did remember it, maybe this post helped us to remember ha ha

      Delete
  3. My mother took out the giblets package and boiled it in a pan so she could have the giblets ready to go in the gravy. She always made the gravy, diced boiled eggs in the gravy, and put in the chopped giblets, plus some of the turkey. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, Yes that is how I like the giblet gravy also, you can't get any better than that recipe.

      Delete
  4. It's a yes to your last two questions... smiles. I'm thinking today is the day we should all be thankful - in all countries. It's a shame the UK don't have such an occasion - there are many here who would benefit from the yearly reminder to count our blessings instead of continually whining. I hope you and your family have a wonderful day, Jimmy. Oh, one more thing... I too am glad you survived the heart attack. Where would blogland be without our Jimmy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I am truly honored by your kind words my friend..Thank You

      I think we all need a day to sit back and be thankful for what we have, because when we look around we do have more positives than negatives in our lives, and with friends like you my positives are many.

      Delete
  5. I am thankful you are back, Jimmy! There is no one quite like you. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Bijoux, I appreciate you and am glad that you stuck with us in spite of my absence.

      I hope your Thanksgiving was great.

      Delete
  6. thanks for the chuckles on the meal snafus. :) enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day just wouldn't be the same without a few snafus :) just makes us more thankful when there are only a few ha ha

      Delete
  7. My wife is making cranberry sauce this year for the first time I've long rejected that stuff that slides out of the can so this will be something different. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen, we actually had both this year, a lot of people prefer one over the other, but I like them both.

      Delete
  8. Jimmy, as Bijoux and Valerie shared in their comments, I am soooo thankful that you are back! And I'm also thankful that you are well. You were greatly missed while on your break.

    Hope you're enjoying a faaaaaabulous Thanksgiving day with Cindy and the family!

    Happy Thanksgiving Day, buddy!

    And say Hi to Cindy for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ron, You are one of the friends who has been with us from the beginning and I am thankful for that, I appreciate your kindness and respect and always look forward to you dropping by, Cindy also asks about you regularly ;)

      I hope your Thanksgiving was grand and look forward to many more.

      Delete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving, Jimmy, to you and the rest of your family! With or without the cranberry sauce!

    I didn't know you had a heart attack, but am sure glad you're better. Thanks for getting back into blogging and for searching me out so I can come enjoy your posts again. Always such a sunny place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abby, We did good this year, removed the giblets from the turkey and the cranberry sauce from the refrigerator :)

      I had to look everyone back up when I shook the dust off of the blog, had to do with me getting a new url for it, and I am very happy you chose to follow along again.

      Yes I had a heart attack that got our attention rapidly, I wrote a post about it when I was getting the blog back up and running On The Ninth

      Delete
  10. Have you ever found the giblets after the turkey was cooked...

    Actually, that happened today! Both my wife and I thought the other had removed the giblets. Didn't really hurt anything, I guess.

    Have a great turkey day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sir like you I don't think it hurts a thing, when it happened to us we just kind of kept it to ourselves, although I do give Cindy a hard time about it once in a while.

      Delete
  11. No cranberry sauce here, but more than plenty of other good food. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, there is always enough of other good food around just in case you don't like one in particular, I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving "cranberry sauce free"

      Delete
  12. What a great post Jimmy! Much to be thankful for is right! And at least once in our lifetime, I believe we have cooked that little package inside the bird! LOL. I'm glad you're back and even though I don't blog as much as I used to, you said it right that you never lose your true friends! Happy Thanksgiving indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barb, I think it is sort of an unwritten rule in that you have to cook the package inside the bird at least once :)

      I am glad you are back also my friend.

      Delete
  13. Like some others have said, I'm really happy to see your blog up and running again. I've always enjoyed reading your stories. The best thing though, was meeting with you and Cindy back in October. Looking forward to doing it again also...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat, Meeting with you was something we both enjoyed so much, like we have said before it was like we had done it many times before, yes indeed another time...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.