Thursday, November 26, 2015

Just thinking

I was just thinking how much traditions and such have changed since I was a kid, when I was younger we loaded up and went over to my Grannies house on Thanksgiving, had a huge meal with our families and ran around with the cousins while the adults sat around and discussed major subjects like how much food they had consumed, half of them actually dozed off during the discussions and the other half just began talking to someone else.

The next day was the beginning of left over Turkey week, this I always looked forward to, as I do love turkey, leftovers are something I was never ashamed of as most meals are better the next day.

Now days things may be pretty much the same, if you take away the size of the gatherings and add in running out to the nearest store in hopes of finding a good bargain, rather than sleeping off that belly full of turkey.

Black Friday almost plays a bigger role at Thanksgiving time, even more than turkey and football, I’m not going to go into a big post bashing Black Friday this year, all I want to say is Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you.

Whether you choose to sleep off your turkey hangover, watch a good football game, or run out right after dinner to find a good deal, I ask you to think back on people no longer with us like my Granny, and to be thankful for the traditions they shared with you, and also look at or think of that youngster in your family, because this is who the traditions you are creating today will carry them on in the future.

What are your plans right after the big meal?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Jimmie. Good to hear from you. Happy Thanksgiving. My favorite thing after our dinner is a nap. Lol. It comes with age I guess. Hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, Feeling well here thank you, and like you a good nap right after dinner suits me just fine.

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Jimmy! Good to see you pop up here; hope all is well with you. My plans after the big meal? The movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" - it's tradition at our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles now there is a tradition I can go for

      Delete
  3. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Jimmy! It's so nice to see you!

    Personally, I would have gone into a food coma, but I had to hold off until I got home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Ms. A, We too had to hold off on the food comas because this year we went over to Cindy's Brothers for Thanksgiving rather than hosting it ourselves.

      Delete
  4. Great to see you, Jimmy. I hope everything is going well for you.

    We don't have a Thanksgiving Day but we have started having Black Fridays. I can't get my head round that one.... why black, and why on a Friday? I won't be going to the shops today, no Sir. I can't stand crowds or sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, The crowds are the thing I have the hardest time with anymore, I do love people just not all at once.

      Delete
  5. I'm late to the Thanksgiving party, but will say Happy New Year to You and Your Family!

    I can't remember Black Friday, but I KNOW I wasn't at the mall! :)
    Thanksgiving was fun... Food, lounging, ping pong in the basement and football on TV.

    Nice post in remembrance of Granny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I hope your New Year is going great, sounds like you spent your Thanksgivings much like ours, With me it is always a time to remember Granny.

      Good to hear from you my friend.

      Delete
  6. We'll be at my mother-in-law's for Thanksgiving. My husband has friends in town we always have to see at some point when we visit, so I'm sure we'll get together with them. But I don't do Black Friday. I do shop ONLINE during the weekend after Thanksgiving, but the crowds in stores get to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.