Friday, September 29, 2017

Hot or Mild Review

On our last trip to see my Doctor, we passed by Mr. Taco. This restaurant appeared out of nowhere one day when we made a trip into the "Big City", actually meaning that we had never noticed it before.

Mr. Taco sign in front of the restaurant
Mr. Taco sign we parked next to it
It appeared to be a Hispanic bar/taco joint with a lot of outside seating, the side of the building is covered with large signs advertising various Mexican beers, and others displaying different food specials. They were really busy every time we passed by and I always joked that we should try it someday, basically since it doesn't look like a place Cindy would choose, I told her that some of the best food that I have ever eaten has come from stopping at what you would call a dive.

She almost went for it the last time we were in town, the place was packed that day and the only parking spot was around back next to the dumpster. Cindy looked at the back of the building, and then at the dumpster, and put the GMC into reverse, saying "I'm not eating at a place that looks like I might get my throat cut before I get inside", that day we took our chance with the ruffians hanging around outside the Olive Garden.

I was really surprised when we left the Doctors office and Cindy said "I want to try Mr. Taco today." I never expected this and was happy to see an empty parking spot right up front, we could smell Mexican food when we got out of the car, a much better experience than what we would have smelled the day we almost parked next to the dumpster.

Going inside the setup is for you to order your meal at the counter, they give you a number and you find a place to sit, when your food is ready a waitress will bring the food out to you, simple enough...Right?

A plate containing two breaded fish tacos
The Breaded Fish Tacos
"Today's Special" was fish tacos for .99 cents each, I like fish tacos so I ordered a couple for myself, I even had a choice between breaded or grilled, so I ordered grilled, Cindy ordered a cheese enchilada and a shredded chicken taco, along with an unsweetened tea to drink, I looked around at all the frosted mugs and thought, When in Rome you do like the Romans do, or in this case when in a Mexican bar...

I ordered myself a beer in a frosted mug, expecting a draft beer to be drawn up, but instead the lady behind the counter reached down into a vat of ice and pulled out the tallest beer can I have ever seen in my life, I bet that I could have stood on top of it to change a light bulb even at my height, then out came a frosted mug large enough to accommodate the amount of beer inside the can.

While Cindy was getting herself some chips and salsa at the self service chips and salsa bar, I had to test this assumption by attempting to pour all of the beer into the mug.

There is a technique to pouring beer into a mug, if you simply pour it in, you will end up with half a mug of beer and the top half nothing but foam, this is not good if you want to actually drink your beer, because to get a drink tipping the mug back gets foam all over your nose, and with only half a mug you have to tip it back further than normal, and no one wants foam on their face and beer on their shirt because they had foam in their eyes.

For a good pour, you have to hold the mug at an angle and slowly pour the beer onto the inside top of the glass and allow it to flow towards the bottom, as the glass fills simply angle the glass to an upright position, and voila, you now have a full mug of beer with very little if any head, or foam at the top. This is what I did and low and behold the mug held every drop of beer from that giant can.

The only problem was that it was perfectly even with the rim, almost rounded up out of the glass like the slightest movement would send the liquid crashing onto the table, I did what any self respecting man would do, I sure didn't want to spill my beer and be accused of alcohol abuse, so I leaned over the mug and sucked the beer down to a respectable level, as I sat back upright I noticed Cindy standing there looking at me, she had just returned from the salsa bar and just stood there shaking her head, she didn't even ask...

Cindy was telling me about her experience while getting her chips and salsa, the chips part was easy because chips are chips, but there were about a dozen different salsas, Cindy is not a fan of spicy.

Salsa bar inside Mr. Taco restaurant
Self serve chips and salsa bar.
There was a young Hispanic man there at the same time she was, so she asked him about the salsas, he told her that he loved the green salsa and that he preferred the mild. The hot salsa was one one side and the mild on the other. She pointed in front of him and asked. Is this the mild sauce? And he replied. Give it a try. Cindy got a small container and scooped some into it, she dipped the tip of her pinkie finger into it and tasted it, she said that her mouth was immediately on fire.

She brought some for me to try and she was not exaggerating this stuff was really hot. I asked her what happened to her friend who told her to try it, she said he grabbed his chips and moved to the other end for the green sauce there instead.

About this time my fish tacos came out, the waitress walked up and said with a thick Mexican accent, "Breaded fish tacos?", I nodded my head, I was still concentrating on how this guy had suckered Cindy into tasting the hot sauce, the waitress sat the plate in front of me and walked away. Cindy pointed out to me that I had actually ordered grilled and not breaded, she flagged the waitress down, told her of the mixup and asked about her own order.

The waitress took back my plate and apologized, said she would check on Cindy's order and exchange mine for the grilled tacos. A little while later my grilled fish tacos arrived but  not Cindy's enchilada and taco, Cindy again asked about her order and the waitress again said that she would go and check on it.

To make a long story short, just about the time Cindy was getting up to go and check on it herself was when her order arrived, I could have eaten mine three times in the length that it took for Cindy's to come out.

Mr. Taco Review:

I thought that the fish tacos were really good and I would definitely order them again.

Cindy said they smelled really fishy.

Cindy hated the red sauce on her enchilada, and said the shredded chicken really didn't taste right.

Upon further inspection her shredded chicken was actually shredded beef, I tasted her red sauce and in my opinion it left a lot to be desired, kind of tasted like Tabasco with no kick to it.

Cindy loved the Spanish rice and said it was about the best that she had ever eaten, but that was the only good thing on her plate.

I am the wrong person to ask about Spanish rice so needless to say I didn't try it.

We both agree that Cindy's and my orders should have come to our table  at the same time.

The quality of Cindy's food was not good, and the service was mediocre at best.

I would give it another try, because my Tacos were good, the beer was good, and I didn't need a second one.

Cindy said she has no desire to go back again, if she had just ordered Spanish rice she said that she would have been happy, but everything else was so bad she won't even try them again.

Cindy and Jimmy looking at camera with angry looks because of poor service at Mr. Taco.
Cindy and Jimmy not happy with Mr. Taco
End result is I have to agree with her on this one, the bad outweighs the good and we will not return. Mr. Taco gets no thumbs up and Cindy's little friend who tricked her at the salsa bar gets one digit.

58 comments:

  1. You just never know if a place like Mr Taco is a hidden gem, or just a another dive. I can't believe that guy didn't tell Cindy where the mild sauces were, sounds like they weren't marked. He deserved a hidden habanero pepper in his next bite of salsa.
    I always wonder when situations like this occur, perhaps the manager wasn't there, or what? I hate when someone else's food arrives so early that if they don't eat it won't be hot anymore....in the meantime I'm holding a napkin at my chin to collect the drool because I'm starving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time places like this turn out to be really good, and like you said the problem with Mr. Taco could have been that the manager wasn't there, or even just an off day, but the food not coming out at the same time is enough in itself to give the restaurant a bad name.

      Cindy is still mad at the guy from the salsa bar, hopefully when he got back to his table his mild sauce turned out to be hotter than the stuff he tricked her into trying.

      It good to have you stop in, please come back anytime.

      Delete
  2. Well, you tried it and now you don't have to go back. If the food is this bad it won't last long and you'll drive by one day and it will be called something else.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandee, Very true if this place continues to have service like this they wont last long, because there are a whole lot of other places to go, as we will in the future.

      A great day to you too my friend.

      Delete
  3. Mexican restaurants are such a crap shoot. You are braver than I am. I never, ever send food back if the order is wrong. I'm afraid the cook will spit in it for making him/her do extra work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean, I really don't like to complain about my food either but if something is entirely wrong I have no problem asking for it to be exchanged for what I ordered, Cindy's should have been exchanged also but by that time we were just ready to get out of there.

      Delete
  4. THe salsa thing was just wrong! I don't much like spicy food or myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, I don't have a problem with spicy foods myself, but I really hate it when someone who doesn't like hot foods gets tricked into trying something without knowing that it is hot, I agree with you that is just wrong.

      Delete
  5. I always love trying new adventures, but sometimes they just don't work out. I'm a spicy gal, so the guy's trick wouldn't have worked on me at all (lol) Getting the wrong food twice on both your orders and having to wait had to be the pits. No more day trips to Mr. Taco! Happy Friday! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RO, I also love trying new places like this, I kid you not one time when I was working in Texas I passed a camper trailer on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere, with a sign that said beef tips and rice, I stopped and got myself an order and it was one of the best meals I ever had, only problem was I could never find them again.

      Delete
  6. As far as going to 'authentic' Mexican restaurants, we've been to all three kinds - the good, the bad, and the ugly. (sorry for that bit of plagiarism) It's a toss of the dice, the same as any other restaurant what kind of food or service you'll get. Can be different on different days of the week, too!
    Sounds like Mr. Taco is not the place to go though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sharon, You are right sometimes the service depends on the day like any other restaurant, but after this experience I'll never get Miss Cindy back in there ;-)

      Delete
  7. Lol, I love this post! The salsa bar cracked me up, as it's not something you'd ever find in these parts! We have just a few authentic Mexican joints. The good news is, I've always liked their food. The bad news is, they always get cited for health code violations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bijoux, This was the first time I had seen a salsa bar myself, that man is just lucky Cindy didn't see him again lol, whats a few health code violations when it comes down to getting a good meal...Right?

      Delete
  8. I like the spicy taste but can't handle the heat. Sorry the experience wasn't what you'd hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephen, I agree with you there is a big difference between spicy and hot, spicy I enjoy a whole lot better than hot foods also, I can eat hot but why torture yourself.

      I was hoping it would have been better too, but now we know.

      Delete
  9. Never eat Mexican food at a place that does not have a Mexican name unless its Taco bell.
    We eat Mexican food every Saturday night. I never get tired of that stuff. I am a fan of Mexican rice and my sauce just a little hot.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa, Cindy loves Mexican food too and once a week would suit her just fine, I like it and can eat it anytime but Cindy Loves it lol

      We have Taco Bell occasionally but for a good Mexican Restaurant there are two near us with names I have to really think about to pronounce, the food and service is always good at both of them.

      Delete
  10. Little rat bastard, setting Cindy up for 'scorch mouth'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Delores, She definitely got set up on that one, I read your comment to her and she said to tell you that she agrees with the name 100%

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Yes Mam, there will be no more Mr. Taco Fran.

      Delete
  12. I agree that the best restaurants tend to be the most unassuming holes in the wall. Too bad your experience with Mr. Taco wasn't up to par!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark, I have had really good luck with the hole in the wall restaurants for the most part, but sometimes it just doesn't work out, I had higher hopes for this place though.

      Delete
  13. Very funny account, especially the beer and the final line, but ah, it's so disappointing when the food just doesn't taste good, whether it's a new place or an old standby. We hardly ever eat out, so we have about four places that are acceptable and every other place gets passed by! If we have to eat out of town it takes us ages to pick a place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, If we ever get a bad meal that place is instantly scratched off the list for future visits, like you when we are out of town picking a place is harder, we usually try to find one that has a lot of cars in the parking lot, this is usually a good sign as for the quality.

      Delete
    2. I've often heard it said, if you're in a strange town and want a good feed, forget the tourist spots and ask a local, they know the good places usually.

      Delete
    3. Nice tip River, I'll have to remember that one, thank you.

      Delete
    4. Good idea, River. Only problem is that my husband won't stop to ask anyone!!

      Delete
    5. jenny_o; you do the asking for him, it's your stomach.

      Delete
  14. HA! I don't think we need to ask WHICH digit.

    Too bad it wasn't a good eating experience for both of you. We used to go to monthly "meet & eat" dinners with a bunch of ham radio operators. We tired a bunch of different places, and they were all pretty good. The one thing they had in common? My hubby ALWAYS got his meal last. No matter if he was the first of thirty to order... he got his last. The first couple times, it was funny. After that, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan, You know that digit wasn't a thumb ha ha.

      Cindy usually has the same luck as your Husband with her orders too, I have never figured that out either. If we were to all go out together it sounds like your husband and Cindy's meals should at least come out together :)

      Delete
  15. I hope the tables get turned on that 'clever' dude. Soon.
    And sigh on the service. Definitely a mixed review and not one to have you rushing back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello EC, I have a feeling he will get his before it's over with, Cindy said today that he has gotten himself some of the sauce he had her try and opted for the other after Cindy's reaction, next time she wont be there to be his taste tester.

      Delete
  16. So sorry to read that your experience was poor. If they are almost always crowded, perhaps you just went when someone was having a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mimi, I am hoping that was it, just a bad day for someone...obviously the cook for one, but Cindy wont be giving them a second chance.

      Good to see you Lady.

      Delete
  17. Even Steven will take care of the salsa dude when he least expects it. He was probably hoping that Cindy would take a big bite of it, and not just dip her finger in. At least you got a good beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Val, You are so right when salsa dude least expects it Even Steven will be there. Yep I believe he was just messing with her, I never did think it funny when someone tricks another into trying something that hot without warning them.

      Yes the beer was good anyways, and we didn't have to park next to the dumpster.

      Delete
  18. And that's when I would have written a review on Yelp or a similar site, letting others beware of the problems you encountered there. Too many negatives to make up for the positives. Better to spend your money elsewhere :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, I'll have to check and see if Cindy left a review on yelp, I know she had said there were a lot of negatives there, too bad we didn't look beforehand.

      Delete
  19. Definitely a thumbs down on the service and getting Cindy's food far more wrong than your breaded/grilled taco mix up. The image you've shown us is actually battered fish not breaded. I fail to see how any good kitchen could mix up shredded beef with shredded chicken, so I wouldn't be going back either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello River, You are right those fish tacos were battered, they were sure calling them breaded. There definitely were too many mix up's to suit us.

      Delete
  20. A local place called Willy Taco is really popular here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam, I was trying to remember one from when I was younger and lived there, I can almost recall their radio ads in my head, Pancho Villas...maybe? Tacos, Tamales, Enchiladas, Tostadas, and many many more mouth watering dishes...

      Delete
  21. Yikes, what a downer. Cindy really got the worst of it. What a mean sucker to point her towards the hot. Bet he was laughing in the corner. At least your curiosity was satisfied if not your appetites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patti, Cindy did get the worst end of the deal here, I am sure this guy will get his paybacks one day and it wont be funny to him then. We like trying new places and like you said at least our curiosity is satisfied now.

      Delete
  22. When the local Mexican Restaurant first opened it was great. Then it gradually went down hill. Now it's hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John, I like to see new businesses come in but really hate it when their service goes downhill once they get established, I usually expect them to not be so good at first and then get better as time goes on, it is a shame when it is just the opposite like you described.

      Delete
  23. Your stories are so darn funny Jimmy! The back and forth between you and Cindy is hilarious. There is nothing worse, than finally trying a restaurant, and being disappointed. You really liked your food, but that doesn't matter, because Cindy didn't like hers. You'll never go back! At least that is how it works in my house.

    Another reason I really like this post, is that you just saved me a possible restaurant disappointment. I'm assuming you went to the Mr. Taco in Redlands. That is also funny, because you call Redlands the "big city!"
    I go to Redlands quite a bit when I'm down that way, and have also driven past Mr. Taco. I've been thinking about stopping there myself. Now I won't, and I thank you (or maybe Cindy) for that.

    Speaking of Mexican food. Have you ever eaten at Maracas in Palm Springs? It is pretty darn good, and worth the drive if you are ever going that way. Sometimes when we go to the Thursday night "village fest" or "street fair" or whatever they call it, we go early and eat at Maracas. I also like the place in C.V. where we met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat, Yes sir that is the correct Mr. Taco location and it works the same in my house as it does in yours. We haven't been to Maracas in Palm Springs but will have to give it a try one day Thank you for the recommendation.

      El Charro where we met is still a really good place to go, it's close enough that we pick up from there sometimes since Cindy's Dad doesn't get out that much now.

      Delete
  24. Hilarious and I laughed at the last sentence. He was not nice doing that, such a low thing to do, like the person who put the hottest hot sauce in the ketchup bottle at one restaurant we went to a long time back. I love ketchup but I was on fire afterwards. It’s too bad the place wasn’t a keeper. Some of the hole in the wall places have been the best experience, others not so much. We have just returned to our local Mexican restaurant after new name and new ownership. It was great! Love the photo of you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Denise, Putting hot sauce into the ketchup bottle is really a low thing to do, not funny at all, sorry you had to go through that.

      I'm glad your local Mexican restaurant turned out to be so good after the name change and new owner, that is a good sign.

      Delete
  25. Oh, I like fish tacos, too!

    If we don't like a restaurant for whatever reason, we won't go there for a long time. After a long time, we figure both the staff and the menu has had a chance to turn over, and it could be good then. Of course, I have no idea how long a "long time" is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how it works here too, but as for now a long time is going to be too soon for Cindy.

      Delete
  26. Maybe if you'd have ordered breaded, you'd have gotten grilled fish the first time. And Cindy should've ordered beef if she wanted chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Abby, Cindy said to tell you this is a good idea and she wishes that we had actually tried that.

      Delete
  27. Don't think I've ever been to a Mexican restaurant. But I imagine they are popular over there. A delightful post nonetheless. Greetings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both love Mexican food, Cindy more so than me, there are a lot of the restaurants here.

      A great day to you.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.