Friday, September 8, 2017

Original Ding Dong

"Plink plonk", went the doorbell. This is sure a weak attempt at letting us know someone is at the door. Cindy's Dad has a physical therapist coming out to the house, and after his last hospital stay they sent a nurse in for four visits.

A finger pressing a doorbell button
"Plink plonk", goes the doorbell, so I get out of my chair to open the door. Where you going? Cindy's Dad asks. The physical therapist is here; I'm going to let her in. I tell him as I'm walking to the door. How do you know she is here? He asks. Because the doorbell rang, I say. I didn't hear no doorbell.

After the therapist leaves. I make a decision, which is normally overruled, and say. Dad that doorbell is getting pretty weak so I think I will get a wireless set. One that has two receivers so I can plug one in here where we sit, and one in the front room, that way we know when someone is here. He questions what I mean by wireless set. So I show him the set we bought for him to get our attention with.

A wireless doorbell set with two receivers and a doorbell button
I had actually bought a doorbell set for him a while back, one receiver is in Cindy's and my bedroom and the other out in the bunkhouse, where our computers are, Dad carries the button so if we are not with him and he needs us he can get our attention. This works really well at night, oh man it is really loud at night.

I thought that I would get another set and simply replace our existing doorbell button with the one from the new set and use it like it is intended, you know like a doorbell. Well what's wrong with the doorbell we have? He asks. So I explain again that you can barely hear the one we have. Then he tells me. There shouldn't be anything wrong with it, you just replaced it with a new one not long ago. No sir I replaced the button when we first came to stay with you, nine years ago.

Oh yeah, he says to me. That means the doorbell has never been replaced. Then Cindy asks. When do you want to replace that doorbell? I tell her about my decision to buy another wireless doorbell set, and place one in the front room, and one in the room where we sit, that way we can hear when someone rings the doorbell.

Oh no, She says, we should just replace the doorbell that's not working. Yes I can do that, I tell her, but for twenty four bucks I can order one from our favorite place that sells everything from A to Z and have it rushed to our door in two days. All I would have to do then is plug one in each room and replace the doorbell button with the new one, no wiring required.

Oh no, she again says, what if it interferes with the one we already have? It won't interfere. But what if when Dad pushes his button that we don't know whether it's him or someone at the door? She asks. Simple, I tell her, we just set the doorbell to a different sound than Dad's. Nope I don't like it we will just go and get a new doorbell.

Overruled I find myself going to the big orange warehouse lumberyard/ big box store to buy a doorbell with Cindy. They had choices but the cheapest one that she liked was forty bucks. I suggested skipping this and going back to my original plan. Nope we are already here so we will just get this one, she informs me. And we are off to the registers, which are on the opposite side of the store over in the lumberyard.

Then suddenly like a hen on a June bug, Cindy is diving into the clearance rack, she comes out holding a doorbell like the one we wanted marked ten dollars and three cents, satisfied with her find she lays the forty buck one down and continues walking.

Why was that one marked down so cheap? I hear Cindy's Dad ask her. At the time I am up on a step stool removing the old doorbell. I don't know Dad. It looked like the package had been opened. She replies to him. I now have the package opened and everything is there except the little hardware package, which isn't a big deal because I can simply use the screws from the old one.

Cindy's Dad tells her. There must have been something wrong with it to be marked down like that. I am now back up on the stool connecting the wires, I push the test button and hear a loud "DING DONG" nice, then I hold it down for a different tone... nothing. No big deal as long as we get the original Ding Dong.

I heard that, is that as loud as it goes? Cindy's Dad asks. I don't know Dad. Cindy replies. Is that as loud as it goes Jimmy? Yes that is as loud as it goes, I reply. Yes that's as loud as it goes Dad, Cindy says. It'd be nice if you could turn it up louder; maybe that's why it was marked down. He tells her.

I now have the wiring done and hold it up to attach it to the wall, and of course the screw holes don't line up, so I drop the doorbell down and move it over to where at least one does line up, I now have one screw firmly holding our bargain basement doorbell bell in place, I push the test button one more time "DING DONG" thumbs up. I climb down and go to the front door and press the button, and nothing happens, no DING DONG, plink plonk, nothing.

I can hold the button down and it will ring, but nothing if I press it normally. To make a long story short for this doorbell to work you have to install to the connections of the doorbell button a little diode that looks like a hair with a lump in the middle that is included in the doorbells "HARDWARE PACKAGE" which we don't have.

Cindy's Dad is laughing so hard while I take the doorbell down and place it back into the previously opened package that I had torn open again. The return was easy at the orange warehouse lumber yard/ big box store, Cindy pockets her ten bucks and change while I again suggest my original plan of getting a wireless set.

Nope we are here, let's just get the 39.99 doorbell we came for. Cindy and I walk back to the doorbell display and guess what, that particular doorbell slot is empty, sold out, gone...

Cindy rejects everything else they have to offer, rejects my once again suggestion to order a wireless set, and against my better judgment while she is browsing I walk over to the clearance rack and pick up the original doorbell that we were going to buy. You remember the one Cindy left behind when she found the clearance one earlier.

Cindy yells to me from the doorbell display, No Jimmy we are not getting another clearance doorbell! It's not a clearance one; this is the first one you had. I reply. I didn't know the girl could move so fast. Next thing I know she has the doorbell in hand and is heading for the self-checkout.

First thing I did was install the little diode that looks like a hair with a lump in the middle into the doorbell button, and then I hooked up the wires to the doorbell. The test button works, all the other tones work, and before I drill any holes or attach any screws, I go to the front door and push the doorbell button...

Success! It works. Cindy's Dad yells. Is that someone at the door? No Dad it's Jimmy putting up the new doorbell. I hear Cindy tell him. Well I hope he got a better one than that cheap one he had.

DING DONG, How about that Dad? I ask. How about what? The doorbell how does that sound? I ask again. "DING DONG" that's kind of low, can you turn it up? It's already all the way up. I tell him. I selected a different tone. DING DING DING DING DONG, DONG DONG DONG DING DONG. That's a nice tone he says.

When I hear this, I place the cover on the doorbell and climb down, I am picking up my tools when Cindy comes in and says. I can't believe Dad is having a hard time hearing that. Well her Dad heard Cindy say that. He yells, I don't know why you are working on that doorbell anyway, spending good money for nothing, because I won't answer the door even if I could hear it.

Cindy looks at me and whispers, I hate to say this but we should have just ordered the wireless set...

42 comments:

  1. Ha Ha! That is funny. This puts me in mind of a story that I think I'll use for my next post, it isn't funny though. Thanks, Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Sharon, Isn't it funny how we can read a post on someone's blog and their words ring a bell and reminds you of something to write about, this is one of the great things about blogging, we interact with one another and also share ideas in a sense.

      You saying this reminded you of something to post about is really an honor to me. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. OMG! This is so funny it could be an episode on a situation comedy.

    I see Tim Allen as Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, Some days I feel like real life is funnier than TV...I like Tim Allen, I'd go for that haha.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes the simplest projects turn into full blown messes, don't they?

    Every time we pull into a big box store, I have to hear my husband say, "Let's do this!" like the commercial,😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bijoux, The simple projects always turn out more than just simple, I think going to the big box stores is a mess in itself too ha ha.

      "Let's do this!" I can just see you two now ;)

      Delete
  4. We live in a rural part of our county. We someone rings the doorbell and we didn't invite anyone over. We always look out the window. It happened about a week ago and we couldn't figure out who it was. There wasn't a package so it wasn't the mailman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam, You never know anymore, especially when someone you don't know shows up.

      Delete
  5. Bwahahahahahahahahaha. That was a lot of work for something he has no intention of using. You're both so nice though.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Cindy and Jimmy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandee, Yeah he is so funny, waited till it was done then said "makes no difference to me if it works or not"

      Delete
  6. I just read in another blog that wireless doorbells can sometimes ring when a neighbor opens or closes a garage door. Disappointing because I was going to get one. I need a louder bell, but I'm really glad I don't have to shop with a committee like you do, Jimmy. Great fodder for a blog post, though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean, the one we have works great for Cindy's Dad, although we don't use it as a doorbell, it still works good for him to call us if he needs us at night or if we are in our computer room.

      I wonder if the doorbell that rings when the neighbors open their garage door, if when they have visitors who ring the doorbell if the neighbors garage door opens... that would be funny :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my, this sounds like an episode from our life when we are trying to fix something for my mom, except she gets a tad more exasperated than your father-in-law. While my husband is a patient guy like you, I'm not so much ... well told story, I had to wipe my eyes twice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny, It sounds like we are on the same page here, wish me luck we are now in deliberations over a portable ramp for the back door, my measurements are being changed haha. May be a future post brewing...

      Seriously you and your husband know the challenges in caring for a loved one, you have to find humor in it or else it's no fun ;)

      Thank you Jenny it's good to see you.

      Delete
  8. If not Tim Allen, how about Seinfeld?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fran, If Tim is too busy I suppose we could call Jerry in ;)

      Delete
  9. OMG.......how many times has the hubs said, "You were right, we shoud purchased/sold/installed/done...this or that" It's enough to drive a drinking man sober as my Dad would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Delores, I like that statement from your Dad, Isn't it funny how our shoulda, coulda, woulda's come out at the end of the projects.

      Delete
  10. What a funny struggle and you really are a patient sort. Big time kudos for making it all work and it did make for a fun post. Win/win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patti, It did turn into a win/win didn't it, Thank you my friend I am glad you had a good time reading it.

      Delete
  11. Aaaaagh. So very familiar. Right down to items on clearance because they don't (and won't) work.
    Well told, but I am glad I wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello EC, I was just happy the original doorbell she picked out was still there, I should have known better than to agree with the clearance bell haha.

      Delete
  12. I agree that this could be a funny sitcom. I don't think I've ever replaced a doorbell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephen, I have replaced them before but have to admit this one took the longest.

      Thank you Sir.

      Delete
  13. We had a doorbell that didn't work for over 10 years. Despite my "occasional reminders" to Hick. Then he bought a wireless one and put it in. Took less than 10 minutes. I don't know what lit a fire under him that day.

    If it was just me, I'd probably go back to using a door knocker thingy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Val, Hick comes through again, that was my intention too I wanted a ten minute fix but, well ok we can't all be as good as Hick... I like that guy.

      We never had a doorbell for a long time either, if you didn't hear someone at the door they just knocked louder.

      Delete
  14. Frankly, I would be happy if we didn't have a doorbell or a phone, both capable of delivering bad news, but I suppose if I had to have either, I would want the doorbell I could easily hear over one that was not that audible. Cute story :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, Yes a phone or doorbell either one are capable of being the bearer of bad news, but we also have to consider the fact that they also deliver more good news, conversation, and visits from friends and family.

      Good or bad news will be delivered regardless I suppose, a doorbell or phone are just a luxury You could say, like you said a doorbell is a good choice between the two.

      Good to see you Betty.

      Delete
  15. Well you know what to do next time. Or now. Order the wireless set without telling anyone and stash it until needed. I don't have a doorbell, in a place this tiny I don't need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello River, That is exactly what I will do, just order the stuff and install it while no one is looking ;) I have thought that I should have done that to begin with.

      That is a luxury of living in a small place, you can easily hear when someone is at your door.

      Delete
  16. If I were you I would sneak out and buy the one you wanted in the first place....lol. It made a brilliant read though. I have battery operated bells, one on the front door and two strategically places elsewhere. It came with a list of sounds as long as your arm. Heehee, I shopped alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, Your bells sound like exactly what I wanted to buy for here, there are about fifty different sounds including a few Christmas songs. Like I said to River, I should have just ordered what I wanted, but if I had I suppose you would have read a different post here today ;)

      Delete
  17. Thats it! You need a "Vlog!" (Or a sitcom) So I can see your stories. Always hillarious!
    And you know the wife always wins!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa, Thank you for your confidence and most of all for being here, the drawback for me if I started a Vlog, being raised in the South I wonder how many people would scratch their heads and ask "What did he say?" haha.

      Lisa you are 100% right, the wife does always win.

      Delete
  18. Haha.....sometimes as they age they get harder to handle!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pam, Yes they do become a bit more of a challenge, when it comes to stating their opinions they completely lose their filter as my wife says haha.

      I am glad to have you stop by, please come back anytime.

      Delete
  19. I think it's a law or something...any visit to a big box hardware store is ALWAYS followed by a SECOND visit to a big box hardware store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are on to something there, anytime I have gone to the big box hardware store there has always been a return visit involved...probably an unwritten law out there somewhere.

      Delete
  20. Great story. I wanted to buy a wireless doorbell but my wife just wants people to knock even though we can't hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wireless set we have for Cindy's Dad to use works really well, the next time I have to install a doorbell it will be one of these sets.

      Maybe you can slip a set in and your wife won't notice until someone comes to visit.

      Delete
  21. Once again, your story tells us about life with some laughter thrown in for good measure. And can I tell you, mad props for being able to figure out that wiring stuff. I would have been hopelessly lost. Hope your weekend has been fantastic! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RO, Thank you my friend it has been a good weekend here, it looks like the hurricane is turning away from you so hopefully you will not get too much from it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.