Friday, October 13, 2017

Time for Breakfast

Back when the kids were all living at home and going to school, we barely had time in the morning to grab a cup of coffee and toss them a bowl of cereal before running out the door. With me heading off to work and Cindy firing up "Mom's Taxi" to haul the kids and their many friends who liked to hitch a ride to both the elementary and middle schools.

Time for breakfast on the weekends was much more relaxed, Cindy actually had time to cook eggs and bacon, biscuits and gravy, toast and jelly, you know all of your breakfast favorites. On Sunday mornings I took to the kitchen cooking grits and eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, pancakes, and for the younger kids I would pour a pancake into the shape of their first initial, or the famous "Mickey mouse pancake" that most of us have made at least once.

Mickey mouse is pretty easy to make, just pour out a circle then add two smaller circles at the top to form the ears, now the trick is to not lose an ear when you flip the pancake, if you do lose an ear just continue cooking with both ears removed and offer mini pancakes to go along with the Mickey pancakes that you will be successful at flipping after a couple of attempts.

My wife Cindy with her arm around our son Tim's neck standing in front of the kitchen stove with two pans in front of them.

While the kids were visiting us last week Tim decided that he would cook breakfast for us, out of self defense Cindy decided to help him because Tim is one of those kids who can walk into the kitchen and every cupboard door seems to spring open, along with the refrigerator and oven doors, he is a really good cook but I do remember him once making cookies and I literally found flour on the kitchen ceiling...

My son Tim cracking eggs into a bowl to scramble, standing next to the kitchen stove with a frying pan on top.

Tim started out by asking everyone how they wanted their eggs cooked, he committed all the orders to memory then went into the kitchen and made the executive decision to simply crack all of the eggs into a bowl and scramble them, I think his mom helped to make this decision.

They actually worked in precision, it was almost like their hands were moving in a blur while the eggs were scrambled, bacon was cooked, bread was toasted, pancakes were poured, the smells of breakfast filled the house, it was wonderful to sit back and enjoy this scene.

My wife Cindy and son Tim cooking bacon and eggs in front of the stove

Cindy was in charge of the bacon, she cooked up regular bacon for everyone and Turkey bacon for me since the doctor has me not eating pork. Cindy cooks the turkey bacon extra crispy so it tastes more like regular bacon, otherwise it can be a little tough.

I sat and listened to Tim lecture me on the benefits and taste of "real" bacon, his lingering questions were:

Where does Turkey bacon really come from?

Have you ever seen a pig in the wild with feathers?

How can they call something bacon when there are no bacon ingredients involved?

Tim ended his rant about bacon stating that it was sacrilegious to call turkey bacon bacon when there was no bacon in it, I just sat there crunching on my Turkey bacon while he talked, I handed a piece to him and he took a bite while he was still talking.

Hey Mom, you did good on this bacon, he said to Cindy. I'm not sure if I ever told him that he was eating Turkey bacon or not.

Earlier while Cindy and Tim were still cooking, I did learn something important for all of us to remember. My lesson began when I asked what was on the menu. They told me, and I just had to ask. Don't you think that you could cook some grits to go along with the eggs, and some biscuits and gravy too? Then I made the mistake of  telling them the proper way to cook the grits.

my son Tim and his Mother Cindy laughing and offering a box of Cheerios as an answer to my cooking suggestions.
Never tell the cooks how to do it while you are sitting and watching, you just may not like the answer.

46 comments:

  1. I love this! You have a great touch for finding and writing about humor in every day situations.

    I have never tasted turkey bacon, but you have wondering what it's actually made of since I've never seen a turkey with much of a butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean, Tim has me wondering what it is made of also ha ha, there wouldn't be much turkey butt at all.

      Delete
  2. Weekend breakfast - my favorite meal!
    I've tried turkey bacon on the bacon eaters at my house. It gets a big "no".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Abby, I love weekend breakfasts and breakfast for supper too.

      Most people prefer the real bacon over turkey, but for me the turkey bacon is better than none, especially since Cindy has figured out the best way to cook it ;-)

      Delete
  3. I'm sure they had a great time making breakfast. Don't believe I would have asked for anything. Ha Ha :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sharon, They always have a good time in the kitchen, and I should have known better than to say anything, I'm lucky they didn't serve me the Cheerios ha ha

      Delete
  4. They say it's the most important meal, but how many times do people skip it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very True Adam, You hear of people skipping breakfast all of the time, I can't do that myself.

      Delete
  5. This was a fun read. I love breakfast! I always make my daughter pancakes on her birthday in the shape of her first initial. We call them "A" cakes. I love bacon! THE REAL KIND. But since I have been on a diet, I have learned to eat turkey bacon. It has to be crunchy or its like eating rubber. My eggs? with a runny yellow. We always called it "an egg with a moon on it". Mom knew what we meant. Then we would dip our toast in the center. yummmm good gravy I'm hungry!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa, just listening to your description made me want breakfast right now lol.

      Delete
  6. Turkey bacon is the only kind we eat any more and that's only a couple of times a year. Good tip to make it crispy - maybe my husband will like it better that way! It sounds like you have the whole banquet for breakfast (well maybe not the WHOLE banquet, but close).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny, We always end up with one of those meals where you can say "If you go away hungry, it's your own fault" and believe you me we never go away hungry.

      Yes try the crispy turkey bacon for your husband, I like it much better this way.

      Delete
  7. HA! The first rule of cooking: never ever criticize the cook, or you're gonna be doing the rest of the cooking yourself. :)

    I love typical breakfast foods, but we usually eat fruit and cereal during the week, with an occasional hot breakfast on a Wednesday, too, if my hubby's been a good boy. I have a nice corned beef brisket in the fridge, and I know we'll enjoy it for dinner, but I'll enjoy the hash I'll make with the leftovers even more... with poached eggs on top, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan, Do you ever make Breakfast for supper? I really like doing this and it throws an excellent idea for an easy meal when you just can't think of something else to make.

      Delete
  8. Now you have done it and made me hungry. I haven't had any of that great tasting stuff in a couple of years. Sigh. Funny how you sneaked the turkey bacon in on Tim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patti, I think Tim was too busy talking to notice ha ha, he never said anything so either he didn't notice or didn't want to let on, either one could be true.

      Delete
  9. Tim may be a bacon lover but he's obviously not a bacon connoisseur!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fran, I was really surprised that he didn't say something about it, other than compliment his Mom on it, she did make it crispy so he didn't have the tough rubbery consistency that he expected ;-)

      Delete
  10. I will have to look, but I don't think we have turkey bacon here. And my vegetarian self won't be trying it if we do.
    Isn't it sad that it is always the foods we love that the doctors put on the NO list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello EC, I didn't much expect that you would be trying the turkey bacon, my daughter is also a vegetarian and she is really particular about what she eats, it is amazing how many foods served at restaurants as vegetarian really aren't.

      You are completely right the doctors seem to know the foods that we love and always add those to the no list.

      Delete
  11. Don't harass the cook/s, you may find yourself washing the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lordy Delores, I am surprised that I didn't get sentenced to dish duty.

      Delete
  12. I've had the turkey bacon before....my condolences, Jimmy! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bijoux, I am glad you understand...Try it crispy sometimes, your view probably won't change though. Lol.

      Delete
  13. We were never big breakfast people. Not when I was a kid, or when I raised my kids, or now that Hick and I are both retired. The one time I could count on a big breakfast every year was Christmas morning, next door at my grandparents house, and my grandpa cooked it. Then tried to persuade everybody to put ketchup on their biscuits and gravy, and salsa on their eggs. Thank goodness the pickled pigs feet stayed in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Val, I've had salsa on my eggs before and it's not bad, but can't see ketchup on biscuits and gravy, I'd also be with you and leave the pickled pigs feet alone.

      Delete
  14. It sounds like it was fun and enjoyable and delicious, and no, you don't tell others how to do it unless you want them to invite you to do so.

    Also you may be on the Cardiologist Diet, which is, "If it tastes good, spit it out!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mimi, I do know better than that but it's so hard not to mess with Tim ha ha, I probably should wait until after the meal though.

      Oh yes that is the exact diet my Cardiologist has me on "If it tastes good, spit it out!" I like how you described it.

      Delete
  15. You should see what those cardiologists and cardiac surgeons eat (worked for both of them). A strip of "real" bacon occasionally won't necessarily kill you; just do a bit more cardio for the next few days! Sounded like lots of fun to have Tim and Cindy work in the kitchen and for you all to enjoy the fruits of their labors.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, Most Doctors are excellent healthcare providers to everyone but themselves it appears.

      Tim and Cindy are pretty much two peas in a pod, they are funny to sit back and watch, they are both really good cooks too.

      Delete
  16. I don't think I've ever had that many foods for breakfast. I'll have pancakes and nothing else but coffee, or eggs and toast, then coffee. Bacon is rare for me, maybe once a year. Adding grits or anything else is just too much food. For me anyway.
    My usual Monday to Friday breakfast is hot porridge with brown sugar and cinnamon in winter, sometimes with finely diced dried fruits in it as well, in summer it's yoghurt and bananas. Coffee only if I'm not going anywhere, water always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello River, I love a bowl of oatmeal with butter and an artificial sweetener (diabetic so I skip the brown sugar), with wheat toast also, I am assuming your porridge is similar to this from your description. Usually Cheerios and coffee is what I have, big breakfasts are a rarity anymore, except of course when the kids arrive ha ha.

      Delete
  17. I could almost smell breakfast as I read this. Best meal of the day, I think. Never heard of turkey bacon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, Breakfast has always been my favorite meal, anytime of the day a meal with breakfast dishes is a treat for me also.

      Turkey bacon and sausage and also chicken sausage are good alternatives when on a cardiac diet that limits pork, they are more bland and the bacon a bit tougher if not cooked crispy, we have a lot of options like this for health conscious diets, I'd be surprised to hear they are not offered there.

      It's great to see you this morning Valerie.

      Delete
  18. How fun. I remember breakfasts like this many years ago. We quit doing breakfast. We eat, but not the typical breakfast anymore. Need to do one now and then.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sandee, You can't go wrong with a good ole breakfast like this, I believe we all get out of the habit though, but it just makes it more special when we do make a good breakfast. I agree you should do one now and then.

      A great day to you Sandee.

      Delete
  19. A fun post about one of my favorite meals of the day. I haven't had grits in a while and now I'm wishing I had some in the pantry. Next shopping list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Denise, Grits was always a staple when I was growing up, not so much now because of the starchy content but I do love them. Yes you have to add them to the shopping list if you don't have any.

      Delete
  20. My husband would often cook wonderful Southern breakfasts for me. Reading this made me miss them, and him, of course. Not sad though, more just happy for you guys having such a great family time together. Who cares about where the bacon came from as long as it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Inger, I am glad this reminded you of a happy memory with your husband, I hope one day the kids can look back on this and smile just like you.

      I agree who cares where it comes from as long as it tastes good, and I am happy with the flavor ;-)

      Delete
  21. I would have loved to be a little birdie in that kitchen with Cindy and Tim. Mother and son time is always hilarious no matter what task they are attempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie, Sitting back and watching these two do anything together is entertaining, it's always a laugh and especially in the kitchen.

      Delete
  22. Then I made the mistake of telling them the proper way to cook the grits.

    Yeah, maybe its just our Southern roots but grits have to be right. Some folks think there a weird type of Cream of Wheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is it exactly, you don't cook grits quickly and you definitely don't treat them like Cream of Wheat.

      Delete
  23. Enjoyed this post! I eat oatmeal six days a week, but on Sunday, I make eggs, bagels or toast, sausage (turkey sausage), the works.

    Sometimes I make breakfast foods for dinner. A great idea in a pinch when you need something quick. Egg sandwiches are perfect for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lordy do I love egg sandwiches, I can eat an egg sandwich almost anytime. Sunday is a great day to fix the works for breakfast, I had never eaten the turkey bacon or sausage until after my heart issues, and I really like it to tell you the truth.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.