Wednesday, November 1, 2017

WFW - Blowing in the wind

Elephants Child is providing our prompts this month in the Words for Wednesday writing challenge, this is a fun challenge so please join in, all you have to do is write a story, poem, or whatever comes to mind. Use some of the words or all of them, and also the image if you want to.

If you join in leave a comment on Elephant Child's blog so everyone else can enjoy your addition.

This weeks prompts are:

ancient, bedraggled, fortunate, cap, narrow, evaluate
and/or
arouse, frail, execute, herbs, unwieldy, dusty

I am going to conclude the story There you are that I started last Wednesday. Enjoy.

Blowing in the wind

Maggie reached her FRAIL hand out to pick up the diary from the nightstand, she always loved that diary, Jonathan won it for her in a silent auction just last year, or was it the year before?

The small diary was unusually UNWIELDY when she tried to lift it, and thumbing through the BEDRAGGLED pages was confusing because her diary was still new, how could it look so ANCIENT already. Jonathan wasn't going to like this, where is he anyway.

Maggie couldn't believe that he wasn't at the harvest festival earlier today, he sure didn't miss much, they had all the old people pushed together around a NARROW table, and Maggie right in the middle. They said all the food was homemade but I swear that chicken was the Colonels eleven HERBS and spices, she was telling the old lady beside her, when she AROUSEd the attention of the lady in a white suit, who came and took Maggie away from the festival, you would think they were going to EXECUTE her for complaining about the chicken.

A red stop sign on a pole with flowers above and trees in the background
Maggie found herself standing on the corner looking up at the stop sign, the street signs read Fifth and Maple, Maggie thought hard to EVALUATE whether she should go right or left. She stepped off the curb and walked straight across the road. Honk!! The car sat in the road blowing his horn, she stood in front of his bumper and shook her finger at him, he was FORTUNATE that Maggie was in a hurry or she'd give him a piece of her mind...people can be so rude she thought.

Maggie continued walking down the street, looking left and right, her house was here somewhere, then all of a sudden there it was. Maggie walked across the yard and noticed that it was overgrown, she would have to get Jonathan out here with his mower, he never lets it grow up like this.

She sat down on the DUSTY steps and pulled her diary out of her pocket, the worn pages were full of writing, and right in the middle was a newspaper clipping along with a picture of Jonathan, she loved that picture she took it last summer when they went down to the beach, Jonathan always looked good in that old tee-shirt and CAP.

Mrs. Smithson! someone called, but Maggie was busy looking at the pile of dead flower pedals lying on the step next to her, they had fallen from the dried out wreath hanging on the post above her head. Mrs. Smithson! look this way Mrs. Smithson.

Maggie looked back down at Jonathan's picture, Mrs. Smithson! She slid the picture aside and looked at the clipping. Why would she have something like this in her diary, a tear hit the page as she read the words, Jonathan Michael Smithson 80, passed away yesterday...my Jonathan ain't that old he won't think this is funny, I wonder who this old man with Jonathan's name is?

The Police officer lifted Maggie to her feet, Mrs. Smithson you need to come with me, Maggie saw the woman in the white suit standing with her hands on her hips at the end of the walkway.

As she was being pulled away, Maggie looked back at her home and saw that her diary was lying on the ground with the pages flapping in the wind, the newspaper clipping and picture of Jonathan were blowing across the yard. She reached her hand back towards the house and yelled Jonathan!!

(Alzheimer's and Dementia hits all our families in one way or another, we have had our share and I am not making light of the conditions here, just wanted to bring attention to it's cruelty...more happy stuff next time.)

30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes Delores it actually is, I agree with you 100%

      Delete
  2. Good story! I wrote a short on it myself, some time back. Terribly sad, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, Subjects like this we seem to avoid, but I think we should continue writing about conditions we have first hand knowledge of occasionally, like you writing about Dementia also, simply helps others to recognize the condition and helps us learn how to help those suffering with it to deal with life.

      Delete
  3. My goodness Jimmy you have really hit a cord of truth and sadness. What great stories you conjure up. Glad you finished this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alzheimers and Dementia are really hard ones to deal with, there is the sadness that a really smart person is slowly losing their mind so to say, I think this is a good place to end this one for now. Thank you Annie, I appreciate you my friend.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, but sad!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are indeed cruel things to happen to once vibrant folks. Yes, it touches all families.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the hard part about it is watching once really intelligent people forget everything including their loved ones, we have all seen it and a lot of us have cared for loved ones going through it, yes it touches each and every one of our lives in one way or another.

      A great day to you too Sandee.

      Delete
  6. A nice ending to the story, although sad as well. One day soon perhaps, Maggie will meet her Jonathan again and they'll walk hand in hand again in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Maggie will meet her Jonathan again and they'll walk hand in hand again in heaven." Very lovely words River and also a whole lot better and truthful place to end this tale. Thank you my friend.

      Delete
  7. Sad and beautiful. Dementia is a truly cruel illness, both for those who have it and the people who care about them. I hope Maggie and Jonathon can be reunited. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dementia is very hard to watch progress in a loved one, Maggie and Jonathan will indeed be reunited soon, because from my experience once an individual begins talking to loved ones who have passed, their end is always near. I have watched this happen.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen, Your words mean a lot to me my friend.

      Delete
  9. Far from making light of dementia, you have in my opinion given it a personal touch and made it very real. And the reality is that it's sad for everyone involved. Very well done, kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was simply afraid that using such a serious condition in a word challenge twice may look like I didn't appreciate the severity of Dementia, when in fact I really want everyone to see it for what it is and to learn patience for those who are suffering with it.

      It is a sad situation for everyone involved and there is nothing textbook about it from what I have seen.

      Thank you Jenny, I am honored.

      Delete
  10. You made the pain, loss and fright so very real. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you Patti, Pain, Loss, and Fright pretty much sums it up, I am happy that it came across as it should have.

      Delete
  11. I wouldn't/didn't for one minute think your story was making light of dementia and Alzheimer's. You are a good story teller and good story tellers know how to evoke their readers to experience a range of emotion. Well done, Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so humbled by your words Jean, Thank you so much, I'm glad the story came across well and that everyone could see where I was going with it.

      Delete
  12. I'm really hoping that Maggie is not in any trouble, and that the lady in white keeps a closer eye on her in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Val, The whole walking away from the facility came from an actual event that happened to a lady we knew who had Dementia, she walked out the front door and the powers that be didn't know she was even gone until a Sheriff's Deputy brought her back two hours later, the family was livid and after moving her to a different facility she received much better care, the original facility eventually went out of business.

      As for Maggie I feel she will get much better care in the future.

      Delete
  13. So, so sad. Jimmy. I pray to God I never go down that route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand that Valerie, I pray to God none of us do.

      Delete
  14. As sad as it is that Alzheimer's or Dementia has to even exist for those who fall victims of it, or for those who have to be around it is, I must say Jimmy, your story was very well written! I love the smoothness in your writing, it truly took me the reader there, for I could visualize everything as I was reading along, which to me, means you're an excellent writer!

    If you'd like to stop by my place to see some of the things I write about as well, I'd love having you, just click on my name in this comment of mine, and you'll be taken there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lon, I appreciate your comment about my writing and I am happy that you chose to join us. I will be glad to stop by your blog for a visit also.

      Delete
  15. Sad but it rings true. I've had enough of Alzheimer's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Sir, I too have seen more than I am comfortable with.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.