Sunday, November 19, 2017

The lost cell phone that wasn't

After our last Friday night pizza routine with the kids, we had a little situation that a lot of you can probably relate to. After a meal out there always seems to be something that happens, for us the biggest issue is usually leaving the to-go box behind, but this time Tim lost something a lot more near and dear to his heart...

We pushed Ray out to the car in his wheelchair, and got everybody and everything loaded, Benjamin had his possessions and we even remembered the pizza that was in the "to-go box", everyone was relaxed enjoying the nice feeling of a great evening and a full belly, Cindy put the car in reverse and was backing away from the restaurant when Tim yelled. Wait, wait, wait, has anybody got my phone!

Cindy hit the brakes throwing my head back into the headrest, and Tim is patting all of his pockets, the girls are looking through their purses, and Tim says, Last time I saw my phone it was laying on the table next to the pizza box, did anybody pick it up?

What's the matter? Cindy's dad asks. We are looking for Tim's phone, Cindy tells him. Tim's what? Phone, his what? Phone! Bone? Phone!! Oh where's his phone? We're looking for it Dad! Oh for God's sake can't these kids keep up with anything? He says.

Cindy picks up her phone and makes a call, Who are you calling? Her Dad asks. I'm calling Tim's phone. Why are you doing that, don't you know he lost it?

Elisa (Tim's wife) jumps out of the car and walks back into the restaurant. She notices that our table hasn't been cleared yet, expecting to find Tim's phone right where he left it she makes her way over to the table, the cell phone is not there.

She looks under all the discarded napkins on the table, and also checks the floor in case it was dropped and kicked underneath the table, nothing no cell phone anywhere. Thinking one of the employees may have picked it up she goes up to the counter to ask.

Now she has to wait in line because all of a sudden the New York Pizzeria is busy and there is only one person at the counter, while she waits Elisa is trying to listen for Tim's ringtone behind the counter, she knows that Cindy is calling it, this ain't her first rodeo as they say, she and Cindy have teamed up before looking for someone's lost cell phone.

Elisa has already imagined that someone behind that counter has her husband's phone and is probably going through all of his pictures, Oh No Not Tim's Pictures!, they are probably listening to his music, and ordering stuff off of Amazon on Tim's dime...She is mad now.

Back in the car everyone has settled down and stopped looking for the missing phone, Cindy and her Dad have stopped talking because Ray now understands the situation, Cindy has shut the engine off, and Benjamin has fallen asleep, the noise level in the car drops to nil, nada, zero, nothing, all of a sudden you could hear a pin drop, and guess what...

Young man in a tee shirt holding out a cell phone at arms length covering his face.
A "not so lost" cell phone.
I faintly hear a sound, a very quiet version of Tim's ringtone, I look over and see Tim's face frozen in fear as he reaches around into his back pocket and pulls out his cell phone. Oh my God! He yells as he jumps out of the car.

Elisa has just gotten to the counter and has begun asking about Tim's phone that by now she has convinced herself was stolen from the table, the clerk has denied that anyone has been out to retrieve anything from the table yet, and just before Elisa unleashes the wrath of the crazy lady looking for her stolen cell phone the front door bursts open.

Everyone turns to look at the door where Tim is peeking inside motioning for Elisa to come outside, she holds up her finger telling him to wait a minute, Tim holds his cell phone up and points to it. Elisa puts a fake smile on her face and apologizes to the clerk, she then turns back towards Tim and mouths "I hate you!" as she begins walking his way.

Tim did the only smart thing that he could at the time, he turned and ran for the car.

56 comments:

  1. All too familiar. And yes, Tim knew when to run...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes EC, Tim did use his good sense there, I would have ran myself had it been me ha ha.

      Delete
  2. I always freak out when I don't feel mine in my pocket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people do the exact same thing, I don't have one myself but if I ever get one I'll probably do the same thing also.

      Delete
  3. We have had similar things happen here, with phones, wallets, credit cards. It's embarrassing when it's on your person though! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bijoux, and when you find it on your person no one lets you live it down either, at least they don't around here. ha ha

      Delete
  4. Your story got me thinking when I was a young child looking all around the house for my stocking cap which I couldn't find anywhere until I scratched my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lon that sounds so familiar, I have done the same thing looking for my glasses.

      Delete
  5. Once I lost something that I later found in the refrigerator! I can't remember what it was but it did not belong there.

    Sometimes my wife Lynette and I blame it on "gremlins" when something gets lost, especially when it turns up in a strange place.

    Now I count four main items when I leave the house or travel somewhere; keys, cell phone, glasses and wallet. I'ts become an obsession. I might count them two or three times or more before I leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gremlins, John that sounds like a very likely reason for missing items, I may have to blame some of mine on Gremlins here too ha ha.

      Excellent thing to get accustomed to doing before you leave the house in checking for your keys, cell phone, glasses and wallet. If we all did that would save a lot of misery.

      Delete
  6. I lose things all the time, and usually find them right in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephen, either there or in the last place you look ;)

      Delete
  7. I got a big kick out of this story and know it's a common scenario across the world. I've only lost mine once, had a friend call it and it had slid under the passenger seat. I was so glad to hear it ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, isn't it funny how a cell phone can find it's way underneath the car seats like that, I have actually seen that happen.

      Delete
  8. That is funny, and it could have been worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sir, it could have been a whole lot worse...she could have caught him.

      Seriously Joe you are 100% right, a lot of information is stored on cell phones now days.

      Delete
  9. Funny he didn't check his back pocket first.....at least once I've run around the house looking for my keys ~ they were in my hand, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised he didn't find it his pocket to begin with either, the look on his face was priceless when he realized it was there.

      Oh Lordy I think we have all had the major search operation for a lost set of keys, can't say that I ever found them in my hand but have found them lying right out in the open shining like a beacon on the table, lol.

      Delete
  10. Been there, done that. Haha but as soon as you mention Cindys dad, I start to laugh. I die laughing at you quoting his conversations. They remind me of my grandpa. Haha. What trip!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I have so many conversations and quotes in my head from listening to the banter between Cindy and her Dad, it is mostly always hilarious, I bet your Grandpa was a pleasure to sit and listen to.

      Delete
  11. Glad it worked out in the end and was found on Tim rather than have to report it missing/stolen, whatever. Over the years we've had issues with son and his cell phone gone a missing. Let's just say having insurance on his phones is a necessity.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty I agree with you on the insurance, we had to use it several times when the kids were living at home, mostly with the daughter though. :)

      Delete
  12. I've new to the smart phone ownership thing and haven't misplaced mine yet. On the other hand I dropped my wallet a couple of weeks ago and didn't know that I had until a coworker found it in the restroom. Seeing someone hand me my wallet was bad enough, I can't imagine how I would feel if it was my smartphone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that was a weird feeling when your co worker handed you your wallet, and you hadn't missed it yet. I'm glad an honest person is the one who found it.

      Congrats on the newly acquired smartphone, my wife has one but I haven't found the need for a phone for myself as of yet, but you never know I may have to join you as a smartphone owner one day.

      Delete
  13. Glad Tim found his phone...but at least nobody forgot the PIZZA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Val, that just goes to show that Pizza is more important than a cell phone.

      Delete
  14. Those things aren't exactly tiny, I'm surprised Tim didn't feel it in his back pocket as he sat down. At least it wasn't in the to-go box with the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that surprises me too, I couldn't believe that it was in his back pocket, and he didn't feel it. That would have been funny if it were in the to-go box ha ha.

      Delete
  15. what a fun post Jimmy!

    i am sure Elisa took quite a good class of Tim later lol
    i can relate to situation so well as my eldest son from his college to till his university lost 5 cell phones and i used to defend him front of his father by saying: all genius people are forgetful :)" which is not digestible for his father though
    Glad he found Tim found his phone soon in his own pocket how funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baili, I am sure Elisa had a word with him a little later on also lol.

      With your son losing 5 cell phones he must really be a smart guy since you say all genius people are forgetful, I imagine your husband saw right through that story ha ha

      I can't believe that my son is so smart that he didn't know that his phone was in his pocket lol.

      Delete
  16. Oh I loved this, Jimmy. It made me feel better about losing my phone. Usually it happens inside the house!!!!! However, I have learned to ring my cell on the land-line because then I will be able to trace it. I swear I will buy some glue and glue the damn thing to my body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Valerie, isn't that the hardest place to locate your phone, I know that we also have to call Cindy's phone on the landline to locate it in the house, usually when we are on the way out the door ha ha.

      Gluing it to your body would definitely make it easier to find ;)

      Delete
  17. I know the feeling...I've looked all over the house for my glasses which I was wearing and I've gotten out of the car and then panicked because I couldn't find my keys to lock it with (they were in the ignition)...yiles...
    I've been putting it down to old age.....what's Tims excuse?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delores, It is beginning to look like we are all in the same boat here, I have also looked all over the place for my glasses while wearing them, old age is a good enough excuse as I have used it myself, but like you said Tim can't use that one.

      Delete
  18. It's such a relief to find a "missing" phone, but I bet Tim's relief was balanced with fear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby, you should have seen the look on his face when he found it, definitely a bit of fear showing as he bailed out of the car and went after his wife, ha ha.

      Delete
  19. Oops. Glad it was a false alarm for Tim. I don't have a phone to lose but a while back while at a tourist venue, I found two of them. I located the frantic owner of one of them (they are easy to spot) and the other I turned in at the desk. They do seem to get away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I think those phones have a built in app where they sneak away from you at times.

      Yes I can just see the person frantically looking for their cell phone, I am surprised that you found two lost phones but not surprised that one owner turned up so fast.

      Delete
  20. I have a BUNCH of gift cards that we cannot find. I've basically torn the house apart, three times, to find them. Still nada. No one else has been in the house since i last saw them. :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willow, they will most likely show up one day when you have forgotten all about them and are in the middle of doing something completely opposite of searching for anything.

      Delete
  21. An old joke:
    A priest & a rabbi are driving along in the car & a deer jumps out in front of the car. The driver swerves to miss the deer, but they end up crashing the car.

    The priest gets up, unscathed, brushes himself off, & then looks for the rabbi to give him help. The rabbi is unharmed as well, & the priest sees him touch his forehead, his low stomach, and either breast. The priest is elated.

    "You have finally seen the light! It took this horrible happening, but you've finally come around to the true belief!"

    The rabbi looks at him, puzzled, & asks him what he's talking about.

    "You got up & made the sign of the cross... surely this ordeal has converted you."

    The rabbi shook his head. "I was just making sure everything was there. Spectacles, testicles, wallet & watch."

    Now you'd have to add cell phone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Fran, that is hilarious, I guess the rabbi's sign of the cross in the future with a cell phone added will end with him reaching around to pat his back pocket.

      Delete
  22. After reading fishdycky's comment above, I have nothing to add!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Laughing and laughing . . . your account is hilarious, and fishducky's comment is too! I don't have a smartphone, just a dumb one, but it's never gotten lost :) Now, my wallet, on the other hand . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny I don't even have a dumb phone so my record for not losing one is still good, I have been on numerous searches when Cindy's phone vanishes :)

      I thought Frans comment was hilarious also.

      Delete
  24. I lost my cell phone. I searched and searched and back tracked, etc. Finally it started ringing and was very close. I dumped my purse on the floor. It was not inside my purse. Then I realized it was tucked inside my bra. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Annie, no wonder you couldn't find it. lol

      Delete
  25. OMG this is so funny, and reminds me of several friends who are literally glued to their phones! A great way to start my Tuesday, Jimmy! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to have you laugh this morning RO, glad to have helped start your day with a smile.

      Delete
  26. Red faced!!! I am always getting into trouble with Husband because I don't know where my phone is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Liz, I wonder how many times we actually call our own cell phones because they are "misplaced?" ha ha

      Delete
  27. Haha, as someone who doesn't have a phone I can't relate, but I constantly leave things in the restaurant and have to go back and get them. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The to-go box or doggie bag is one that usually gets left behind for us.

      Delete
  28. I can understand how nerve wracking it is to think you've lost your cellphone! I'm still laughing at fishducky's joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran always comes up with the good ones ha ha

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.