Friday, December 22, 2017

Checking it twice

Decorations and ornaments are a big part of the holiday season for a lot of us, I added a few new items to our stack of stuff to store until next year this year, and wanted to share a couple with you.

Two reindeer Christmas decorations standing in front of a tree decorated with ornaments, lights, and bells
Our Reindeer and Dollar Store ornaments
Well more than a couple I suppose, we now have semi mechanical reindeer that move their heads while they are shining brightly in the night. I know you remember when we went to the Dollar Store for ornaments at least twice and walked away with no ornaments for my tree outside, once we went inside and I completely forgot them, and another I never made it inside because of the crushing cars situation out in the parking lot.

The third time was a charm, Cindy actually went without me and came home with a bag of ornaments that were exactly what I was looking for. I guess the key was to leave me at home.

Dachshund Christmas decoration and Candy cane with reindeer an other lawn decorations in background.
Dixie's Doxie and Candy cane
The candy cane and the Dachshund are new this year, they came in a box with "Some Assembly Required", Yes folks that means you have to put them together, the candy cane was easy, just three parts, front, back, and base, run a cord and plug em in...

There was a little more to the Doxie though, there was a bag of ears and a tail, a bag of legs, a body, a head the hat and collar, and of course a bag of zip ties and anchors to hold him down.

Our little Dachshund Dixie watched patiently while I assembled the Doxie, I got everything in place after a couple of trial runs, zip tied them all together, hung the tail on the correct end, and stood him in the yard next to the candy cane.

Then came the running of the power cord and "plugging em in." After making sure everything was in place and checked twice I had to hide the cords. With no grass in the yard it was a really easy cover up. I'll spare you all the details, Cindy says that I am anal about things like this, I just like everything to look good. And speaking of anal...

Our Dachshund Dixie sniffing the butt end of a Dachshund decoration.
Dixie checking him twice
After everything was done and the Doxie was in one piece, Dixie walked over and strutted around the Doxie, stood back and wagged her tail, then walked around and sniffed it's butt (that's the same as shaking hands in a dog's world).

Our Dachshund Dixie standing with lit up dachshund Christmas decoration.
Dixie posing with her Doxie
She said that it wasn't like she thought it was a real doxie...but she did check him twice.

34 comments:

  1. Love all the decorations and Dixie is adorable.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandee, And a great day to you too.

      Delete
  2. It's funny when animals think fake ones are real...or maybe real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, Animals can sure be entertaining when they are trying to figure something like this out.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure she knew it was fake, but might as well check just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Joe, there is no sense in taking any chances.

      Delete
  4. When you wrote about putting Doxie together I was thinking it's a good thing you probably had a Mr. Potato Head when you were a kid. Dixie's reaction to Doxie was Classic Dog. Love how they all do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean that is a good description comparing putting the doxie together to Mr. Potato Head, classic dog move yes, I imagine most would do the same thing.

      Delete
  5. Both of your dachshunds are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran, we are pretty proud of them both.

      Delete
  6. Of course she checked. Twice. Your safety was on the line.
    Fun decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, I love it! I am a lover of all things daschund, so enjoyed this tremendously. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux those Dachshunds are really easy to love aren't they. Merry Christmas to you.

      Delete
  8. Its funny how she realized it was a dog though. I wonder what was going through her mind while you were putting it together. Haha.
    Im the same way about hiding my cords when Im at the camp ground. I dont want everyone seeing my drop cords to my party lights. Everything has to be neet and tidy besides, you dont want people tripping over them. Your yard looks great!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder what she is thinking, she is usually right there with me when I work on different things, after putting that doxie together it was like she was welcoming a new dog lol

      Delete
  9. You had me at "a bag of ears and a tail!" Well done on the Doxie construction. I also like your tree ornaments, as well as the glimpse of precious Dixie, the double butt-checker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of wondered when I opened that box and had those bags of doggie parts, I'm glad Dixie was there to do the double check.

      Delete
  10. Everybody needs a "bright" friend. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both pups! Good thing Dixie was there so you'd have a model to work from :)

    I like the reindeer and the ornaments on the outside tree. I'm trying to figure out how to throw a few lights around outside without buying anything new. We used to wrap garland and lights along the front porch rail but now the bushes hide half the rail and make it impossible to decorate there anyway. In the meantime I bought two wooden deer but when I got them home I realized how small they are compared to the porch. Decorating is not my forte! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixie made a great model Jenny :)

      Maybe you can string your lights through the bushes instead of the railing, if you do decide to get something new they do make a net of lights that works really good on the bushes.

      Delete
  12. I hadn't seen a dachshund like that as a decoration! Too cute! Of course Dixie had to give her "seal of approval" before welcoming another "pup" into her house. Great looking decorations!

    Merry Christmas!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty, that dachshund was the last one in stock when we got it, I am sure there are more to be found though. Dixie's "seal of approval" was very important so now the doxie gets to stay.

      Merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  13. The over-sized ornaments are great, easy to see from the road. I really like the spiral Christmas trees. Not sure about dogs that light up though (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those larger ornaments are exactly what I was looking for, we got those spiral trees last year and I am really pleased with them also. The doxie looks better during the day than at night.

      Delete
  14. Looks like you've been very busy too. Have a great Christmas Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joey both you and I have been busy so far, I am really impressed with your wrapping skills, you put a lot of work into making your packages perfect. A Merry Christmas to you too my friend.

      Delete
  15. You reminded of my last dog when faced with a HUGE teddy bear (won in a raffle). Cocking a leg became a habit .... lolol. Merry Christmas, Jimmy, to you and your dear wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are so funny with stuffed and fake animals, it looks as if your dog showed that teddy who was boss lol.

      Merry Christmas my dear friend.

      Delete
  16. That is just too cute with the butt sniffing. Merry Christmas Jimmy and family--that includes you too Dixie, you are family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti, yes Dixie is definitely family too, and a Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family.

      Delete
  17. I am happy for dixie to find company like doxie ,look at her she looks CURIOUS lol

    i loved your tree and i smiled over your chuckle that leaving you home and finding right items for decorations was key to success for Cindy ,i guess Cindy won't agree

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all your decorations! Glad Dixie and Doxie are getting along.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.