Thursday, December 7, 2017

I need a bigger box

Sending goodies to the grandson always turns into quite a project. At Christmas Cindy always sends a big box with gifts for the whole family. This year the box for Tim, Elisa, and Benjamin was packed and mailed off with a postage amount high enough to leave me wondering just what in the heck did we have in that box, the lady at the post office gave me the postage amount for that box and I think I literally grabbed my chest.

Then for Benjamin Cindy sends a separate box, with random things she has bought for him, small toys, candies and such. She actually does this for every holiday. There have been holidays I have never heard of where she sends off a box to Benjamin. I can understand his birthday, Christmas and even Easter, but what about Halloween, Thanksgiving, Veterans Day, National Grandparents Day, National Hotdog Day, and Justcuz Iwanna Day...I'm not so sure about that last one but still Benjamin gets a box.

And when his box arrives he gets to open it immediately, and he is always so excited that he calls Mimi (Cindy) on the phone and talks to her as he opens the box. He oooh's and aahh's  and is always so excited at his newly acquired box of goodies.

Benjamin had been wanting a wristwatch, a digital wristwatch he said, so he asked Cindy if she would buy him one, and she promised him that he would have a new wristwatch in his Christmas box.
Blue and black colored digital watch showing numbers 20:59
We ordered a digital watch that is also a stopwatch and some other things that I would never use much less remember, this is a nice looking watch just his size but not a kid's looking watch. I know that he will be pleased when he finds this watch in his box.

I love getting things for our grandson, but I am the one following Cindy around telling her "If you buy anything else you are going to need a bigger box", we try to limit the size to the large flat rate box that the post office provides, and I thought that her sack of goodies was going to fit until she dumped them into the box, I didn't know that you could get that much stuff into one little bag.

Now it was up to me to "make it fit", "come on Jimmy I know you can do it!" She tells me.

Now picture this I have the large flat rate box on one side, and a random pile of toys, candy, crackers, flash lights, and I don't know what else on the other. It was like a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle, I stacked and twisted, filling in the empty spaces, then added another layer, layer after layer and low and behold I ran out of stuff just in time to close and tape the box shut. I only had to leave out one thing, a box of whoppers in the little milk carton shaped container, they just wouldn't fit and I figured rather than getting a bigger box for one little carton of whoppers, that I would tape this box shut and eat the whoppers myself.

I made out the address label and deemed Benjamin's Box ready for the post office. That is until Cindy came out of our bedroom with a bag. "Jimmy can you fit this stuff into the box for Benjamin?", I told her that nothing else would fit.

"Come on Jimmy I know you can do it." She said, I told her "Cindy, you are just going to have to save that stuff for the next box.", "I can't save it for the next box!", "Yes you can, you can put it in the New Years box", "But this is Christmas stuff, it won't work in the New Year's box, it has to go in this one!!"

A cardboard box sitting at an angle with top lids standing open.

I said the only thing that made sense to my health and well being, "I need a bigger box."

I got a bigger box, yes it's bigger than the flat rate box so I have a feeling that the flat rate no longer applies. I packed my new three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle with the layers from the flat rate box, plus the Christmas stuff from the bag that magically appeared, and even added the box of whoppers that Cindy found on my desk, "Hey Jimmy, what are these whoppers doing over here?, I bought these for Benjamin."

Perfect fit, I held the box shut, taped it solidly, added the new address label and again deemed Benjamin's box ready for the post office. And just about the time I was going to carry the box to the car, Cindy found a small box and asked "What's this", I about died when I saw her holding the box that contained Benjamin's new wristwatch...

46 comments:

  1. Ha, it must have been nerve wrecking but all's well that ends well. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir all's well so far even though the box had to be repacked yet again.

      Delete
  2. The joys of long distance grand-parenthood. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jean, long distance grand-parenthood sure takes a lot of postage lol.

      Delete
  3. I've never been a fan of watches, I had a few break on me. I just look at phone now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have had my share of broken watches, might as well get the grandson started now.

      Delete
  4. You forgot the watch? Shame.

    I've shipped stuff across the country and out of the country. It usually costs more than what you're shipping to sent it to wherever it needs to go.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandee after repacking that box one more time and dashing to the post office, the watch is actually on its way to Benjamin.

      Delete
  5. This is why Christmas is much more fun kids!

    He's gonna like the watch though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe I agree he is going to love that watch.

      Delete
  6. Third time's a charm?

    I know all about fitting things into those flat rate boxes! That's how I send The Pony's college care packages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val I think those boxes are perfectly sized to where whatever you want to ship will not fit into the box you think it will, thus leading to use the bigger box. They are a great way to ship stuff quickly though.

      Delete
  7. You're a good and patient husband, Jimmy :)

    Say, how's your blood pressure these days? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blood pressure is good today Jenny, the boxes have been shipped. :-)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations.
    I wrestle with those boxes myself. You are streets ahead of me this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EC I believe that all of my stuff is done for this year.

      Delete
  9. What a treat it must be to receive your goody box! Isn't the postage outrageous? I made my son cookies to send to him in college a few times and the cost of mailing was about 3x the price of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux the price of shipping packages has really soared the last few years, a lot of times the postage is indeed more than the cost of what you are sending, but with the cookies for your son I'd say the cargo was priceless.

      Delete
  10. It's going to be the bigger box from now on. You've set a precedent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad he's getting the watch (& that you can stop repacking (for now, anyway)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the repacking is over for now, but I guess it never will be...

      Delete
  12. Wait....Theres a “justcuz I wanna” day? Let me go mark my calander.
    Postage is outrageous. You guys are the coolest.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa Justcuz Iwanna Day is one of those floating holidays, it comes at any time and several times a year too.

      Delete
  13. I think it would be wonderful buying Christmas presents for a grandchild. Our 37 year old son just got married so maybe a grandchild is in our future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen having a grandchild is a real blessing, you will make a great granddad when the time comes.

      Delete
  14. That is so funny! Especially the ending...
    I'm happy to say that this is one thing I've never experienced. Not only do all the grandkids live close to us, we decided a long time ago to but Savings Bonds for them instead of regular gifts. One for Christmas, and one for birthdays. Actually, they only really get the receipt. We keep the actual bonds in a safety deposit box. They get plenty of "stuff" from everybody else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The savings bonds are a great idea Pat, your grandkids will really appreciate them one day.

      Delete
  15. Oh no! I suppose you had to reopen the box and put the wrist watch in it :) Its nice that Cindy does that connection with Benjamin of sending him a box for every holiday :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Betty that box definitely got reopened and had the watch added, then immediately taken to the post office.

      Delete
  16. Is Benjamin the only grandchild so far? I'm thinking if you continue this box-for-every-occasion habit for future grandchildren, you're going to have to re-mortgage the house to pay for it. That's a lot of stuff per year. Benjamin is very much loved, I can see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes River, Benjamin is our first, I told Cindy what you said, she laughed and said to tell you it was looking like that was the direction we are going, I suggested going down to the small flat rate boxes but she just smiled. Benjamin is very much loved and any others who come along will be as well.

      Delete
  17. I take it you got the watch packed... hope I'm right. I mean, what's Christmas without a new watch...lol. You did good, Jimmy, and I have to say that you have the patience of Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mam Valerie, I did once again repack the box and add Benjamin's watch into the midst of the goodies, I then made a rush to the Post Office and got the box on it's way.

      Thank you my friend I do appreciate you.

      Delete
  18. LOL! I can totally relate which is why in November I start searching for boxes from places like Dollar General and other supermarkets because the box has to be sturdy and 'big enough'. I have to fit items for 3 people in that one box, and it's always quite an adventure. The good thing this year is that I have an extra week to get it there because they'll actually be traveling to see long overdue relatives until the first week in January. I saw them all for Thanksgiving. Glad you got it all in your box and had fun doing it. Hugs...and happy Friday! RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RO, It's always good to have a little extra time to get your box shipped, the bad thing about it is you also have more time to add stuff ha ha.

      Picking up boxes at places like Dollar General is a great way to find some really good shipping boxes,, good luck getting yours packed up and shipped off.

      Delete
  19. You and Cindy must be the greatest Grandparents EVER. The kids must be beyond excited to get and open those boxes. Well done packing Jimmy. Of course, you know they will be expecting the bigger box each time now:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only drawback Patti, with every box you pack makes the next box you pack expected to be bigger and better, you know we will do the best we can even if I have to find a bigger box. ;-)

      Delete
  20. Wow! That would be a great present to receive. A box of cool things from grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually received the box yesterday and called us while he opened it, his excited voice is about the best gift for me that I can think of.

      Delete
  21. Haha, well as you probably remember from my blog I pack boxes to go out every day of my life, and I too have occasionally taped it all up, put a label on it and put it by the back door ready to go in the car, only to realise I haven't put the item I'm posting in the box! Just as well that my brain is inside my skull or I'd leave that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joey, I do recall that you pack a lot of boxes to send out everyday, remembering the main item after the package is already taped up sounds like something we have in common. Have you ever mailed a package off before you realized that you had left an important piece out of the box?

      Delete
  22. hahaa what fun story Jim!

    i am becoming fan of Cindy ,she is so generous and loving and i think her family is lucky to have her ,i am sure that she packs these boxes with the little amount of that huge love she has for her grandchildern .
    thank you for figuring out finally that you need a bigger box and doing it for you adorable lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baili, you are so right we are lucky to have her, she will be honored to hear that she has you as a fan. A lot of love goes into each box that she packs and I have a feeling that bigger boxes will always be needed.

      Delete
  23. The thing is, if you ship enough it'll eventually be cheaper to take the trip and hand-deliver the presents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, with the price of postage a good road trip would definitely be more cost effective.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.