Monday, December 3, 2018

Parking in a real driveway

Some people love apartments and city living with all of the hustle and bustle and noise, and others love a nice house with a real driveway, mailbox on the curb, and the peace and quiet of a rural area. I am one of the latter. And against everything that we raised our kids around, my daughter loves living in the city with parking on the street or in a parking garage. I didn’t raise her this way, just saying.

I like stepping out my front door and seeing my truck right there in the driveway, or at worse having to open a garage door and back the car out. At my daughter’s apartment I open her front door and see miles and miles of duplicate doors down a long hallway with elevators somewhere down the line, I can’t ever remember which way they are located, yeah I know, the old country boy coming to the city situation…

Every time she has moved from one location to another I have strongly suggested that she find a place with a real driveway, I hate parking garages! I don’t like forgetting where I left my car, it’s not like I actually forgot where I left my car it’s just that all those cars stuck inside a parking structure kind of blend together.

inside view of an enclosed parking structure.
This is why I can't find my car...
Then when you have two structures side by side with several levels serving the same place, man I get lost just thinking about it! Now throw in "Resident Parking" behind a gate that opens with a sensor, separating the cars that belong from the ones belonging to visitors of the residents, or shoppers for the surrounding businesses, yes these cars are caged in where they can't escape. I've only been inside that cage once…without my car!

My daughter lives in a very secure building, she has a sensor to open the gate to park her car, and one that opens the gate to gain entry into the building, and it also signals the elevator buttons to work, without that sensor you can push those buttons from now until doomsday and that elevator will not work.

I once followed a man through the gate and strolled over to that elevator thinking that we could surprise the daughter by showing up at her door, only to find myself essentially trapped on the first floor because without a sensor I was stuck, I couldn’t even take the stairs because guess what? Yep those doors were for residents only too. Our daughter just smiled when the elevator doors opened when she finally showed up downstairs to save us.

Her building to me looks like miles of concrete hallways where everything is the same; I can't get my bearings when nothing appears different. Upon leaving from a visit once, Cindy and I went down to the parking garage without supervision from our daughter, she did open the elevator door for us to get on, now she told us that all we had to do was push a button for the parking garage and step out and walk to our car, easy enough…Right?

We did just that and stepped out of the elevator and began the search for our car, when we finally found it the only problem was it was on the other side of a chain link fence that went from floor to ceiling. We were trapped inside the residents parking area with no sensor to open the elevators, doors, gates or anything, I laughed and asked Cindy to call our daughter to come down and save us for the second time that day, but on this level of the parking garage we found that there was no cell service. Cindy and I were seriously trapped, we had accidentally pushed the wrong button in the elevator, we later found out there is one for the parking garage and one for residents parking.

It took about forty five minutes of walking, checking doors, and pushing buttons before we found a gate that was unlocked, (where is a security  officer when you need them?) this unlocked gate took us to the other side, where we began a long walk back in the direction we just came from in search of our car.

Recently our daughter got a job offer in another town a couple hours away from where she now lives, this is a good thing in my opinion with what she has just been through, this will give her a fresh start I'm  hoping. As soon as she finds a place to live, the company that hired her is going to move her stuff up there and we will be able to take the grand dogs home to her, yes we are babysitting until she gets a place…

The other day she sent Cindy pictures of a place she had applied to rent, “it's really nice” Cindy was telling me, and they are charging a reasonable deposit for the pets too. After Cindy got finished oohing and ahhing over the pictures she passed her phone over for me to take a look, a tear rolled down my cheek when I saw that our daughter is going to rent a small house with a real driveway and everything.

A white mailbox on a red wooden post next to a sidewalk and driveway.
A real mailbox next to a real driveway!
I think when we go to visit I'm going to just sit on her front porch and admire that piece of concrete that most of us call a driveway, because after all this is her first real driveway with a mailbox and everything!

Have you ever been lost in a parking structure? What type of place do you call home?

36 comments:

  1. I don't like living in the big cities. I'll take the house in the track with the garage and driveway. I'm with you.

    Have a fabulous day and week. 🎄🎄🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'll take the house in the track with the garage and driveway." Yes, I could do this anytime, I lived in an apartment one time and couldn't wait for the lease to end.

      Delete
  2. I would have been freaking out if it was me stuck in that parking area, or even on the first floor because of the elevator! I didn't realize there's such tight security in some places.

    I have a terrible sense of direction and therefore am equally able to get lost in a city, in a town, or in the country. All the cars look alike and all the trees do too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, this is the first place that I have seen with that level of security, being stuck in the parking garage was indeed unnerving for us and I was really surprised with their level of security that we wern't discovered by a security guard, we definitely couldn't run...

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you accidentally landed in your daughter's version of the Twilight Zone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, the Twilight Zone is a perfect way to describe that incident!

      Delete
  4. I get lost in buildings and parking lots like that in my dreams all the time and I wake up with a start and can't go back to sleep. I'm like you, I'd hate living in a place like that.

    I'm happy for your daughter. I think you are right that it's exactly what she needs to have a new start. The past will never be completely behind her but not having the constant memory triggers around her will her move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words Jean, "The past will never be completely behind her but not having the constant memory triggers around her will move her forward." Thank you so much my friend.

      Delete
  5. I loathe and detest those parking areas. They freak me out. Driveways every time for me.
    But apartment living would do my head in even without the parking issues.
    I am so glad that your daughter is getting a fresh start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in an apartment once and never was comfortable there, and as for a parking structure like you said I also really detest even using one, they are definitely not for me either.

      Delete
  6. I HATE HATE HATE big city driving and despise big city parking. If I'm in a big city, I'm Ubering. Parking garages piss me off. The only I can tolerate is the a seldom used one that's free on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam I have never used an Uber myself, but I would be willing to try one as opposed to fighting big city traffic and parking garages...

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your daughter's driveway! I would have freaked out at being trapped in the parking garage! I might still be living in it! I have a terrible sense of direction, and get all turned around in places like that, when every floor looks the same.

    Genius is living in Kansas City, renting an apartment. He's a city kind of guy, but even he is saving for a house in the suburbs, which I'm sure will have a driveway. At least he doesn't have a parking garage now. Just a designated slot in a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val I can respect a designated slot in a lot a whole lot more than being trapped inside the residents parking area of a garage again, that was indeed a bad experience, could have been better if we had at least found a lucky penny...

      Delete
  8. I have never been lost in a parking structure, but many years ago my stepfather searched all floors in one looking for his car and finally realised he was in the wrong one.
    I think the parking garages for apartments are a great idea. Out here, far too many apartment buildings are constructed with little or no thought as to where residents might put their vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River this is basically the same situation where my daughter is living right now, there is simply not enough space to park the vehicles for the number of people living there without using parking structures, I guess they are OK if you are accustomed to them but as for me I am lost every time I end up in one ha ha.

      Delete
  9. 'Have you ever been lost in a parking structure?'

    Yes, yes, yes. I have spent many half hours wandering round looking for my car. In the end I started to use my phone to record the actual spot I'd left the car. It worked! Daft or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, recording the space where your car is parked on your phone is an excellent idea, I'll have to remember this next time I find myself using a parking garage. Thank you! Daft? Not in my opinion my dear friend.

      Delete
  10. This sounds just like us and our daughter. She chooses to live in an uptown high rise apartment. She wonders why we dont visit. Well, It takes an act of congress to get in the building. We have to let her know when we arrive so she can use her like dongle to open the gate to get us on the parking deck. (Visiter Parking is free but only for 2 hours). Oncce we are parked in the parking deck, every door and every elevator has to be swiped with her card to get us in. We once snuck in behind someone to suprise her and yep, we got stuck too. I know the pain.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa it sure sounds like your daughters apartment is an exact replica of the one our daughter was living in, I forgot to mention the parking charges, I think it is a shame to have to pay to go and visit your own child, it takes me the 2 hour free parking grace period just to get into the building ha ha.

      Delete
  11. I lived in the city for a short time while I was in college.
    Now, I live on a small 12 acre farm with a gravel drive. I wouldn’t want to go back to parking on the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick your place sounds like my kind of living, like you I prefer the more rural areas.

      Delete
  12. I live a rural area now, with one neighbor whose house I cannot see. I don't have a real driveway, just a continuation of the road I and my neighbor share. Do those sensors ever break down? Your situation was bad enough, but what if there was a fire, or something else. I've never heard of this before, so now I am educated on the latest in apartment living. Not for me, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger I am sure like most of the technology today these sensors are only good if the power is on, I feel like getting out of the building is most likely a lot easier than getting in, our problem in the residents parking area was that most of the doors we found were going back inside and we were on the wrong side of the door.

      Delete
  13. Jimmy, found your page through a blog of a blog. :D Thought I’d stop in and say hello! In regards to your parking garage fiasco, I hate those things! I’ve had to use one downtown on numerous occasions and once we couldn’t find our car, either. Now just the term parking garage stresses me out! We live in the outskirts of a small town on 2 acres, and are looking to venture out even further within the next year. We do enjoy our real driveway and mailbox, and even frequent sightings of the wildlife around us. There’s just something so nice about the peace and tranquility of it all. Country is the way to go in our book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, I am honored to have you stop by, finding me through the blog of a blog is really impressive thank you! It sounds like you have some important plans coming up in your near future with moving out a bit further from town, seeing the wildlife and critters from your area is a really big bonus along with the peace and quiet when you find that perfect home.

      Delete
  14. I have moved enough, that I tend to feel at home wherever I am, but I don’t think I would say that at a big condo with everything looking the same.

    thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage, moving is a lot of work and making wherever you live your home is a really important point that you made, you have to be happy wherever you are because in the grand scheme of things you are exactly where you are supposed to be right now...but don't ever give up dreaming. Good to see you my friend.

      Delete
  15. No problems here. I live in the country, park my vehicles in the barn or leave them out on my very long driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Annie, it sounds to me like you have the perfect set up, you can't go wrong with a good barn and a long driveway.

      Delete
  16. Another great post Jimmy! I abhor any type of parking garage because I feel like I'll back into another vehicle, get stuck inside, or have to pay an exorbitant fee because I've lost my ticket in an unruly purse. I live in a simple spot where I park right out in front in a parking lot where recently cameras were installed to capture any bad driving.(lol) Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RO, I have witnessed the disappearance of important items due to an unruly purse before, not mine but my wife's lol. Cameras are becoming a big part of our lives and catching acts of bad driving and even worse events are solved just this way, I am happy you have a safe place to park without the horrors of a parking structure.

      Delete
  17. OMG, your parking garage story sounds like a Seinfeld episode!!! :-)

    I've become smart in my old age and take a cell phone picture of the sign that indicates the level and row where I park my car. No more worries about forgetting.

    My godmother lived in one of those city apartments where the different buildings all looked alike. I visited her one winter, and after playing outside in the snow, I had to pee urgently. Ran into the house, up to the first floor where she lived, rang the doorbell and into the apartment after the door opened. I was about six feet into the apartment before I realized that it wasn't hers... Pretty sure the people who lived there were equally surprised about a little girl just dashing in. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that episode now that you mentioned it ha ha...

      I can just picture you rushing inside the opening door only to find that you were in the wrong apartment, the looks on both their faces and yours also had to be priceless, I bet the story of the unknown little girl who came calling is still told in that family today Ha Ha!

      Delete
  18. Oh how nice...a driveway and a mailbox.....our days for that are over andd we are now in a condo with a (gasp) parking garage and (horrors) secure entrances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that living in a condo with a secure entrance and a parking garage is great once you get accustomed to it, just plan on me having a hard time getting in if I ever come for a visit Ha Ha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.