Monday, November 12, 2018

Things that dogs do

Mmmmm that sure smells good she said as she walked up to the smorgasbord of goodies they found laid out in front of them, he agreed with her but before he could say anything he found himself diving in for a taste just as she raised her head with a large steaming bite in her mouth.

Our Grand Dog Zyla eating horse poop
Our Granddog Zyla sampling a fresh pile.
My question is, Why do dogs love eating horse poop? I know there are a lot of arguments on the safety of eating horse poop, and of course the smell, and most important is why does your dog run straight to you and give you a kiss right in the face after you call them off of a steaming pile of fresh manure?

You have to admit that horse poop is only as good as the horses diet. With our horse Flash, the dogs are simply eating recycled alfalfa with a little bit of weed thrown in, not the illegal in most states weed, but the grows everywhere you don't want them to grow weeds. Dogs look at it like this, just who can resist a freshly and naturally baked pile of number one alfalfa and weed all squished together in a pile of #2.

Some people say that dogs eat horse poop to cover the human taste in their mouth, if this is true then why do dogs jump into your lap with that old horse manure aroma on their breath and invariably “slip you the tongue“, nothing like a dog tongue sliding into your mouth after they have been munching on road apples!

our daschund Dixie licking my wife Cindy in the face
Dixie giving Cindy a kiss
And speaking of taste I am not sure which is better, eating poop to cover my scent, or slipping me the tongue to rid the taste of horse poop in the dogs mouth?...

A lot of dogs are natural turd hounds anyways, they eat any old turd including their own, but other dogs with more refined taste limit themselves to only indulging in a good pile of horse manure, you know eat a while then roll in it.

And speaking of rolling! What is up with rolling on the most disgusting thing you can find?

To mask their own scent I have been  told. An instinct that comes from way back when dogs were wild and had to sneak up on dinner, you know roll in the antelope poop to mask your scent from the herd before you attack. I don't understand how rolling on a dead bird is going to help a dog sneak up on a bowl of Mighty Dog today, but whatever it takes I suppose. The only thing I have seen gained by rolling on a dead bird is that the dog gains himself a bath! Then after the bath he immediately goes outside and rolls in the dirt, go figure...

A small dog peeing on a tree while a larger black dog watches.
Photo Source
And what about their bladder voiding practices? Just how in the world can a dog pee that much? Take a male dog for a walk and he will hike his leg and pee on everything in his path, and add another dog into the mix and you have Dueling Pee-Pee’s being played out to the tune of Dueling Banjos. One dog pees and the other comes by and takes a squirt right on top of it, then moves on to the next trail of yellow liquid rolling down the back of your favorite garden gnome.

This game of covering one another’s pee continues it seems until everything in the area has been properly marked and marked again, it is then that the dog with the fullest bladder has been declared the leader of the pack.

We once had this little game of Dueling Pee Pee's going on in our yard and the ending spray of pee came when our female poodle walked up to the tree a male dog had just marked, hiked her leg and accurately covered his latest pee marking attempt with one of her own, she was immediately declared the winner.

Has your dog ever farted and then jumped around to bark at the squeak that just came from behind? Our let one slip out and then moved away from you like you did it? And one more question, Just how many times have you falsely blamed one on the dog?

Cindy, Dixie, and Jimmy sitting together
We love our little dog Dixie, yeah I love Cindy too...
You just have to love a good dog though, set aside their farting, peeing, pooping, and culinary habits and what is left is a pretty loveable character. Kind of sounds like someone you know, doesn't it?

What kind of things does your dog do?

38 comments:

  1. My dog loved eating her own, she knew we hated it too. I used to get a shovel and throw it on the side of the yard she couldn't get to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes Adam that's all you can do, dogs are smarter than we give them credit for like you said she knew exactly how you felt about it.

      Delete
  2. I love dogs, but now i have to throw up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now Joe, I don't want you throwing up on my account.

      Delete
  3. Ha Ha, you've just reminded me of all the disgusting reasons I no longer have a dog. Plus the lack of space I now live in, of course.
    We used to have a German Shepherd named Mad Max, he fart quietly, then look at each of us accusingly before slinking outside to get away from the smell. He also go to know when it was dog bone buying day and would wait for us hanging over a five foot tall fence, so we'd hand him half a beef shin bone before we unpacked the rest of the groceries. He also bailed up a burglar in our yard while the neighbour called the police, we were at work at the time and Max thought the police were also burglars and held them up too, so they had to call us out of work to come and calm him down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too funny River, I can just see the police cornered inside your back yard waiting for your help, dogs are territorial and this definitely proves that.

      Delete
  4. Dixie looks like she's enjoying that kiss more than Cindy! Our dogs don't eat horse poop. Maybe I should go ask the neighbors what they're feeding their horses.

    I had college roommates with Cocker Spaniels, and those dogs were forever eating their own poop! Our dogs will eat cat vomit like it's a delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixie is a lover and will sneak a kiss in when you least expect it. It seems like every dog that visits here goes straight for the horse poop, maybe Ole Flash just has a way with his to make it a delicacy like your cat vomit...not that I want you to share though!

      Delete
  5. Got to be careful with giving a dog access to horse poop. If the horse has been medicated for anything---like worming meds, etc.---they can pass through in the poop and kill a dog.

    Every day dogs come by and pee on my mailbox and whenever Levi gets a chance to get down to the mailbox, he pees. I call it his receiving and delivering his pee mail.

    Puppies passing gas can really be funny until they learn what's going on. We used to have a dog who would try to outrun his farts, like someone shot him in the butt. Never got over that habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our dogs are really not out in the pasture with the horse that often, especially when the vet has been out, but when they are allowed it's like a kid in a candy store.

      Cindy got a real kick out of Levi's pee mail ha ha, actually we both did, Thank you that is too good!

      Dogs farting and surprising themselves is funny every time, and some habits dogs get into they never get out of simply because they haven't figured it out yet I suppose.

      Delete
  6. Dogs are part of the family, even with their disgusting actions. Our Golden Retriever brought us a dead rotting squirrel once. He was so proud. We got out of the way; did not want to catch some disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man John, that had to be disgusting and really smelly too, dead and rotting pretty much describes the smell really well, isn't it strange how proud dogs are of finding dead critters like that.

      Delete
  7. Because they can.
    I can remember (only too well) a car trip with our German Shepherd after she had rolled in very dead cow. She was happy. We were not. And we were an hour away from home and a bath for her. And for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow EC! I can just imagine an hour car ride with a dog after rolling in a dead cow like that, I can totally understand you not being happy and also why you wanted a bath too...I bet your German Shepherd was one happy camper until bath time!

      Delete
  8. I'm clueless why dog like poop. But I grew up with horses and our dog would love to eat the hoofs triming, and there breath stunk horrible.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dora, Our dogs love the hoof trimmings too, it is a really big treat for them after the farrier gets through trimming.

      Good to see you my friend.

      Delete
  9. I used to have a dog and could not stand it when she licked her butt or nibbled in her furr.
    But You can always blame a fart on a dog, they never deny it.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Lisa! Not only do they not deny it, sometimes they are actually proud of it.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Even with some of their disgusting habits they do become a big part of the family Joey.

      Delete
  11. Thankfully, in all the years we had dogs I never saw them eating poop. Perhaps we fed them too well. Come to think of it there was a law or something that prohibited dog pooh, if a dog did his business his owner had to bag it and take it away. Thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Valerie, That same law is here too but mainly just in the cities, out in the rural area we live in I don't see anyone picking it up. we do clean it out of our yard though...

      Delete
  12. I'm laughing and gagging and laughing and gagging and . . . :D

    We had a dog when we were growing up but I don't remember ever seeing her eating anything disgusting except that canned food that was probably all the bits of the cow that humans would not eat. She was part beagle, part bluetick hound, the runt of the litter, and her ears were so soft it was incredible. She was known to be a bit cranky, especially as she had been hit by a car one day when she got away from us and had a crushed pelvis that healed but probably bothered her even so. One day she got a piece of pork chop bone stuck in the back of her mouth (this was back in the days when dogs got liberal leftovers and bones along with their canned food) and she let my mother reach in and remove it. My mom still tells that story (or I wouldn't have remembered it!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I bet that bluetick hound/beagle mix was an amazing dog, she had to be really comfortable with your mom to allow her to pull that pork chop bone loose from the back of her mouth, I have seen dogs in that exact same situation but the removal process was not near as easy as your mom did it, I'd retell that story over and over too if it were me!

      Delete
  13. Love that picture of Cindy's kiss!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked that picture Fran, I actually added it last minute when I remembered it and thought it would be perfect here.

      Delete
  14. It's been awhile since I had a dog, but my goodness, this post had me laughing out louds and reminiscing from back in the day! Hugs and Happy Wednesday! RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RO, I am so happy to hear that you were able to bring out some good memories from reading my post, and even happier that you had a few laughs to boot. Happy Wednesday my friend.

      Delete
  15. I love dogs, but there's a few habits I'd like to break them of and wallowing around in dead and rotting animals and smelling poop is high on my priority list!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Sage, if we could keep them from rolling on dead animals and poop at least they would smell better.

      Delete
  16. I've never had a dog - I'm more of a cat person - but this made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lady, I am so happy that you good a good laugh out of this, see even a cat person can enjoy a few dog tales...

      Delete
  17. I'm just peeping in to get another laugh from this post, and to wish you and the family a Happy Thanksgiving! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both of my dogs eat the guinea fowl poop but they don't just dive in. They have to browse through the different piles and find what they consider a gourmet treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I can see that, I suppose if you are going to eat it you may as well choose the "good stuff"

      Delete
  19. I don't have a dog though but used to see from so closer when i was young(teens) and every evening i went to grab milk from my aunt's house who owned buffaloes and cows they had she dog which was quite old but had small body she knew me enough to not bark me but don't know why one day when i was existing from house she quite came after me and poked her teeth smoothly in my heel ,it was not bite yet it was scary enough to not go there for few days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange why a dog will suddenly become protective like this and bite at someone they know, I have seen this exact thing happen in the past and can understand why you would not want to go back for a few days...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.