Thursday, January 25, 2018

A No Golfing Cart Ride

Even though my golf playing ability is A Golfers Nightmare, there is one thing from the golfing world that I agree is worthwhile, the Golf Cart or as I refer to the one that I own, The No Golfing Cart.
Green and white golf cart sitting in the driveway.
My No Golfing Cart front view
The No Golfing Cart is a very useful tool, we first bought this one a couple of years ago when Cindy's Dad first began to struggle walking, he suggested getting an electric scooter with big tires and a basket so he could get out into the yard and look around, go out into the pasture and see Flash (his horse), and use the basket to carry stuff that he may need.

To make a long story short I decided on a golf cart instead, first off the seat would be more comfortable, and the golf cart would be less likely to get stuck in a gopher hole.

Green golf cart with a black pickup truck style bed on the back.
Rear view of the No Golfing Cart.
I had the back seats removed and a pickup truck style bed added, I also added a cane holder and a couple of horns just for fun, one bicycle/clown horn, and an electric horn that screams Ah-Ooo-Gaa when the button is pushed, you know actual necessities for a no golfing cart.

When I first got the No Golfing Cart, Ray and I were talking in the driveway, he was sitting behind the wheel of the No Golfing Cart when Dixie (our dachshund) walked up and asked to be lifted up onto the seat with Ray. Dixie does like to ride and the next thing I knew Ray, Dixie, and the No Golfing Cart were flying down the driveway, Ray made a left hand turn and continued up the road at top No Golfing Cart speed and vanished.

Nearly half an hour later just about the time we were going to gather up a search party I heard the clown horn "Squeak-Ah-Squeak-Ah-Squeak" coming from the opposite direction from which Ray and Dixie had disappeared, and then I saw them coming down the hill.

Not a little hill either folks, a hill that cars have a hard time slowing down on, one that I have seen people standing up on their bicycles in first gear pumping as hard as they can to climb this hill, only to give up and end up pushing their bike. In other words "This is a steep hill"

At the bottom of the hill Ray hardly slowed down at all as he turned left back onto our street, I swear I thought that Cart was going to roll over, it looked like two wheels were off the ground. With both Ray and Dixie grinning from ear to ear he slid to a stop in front of our house.

"Man that was fun!" he said, "there was only one problem, I passed a guy on a bicycle and Dixie tried to jump off the seat to chase him"

my father in law Ray driving a green golf cart wearing a straw cowboy hat and holding onto Dixie our dacshund.
Ray and Dixie coming back home a couple years ago.
Then they turned into the driveway and parked the No Golfing Cart for the day, but needless to say this was just the first in a long string of rides for Ray and Dixie. But only after another accessory was added to the No Golfing Cart.

A dog leash attached to the metal frame behind a golf carts seat with a pink harness on the other end.
Dixie's No Golfing Cart Seatbelt/Harness
This little incident lead to the invention of the "No Golfing Cart Seatbelt for Dixie."

Our dacshund Dixie wearing a harness and seatbelt sitting between Cindy and I for a Golf cart ride
Dixie wearing her No Golfing Cart Seatbelt and Harness
It is now a requirement for Dixie to wear the No Golfing Cart Seatbelt and Harness device, because she does love to chase bicycles as much as she loves to ride, and she will wear it if this is what it takes for her to go for a ride.

The No Golfing cart has been used for many things, like hauling hay and feed, I just recently hauled a load of aloe vera plants that I had thinned out and given to the neighbors, and it works really well to carry the weed sprayer when I have to spray the fence line to make mowing easier

Looking through the windshield of a golf cart driving down the road.
A nice No Golfing Cart ride following the mailman
But the best thing the No Golfing Cart does is take us for a ride, sometimes we go just to get out for a minute, on this day Cindy was trying to catch the mailman before he got to our house, and yes she caught him just in the nick of time.

The back of our dog Dixie's head as she is looking through the windshield of the golf cart during a ride with my wife Cindy.
Dixie and Cindy cruising down the road.
Dixie goes for a ride with whoever is going at the time, Cindy takes her along when she goes around the block to pick up vegetables from a lady who sells fresh veggies out of her garden, some of the best fried green tomatoes that Cindy has made came from a No Golfing Cart ride with Dixie.

Jimmy and Cindy smiling as they ride on the golf cart.
Man this is fun!
And in the end The No Golfing Cart is worth every penny that we have invested, it may not carry golf clubs and players, and it may not be the prettiest No Golfing Cart around, but it is ours and after a quick run around the block the best thing I can say is "Man that was fun!"

41 comments:

  1. That does look like fun! I've heard of folks living in senior communities in Florida that have them, but I didn't know other people used them like you do. Good idea on the Dixie seatbelt. She's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found out really quickly that we had to buckle her in, I made it long enough for her to move around but short enough to keep her on the seat.

      Delete
  2. Golf carts have so many uses. The staff at our marina use golf carts to get around the property. Some folks that have boats bring their golf carts so they can go to dinner at nearby restaurants.

    Got to strap your babies in though because they will take off in a heartbeat.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has worked out really well for me around here, simply hauling stuff around the property is so much easier. Yes I agree it's a must to buckle the babies in.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you are talking about. I own a no-golfing cart and right not it is out of commission. I am trying to find new batteries and it's not as easy as one might think. I hope yours is gas powered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have priced batteries for ours for future reference and believe it or not Amazon had the most affordable prices at the time, I'm not saying they are giving them away but the prices were more reasonable than other places.

      Delete
  4. I would love to have one- seems safer than a scooter. Many ranches around here use them for simple hauling and such - heck just give me one to go to the grocery store and I'd be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby they are really great for simple hauling jobs, especially with the bed that we have on ours, it works really well and I bet it would be perfect to haul groceries.

      Delete
  5. Way better than one of those scooter things. I hate golf carts when golfing. they throw your rhythm off (as if I have any) and you always pair with someone who hits the ball left when you go right. I prefer a pull cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe those scooters look like an accident waiting to happen running around off of the concrete, a golf cart is much safer, as for a game of golf I would think that they would be more in the way than anything else, like you said a pull cart makes more sense.

      Delete
  6. Man, now I wish I had one! Looks like a lot of fun but I would had a couple of hot pink flags on the back to match Divie's harness so everyone would know exactly who "owns" those wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean a couple of hot pink flags on the back would surely single us out from everyone else, Dixie would really like it then.

      Delete
  7. that does look like fun! And glad you have a harness to keep Dixie from jumping out; I know from personal experience how dangerous that is for doxies with their weak long backs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have to keep an eye on her, too many years and pounds for her to do much jumping now, but it doesn't stop her from trying when you least expect it lol.

      Delete
  8. I've never drove one, my brother took me golfing and would always hog the drivers wheel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you go you will have to beat him back to the golf cart.

      Delete
  9. The little truck bed on the back is a great idea! I wonder if I could get away with using one of those to get around town here, instead of always waiting for the bus. I could scoot along the footpaths, but I bet a copper would stop me and ask for my licence, which I don't have one of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know in town here they have to be licensed, but where Cindy's Uncle lives it seems everyone in his community is running around on one I think it all depends on where you live. As for ours we mainly use it on the property but if the sheriff were to catch us out on the road too many times he just may have something to say.

      Delete
  10. I want one... so much nicer and more fun than my scooter. Does it require a licence? Seriously, it's good that your dad-in-law has some independence as well as fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie you could check with your community and see if they are allowed and what the requirements are, I know some places do require them to be licensed where other communities don't.

      Delete
  11. The golf cart takes away the onus of a scooter. It becomes a ride of choice rather than a ride of necessity. Smart move and now you have me wanting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Patti, I hadn't really thought of that but you are 100% right.

      Delete
  12. Man! That was a fun post :D

    It was very thoughtful of you to get your father-in-law that cart, and it sounds like it's turned out to be a great tool for the whole family. In one GA community, golf carts are THE way to get around, and golf cart trails meander over the whole area.

    I like the way your cart looks. Very practical. But have you ever seen some of the outlandish ways some people doll up their golf carts to look like hot rods, luxury cars, and whatnot? Just imagine... a Rolls Royce lookalike golf cart...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the golf carts are like that in the community that Cindy's Uncle lives, everything from Cadillacs to Lincolns, it seems we see something new every time we visit him.

      Delete
  13. Now I'll definitely want a golf cart if I ever can't drive. Where I live there's no public transportation and hiring a cab would cost a fortune. I'd hate to be stuck at home under "house arrest". Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John this is a perfect answer to public transportation if your community allows them, sometimes all it takes is adding lights and turn signals then having the city or dmv to approve them.

      Delete
  14. I wish my uncle had bought one of those instead of his mobility scooter! That we would have kept for fun. I think George, unlike Dixie, would have been happy to just sit in it though and watch cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz for the most part Dixie will sit there also but every once in a while...it just gets the best of her lol, making the harness a necessity.

      Delete
  15. That look (and sound) like fun.....especially the horn.....they don't let us drive them on the street here more's the pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delores most places probably won't allow them on the street where some do, I think it all depends on where you are. I thought the horns were necessary, they are fun anyways.

      Delete
  16. I love Dixie's seat belt harness! Hick has his Gator to drive around, and it has a dump bed on it. He made a roof for it with some corrugated plastic. Our dogs will climb in when it's stopped, but won't ride in it, preferring to run alongside or ahead, barking. They go crazy when Hick starts it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick's Gator would be a step up from a Golf Cart I would think, more heavy duty I'm thinking. The dogs are probably thinking that Hick has to invite them before they attempt to ride, or either they just like running.

      Delete
  17. That's really cool that you re-purposed the golf cart to fit your needs, and it sounds like such fun! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works out really good RO, for either work or play.

      Delete
  18. I can easily understand why you folks enjoy that cart! You've made some great alterations on it to make it useful and convenient. And safe for Dixie :)

    I can never see a golf cart without thinking of Vince Gill's video for his tune "One More Last Chance" . . . I know it shows my age but my husband and I watched many a country song video when they first starting making them back in the early 90's. Maybe you know the one I mentioned? If not, it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGfgIQfpbWI Just don't drive your cart around any large bodies of water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny I do remember that video Jenny, I believe they had a lot of fun making it and even got George Jones involved.

      Delete
    2. right then, off to you tube....

      Delete
  19. When I looked at the photos I wondered why you had a pink bra on the back of your No Golfing Cart then I read on. I worry about my mind sometimes. I was just about to say I can see you have a lot of fun in your cart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny Joey, I had to actually laugh out loud when I read that, some of us really appreciate your mind my friend.

      Delete
  20. What a great idea and such a useful little vehicle. I bet your father-in-law had many hours of fun with it.

    We have a lot of those golf carts around here in the 55+ subdivisions and mobile home parks. People ride them all over, including the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a lot of people in the 55+ communities here also using them in the same manner, they are great for that.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.