Tuesday, January 16, 2018

WFW - Anywhere but there

This months Words for Wednesday prompts are being hosted by Cindi over at Letting the Words Escape, and for this week Cindi has given us these prompts:


birthday, robbery, earthquake, execution, Pooh, Paris
and/or
Hepburn, ferry, murder, rolling, ledger, Tobruk


Anywhere but there

On her BIRTHDAY we decided to get out of town for a road trip to an unknown destination, you know throw a dart at a map and hope that it lands on an exciting place like PARIS, London or Australia rather than Mexico, Yemen or somewhere like TOBRUK, Libya. These options were actually out of the question since all we had was a United States map and a LEDGER showing that our budget would not allow us to travel abroad anyway.

I placed the blindfold around Julie's head covering her eyes, and handed the dart to her, I held her by the shoulders and turned my back to the map on the wall guiding her to face her target. Behind her sitting on our bed was a stuffed POOH bear watching intently as Julie prepared to throw.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was playing on the TV in our living room and I could hear Katherine HEPBURN as she said "Well... I don't think I'm going to faint, but I'll sit down anyway." I was so excited myself that her statement described exactly how I was feeling, and I probably should sit down.

I stepped to the side and watched Julie bring the dart up next to her head. "Here goes Kevin!" She said as she threw the dart towards the wall.

I closed my eyes and crossed my fingers praying for the dart to land somewhere in the mountains with a ROLLING river and lazy days in the sunshine, a ride on a FERRY to a deserted island, or anywhere to get us away from the next potential EARTHQUAKE and possible ROBBERY or MURDER.

Her EXECUTION was flawless by the sound of the Thunk as the dart buried itself into the wall. Julie ripped the blindfold off and smiled excitedly as she looked at the map, then her expression changed as she said the words "San Bernardino, California" that is only ten miles away...

We stared at each other and simultaneously shouted "Do over!"

28 comments:

  1. LOL! Loved it, and yes, I would take a do-over if San Bernardino was the option. Been there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindi I am happy that you enjoyed it. We avoid San Bernardino every chance we get.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the story. I like it, down to earth and full of spirit at the same time. Quite a different take form the other ones. It's interesting to see, how many differnt stories can spring from twelve words. Tobruk sounds - in your take - like a place to avoid. I'm not so sad about having left it out after reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, It is amazing how many different directions each of us take the words each week, it sure keeps everything interesting. Thank you for stopping by, I hope to see you again.

      Delete
  3. Do over indeed. Love this story. You do these very well.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a do-over is the only answer, Thank you Sandee I appreciate you.

      Delete
  4. This is a heap of fun Jimmy. And yes, do-over sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you liked it EC, it was a lot of fun for me to write.

      Delete
  5. Maybe just cut out the sections of the country you don't want to go to lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea Delores, I'll have to remember that if we ever throw a dart at a map.

      Delete
  6. This is great Jimmy, what a wonderful way to choose a holiday destination. You need a map with local areas cut off or blacked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River I have always wanted to do this and yes I agree some areas would have to be blacked out.

      Delete
  7. That was a good one, Jimmy! Hmm, I don't remember what, if anything was going on in San Bernardino. A definite D Over, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, San Bernardino is getting more scary every day which makes it a do-over without question.

      Delete
  8. I used to teach elementary school PE, and was shocked the first 100-or-so times I heard kids clamor for a DO-OVER when things didn't go their way. Absolutely not! Then the other half of the class says you're playing favorites.

    In this case, however, I agree that a DO-OVER was called for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val I can just see the kids begging for a do-over, this definitely wouldn't work in the situation of a PE class, because if you did it one time then it would be never-ending there on out.

      Delete
  9. You do these word challenges so well I can't imagine they even really challenge you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean some are more challenging than others, this one was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  10. This is terrific, Jimmy! I love it! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee, I appreciate it and I am happy that you stopped by, you are welcome anytime.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Joe, I'm glad that you got a laugh out of it.

      Delete
  12. You get at least one veto in any situation like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Adam, at least one do-over should be in the rules, maybe one for each person...

      Delete
  13. I like this, Jimmy, very well written and produced a loud laugh when I got to the end. Tell me, though, what is a do-over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, I am so happy that you enjoyed it and got a laugh at the end. A do-over is when you repeat the process and hope for better results.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Bijoux, I wouldn't have a problem going to Iowa, I haven't been there as of yet so I would definitely be up for it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.