Friday, January 19, 2018

A Golfers Nightmare

I want to start off by saying that I'm not a golf player, I never have been and I have a feeling that I never will be. I know that Putt Putt doesn't count and I also know that a lot of my friends really enjoy playing the game of golf.

I have to admit that my understanding of golf is closer to Beverly Hillbillies character Good Ole Jed Clampett's interpretation of "Shooting Golfs" as hunting a critter that he didn't know existed until he moved to California.

Beverly Hillbillies characters Jed and Jethro looking at at golf club.
(Source)
Shooting golfs didn't work out for Jed and it appears that shooting golfs has never been for me either, I guess that I just don't get it.. By the way have you ever tried to break a golf egg?...

Seriously I did play golf once when I lived in Odessa, Texas. I was offered a promotion from my job as a salesman in an oilfield supply store to manager of this store. At 22 years old I was the youngest store manager the company had, and part of my job was to make sales calls on our High end executive type clients, wine and dine them, and to make sure these clients were happy with the services that our company provided, you know to basically "kiss their butts", I never was good at being a butt kisser...

One day after doing this job for several months, I got a call from the "Big Boss" at the main office in Houston, Texas. He said, "Jimmy, I just got off the phone with Mr. SoandSo over at Majorplayer Oil Company, he says that you haven't offered to take him golfing since you took over as manager!", I replied "I'm not a golfer, I don't play golf is the reason I haven't asked him to go golfing.", Big Boss then said to me, "I suggest that you learn to play golf very quickly and to get this customer on the golf course, if you want to keep this job!"

That afternoon I went and bought myself a set of golf clubs, I went to the driving range and hit balls, I asked questions of golfers I knew at work, I knocked golf balls all over the field behind my house, I worked so hard trying to teach myself how to play in time for my upcoming golf game with Mr. SoandSo that I grew to really dislike golfing right then and there.

I picked up Mr. SoandSo and took him to the Country Club where we met up with two more executives from Majorplayer Oil and our foursome hit the golf course, seriously I hit the golf course more times than I made direct contact with the ball, I learned all about fixing divots, and how large of a handicap that I would need, this was so embarrassing that I did feel handicapped, it was a golfing nightmare, absolutely nothing I did was "par for any course" I played horribly, while the other three played really well.

After the "game" was over I went back to the office and made a phone call to Houston, yes "Houston, we've got a problem", I told "Big Boss" that if part of my actual job as Store Manager was for me to play golf then he was going to have to find someone else for the job...

I kept my job and golf was never mentioned again, Mr. SoandSo stopped talking about golf with me and never suggested another round, after one game my golf clubs were sold for a reasonable price, actually way less than what I had paid for them, but the loss was worth it to me because simply put, I'm not a golfer.

Side view of a green golf cart.
My No Golfing Cart
I do however own a golf cart, or should I say a No Golfing Cart, but that will be an entirely different post...

Do you play golf? And have you had any interesting golfing experiences?

32 comments:

  1. My dad was a life-long golfer, even taught the game to high schoolers at one point in time and in retirement he played 1-2 times a day. My brother, niece and various other in the family play. A guy I dated back in my 20's golfed. I was highly motivated to learn. I took 12 lessons offered through a golf course and all I learned was that I REALLY hated golf. If I want to take a nice walk I don't need to catch a little ball I could barely see. I would like a golf cart, though. You've got the right idea there, Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people really love the game, Cindy has a brother who plays and actually works for the golf course on weekends but as far as I know he is the only one in the family who plays.

      I am afraid that if I had taken 12 lessons like you did the end result would have been the same as yours.

      Delete
  2. Having to play golf to keep your job doesn't seem right at all. I'm glad this issue fixed itself. Great post.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandee, I don't think that they could actually force me to play anyway, and with me throwing it back into their laps so to say was the end of the suggestions to do so.

      A great weekend to you also.

      Delete
  3. No I don't golf...neither does the hubs. I watched it once on TV. Well, I started to watch it. I woke up sometime after it had been over for an hour or so. Golf carts look like fun though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delores you watching golf on TV sounds like something I would do too ha ha.

      I'll do a post on the No Golf Cart soon.

      Delete
  4. My husband was an asst golf pro at a country club when we met. He took me out ONE time and let's just say that once was enough for both of us to be out there together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it works out that way Bijoux, like you once was enough for me too. But at least you gave it a try...

      Delete
  5. It is a great game, but as you know very difficult and takes a long time to become mediocre. I've been playing for 50 years or so and expect to reach mediocre any year now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe I knew that you really enjoy playing and I actually expected more to be players also. Striving to be a mediocre player is great as long as you enjoy what you are doing, I'm probably too old to try again, especially if it takes that long to become mediocre.

      Delete
  6. One of my sisters in law is a golfing addict.
    I have never played and feel no urge to do so. I tend to agree with Mark Twain 'a nice walk ruined'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A nice walk ruined" yes EC swinging a golf club would indeed distract a good walk.

      Delete
  7. At one of my schools, the faculty had an annual golf tournament over spring break. I am not a golfer. Nor was my partner, a strapping 6'4" fifth grade teacher who thought he should be allowed to hit from the women's tee. We were SO BAD that we almost won the $50 prize for being the worst team. Unfortunately, there was ONE team worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val I could have partnered up with you and surely we could have taken that $50 prize, I bet I could have messed up your game enough to assure that ha ha.

      Delete
  8. I'd rather just have a No Golf Cart, too :) Seriously, I can't get interested in golf and neither can my husband. It seems kind of ridiculous to expect a non-golfer to suddenly take up golfing not for the love of it but to keep a customer happy . . . I'm glad you were left alone after you offered to "give back" the job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny that would have been one thing had they wanted me to entertain a customer with a game of golf because they knew it was a hobby of mine would have been great, but "forcing" someone to take up a game they had never played was just wrong, they gave it up rather easily when I told them to find someone else...my fine golfing ability may have had something to do with that ha ha.

      Delete
  9. I had a boyfriend during my younger years that tried to teach me to play golf. I just could not do it. I couldn't even swing it right. I am also a lefty. That might have played a big part in the learning fail. Im ok at putt putt though.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa with you being left handed I am sure that you should have had a whole different set of clubs for one thing and anything a right handed player showed you was backwards anyways. Putt Putt is more my speed too, I am so good at it that sometimes we don't even keep score lol.

      Delete
  10. I haven't played in a long time, too expensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Adam it is an expensive game to play.

      Delete
  11. I don't play golf, as a sport I think it's a great way to walk a few miles each day. My ex-the first, played golf, but rarely. He's left-handed so would order a set of left-handed clubs, pay a fortune for them and eventually pawn them when he needed money. Several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playing for fun and relaxation is great I have been told, most players I know are so competitive that I wouldn't even want to go and watch them.

      Oh wow River, I know that you were losing money when he pawned those left handed clubs, I bet the pawn shop loved to see him coming.

      Delete
  12. Nobody in my family played golf but their careers didn't suffer because of it. We were more into tennis but I guess that's a bit too energetic for company visitors lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, I think you are right if I had offered to take them to play tennis I would have been pushing it. I wish they had asked me to take them fishing, that would have been more my speed, especially if they had a boat ha ha.

      Delete
  13. I tried golfing, but my boobs kept getting in the way. But I LOVE watching golf; either in person, or on TV. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey SW I can't even say that I had anything to get in my way other than my lack of ability lol. A lot of people do love the game, whether playing, watching, or talking about it, and you my friend are one who does.

      Delete
  14. HA! Fun post. :)

    Nope, I'm not a golfer, and have never had any interest in becoming one. Putt-putt is enough of a challenge for me.

    However, years ago, my hubby and one of his co-workers went to a nearby driving range a few times to hit a bucket of balls during lunch. As he put it, "Sometimes the ball went to the left, sometimes it went right, and sometimes it went straight ahead. The problem was, I never knew which was coming next." He quickly concluded golf wasn't his thing and that shooting pool was much better, because he never had to go far to chase the balls. (We STILL shoot pool every weekend...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan, Putt Putt is more my speed also. Your husband's experience at the driving range is one that I can relate to, I had about the same luck with my bucket of balls, I wonder if we both got faulty buckets...

      Delete
  15. DH tried for a while. The clubs are still out in the garage somewhere. He loves playing the wii version and nintendo though - I think he is addicted. BUT! At least he's playing in a living room chair and his body is home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon I bet there are a lot of dusty bags of golf clubs sitting in garages and sheds everywhere. It sounds like DH has this whole golfing thing figured out, golfing in the comforts of your own home doesn't sound too bad to me.

      Delete
  16. I'm useless at any sport (sadly) but my partner plays every week, along with hockey, going to the gym and running. It's a case of opposites attract. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, I have one son who is like your partner, no matter which sport it is, he can play it well. I am more like you my friend but I suppose you and I are part of the crowd who is there to cheer for our loved ones.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.