Friday, April 21, 2017

Tough day at Urgent Care

Cindy tweaked her back a couple months ago and rather than complain she has been babying it, continuing to do her normal routine, going to work taking care of her clients, coming home taking care of her dad, and doing everything but take care of herself, she does this she says because she is tough.

Last Friday morning I could see the pain on her face and knew she was just about to give in, she assured me that even though she is tough, her dad told her that she should go to Urgent Care, she always listens to dad because he is dad and he is tougher.

Urgent Care opens at 9am and we left the house at 8:30 so we could be there when the doors opened, Cindy pulled out of the driveway in a manner that reminded me of the green flag waving at the Daytona 500, fifteen minutes later and a lot of tough words to fellow drivers Urgent care was coming into view.

As we pulled into the parking lot Cindy freaked out, "look at all those people waiting, do you know how many germs are floating around that door?" I told my little germophobic wife that everything was going to be OK as we walked up to stand behind the other two patients who were there.

I’m not kidding when I say germophobic, this girl has gotten so serious since she became a caregiver, gloves go on for everything, we buy so many gloves for her we seriously should own stock in a rubber glove company, or should I say a latex free glove company, I am surprised she wasn’t wearing a facemask and gloves when we pulled up to Urgent Care.

She told me this shouldn't take long because I already know what is wrong, I'm going to tell them that I need a steroid shot and a prescription for steroids, I don't need any muscle relaxers or pain pills because I can handle it, I made the mistake of saying, “because you're tough.....Right?” This was about the time I got the look that told me she is.

After an agonizingly long wait her name was finally called five minutes later, the Doctor came in and went over her details, listened to Cindy's diagnosis and treatment plan, and explained to Cindy that those decisions would be made after the examination.

When the examination was completed the Doctor prescribed a steroid shot, steroids, pain pills, and muscle relaxers to be called in to our pharmacy, and also an anti inflammatory/pain shot before she would be released, Cindy refused all the pain meds and muscle relaxers and also the extra shot, I don't need all that doc, I'm tough I can make it without all of that stuff.

After a long sleepless night Cindy told me early Saturday morning, I don't feel so tough, I think we need to go back to Urgent Care, a repeat of Fridays drive and wait time and she walked away with the anti inflammatory shot and muscle relaxers, I asked "what about the pain meds?"

She simply smiled at me and said......

I don't need them I'm tough.

When you are sick or in pain, do you handle it well or act like a baby?

26 comments:

  1. I would rather be comfortable (& pain free) than tough!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a high pain tolerance but that doesn't mean I put up with it, "I don't like pain, it hurts me"

      Delete
  2. Women don't always do well with the little things, a headache, small cut or scrape, but something really painful and they are tough...I think it has something to do with that whole birthing thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, you make a good point, women do seem to tolerate major pain situations better than minor, I'd hate to think of going through the birthing thing I know that it wouldn't work with me, my hat's off to all the women who brought us into existence.

      Delete
  3. When I'm sick or in pain I just want to be left alone. I don't want my pillow fluffed or anything else. My wife loves to be pampered when she's sick. Fortunately, we're both in pretty good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also like that for the most part, I hate being sick and will try to rush the recovery, Cindy even as tough as she is would rather be babied.

      Delete
  4. I won't take anything stronger than ibuprofen. I once took Tylenol with codeine and was so nauseated that that was worse than any pain. Plus, people get addicted so easily, I'm not taking any chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bijoux, you just sounded like Cindy 100%, she doesn't want the pain meds to interfere with her day to day routine, I can respect that because medications do affect people differently, they don't bother me, but do both you and she.

      Delete
    2. @Bijoux, anything with codeine needs to be taken with food, at least a sandwich, otherwise it does nauseate. Some people have the problem even with having food first.

      Delete
  5. I can take pain and push through a lot but if I have the option, give me a pill or shot. Life is too short to be miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Patti that is so right, I'd rather not take anything but if it is going to help then I am all for it.

      Delete
  6. Poor Cindy! Backaches and caregiving seem to go together like milk and cookies. I learned a long time ago to never pass up an anti inflammatory shot and/or pills. But I know too many people who have gotten in trouble with pain meds so I don't blame Cindy for refusing them and powering through it. Hope she's feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, yes she is doing better now, still hurting but a lot better, I'm afraid that this will be with her as long as she continues as a caregiver, like you said like milk and cookies the backaches go along with caregiving.

      Delete
  7. My back goes out more often than I do, echoes of a bad sprain from 1986. I'm pretty well used to it by now and can tell if I need major painkillers plus lying flat with my knees bent and feet on pillows, or just a long sit down with a hot water bottle to relax the spasm. Most of the time a hot water bottle does the trick, then I'm careful for a couple of days until I feel "normal".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River, this seems to be an ongoing process with Cindy also, since the first time it always gets better but at the same time never goes away, a lot has to do with her job I believe, if I had to do what she does my back would be out too.

      Delete
  8. I like the way you wrote about your visit to Urgent Care, I know it wasn't a smiling matter but I did smile as I read it.
    Ice packs are recommended for back problems. I have a problem with my back which worsened when I had a recent fall. Painkillers don't help but a chiropractor does. Hope Cindy feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, I always try to add a bit of humor into our situations like this, Cindy gets a kick out of it and is the instigator in most situations, amongst ourselves needless to say ha ha

      She does go to a Chiropractor but personally I think this one does her more harm than good, she had a good one in the town we lived before and I really think she should find another one here, she has a couple days off now, that will help.

      Delete
    2. It's my understanding that chiropractors work on bone structure and if Cindy's problem is muscle strain she's better off getting a massage, maybe weekly if you can afford it, at one of those sports management clinics. Ice packs are good for swelling, but if a muscle is in spasm it needs relaxing, which is where heat in any form is good.

      Delete
    3. Good point River, I honestly hadn't thought of that, we will definitely have to look into this. Thank You.

      Delete
  9. It's good to be tough, but ... Sometimes working through the pain can cause more injury. I hope Cindy get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right in my opinion, working through the pain is not always the best idea.

      Thank you she is doing much better now.

      Delete
  10. Several years back I had surgery early one morning to repair a pretty bad hernia. It was outpatient and when I returned home that afternoon I felt okay, of course it was the drugs from the surgery that was keeping back the pain.

    My wife asked me if I wanted her to go fill my prescription the doctor wrote for me as I was checked out. I said no, it was one of the top ten dumbest things I have ever said.

    About ten o'clock that night the pain hit. It was the start of a really long night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I always get mine filled in a situation like that to have on hand if nothing else, I am sure this is also what you do now.

      Isn't it funny how well you think you feel until those hospital pain meds wear off.

      Delete
  11. I have a really high tolerance for pain, and live with some everyday. I don't like taking a bunch of medication either, but one of me doctors told me being pain free allows things to heal more quickly. So I fill the prescriptions, take them a few times, and then stop. Having said that, it's a totally different story in the hospital. When I'm in there and they ask me how much pain I'm in (on a scale of 1 to 10). I ALWAYS give them a high number. That way, I can keep pushing that button and pretty much sleep my hospital time away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops! I hope Cindy is feeling better now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about giving the high number while in the hospital, anything to help you sleep there because that is not an easy feat.

      Yes Pat she is practically back to her normal self, Thank you sir.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.