Sunday, December 19, 2010

Lifting My Head

What exactly do you feel this time of year? Christmas is supposed to be a time of joy and hope and yes there are the presents that everyone gives and receives, the smile on the little kids faces and the sheer screaming at the top of your lungs excitement that comes out in anticipation of the surprise behind the door or what you will find upon waking.

The time to reflect on the past and to worship the birth of Jesus because this is what the season is all about, contrary to what the advertisements on TV tell us, we have been swept up into a whirlwind of technology in our ever changing world, and through these changes even though some are for the better we have all but forgotten the simple things in life, oh to go back and live the way we did back then, most of us say no way but just saying life was nice with a lot less to worry about.

This time of year does bring about a lot of joy as it should and it also brings on a dark cloud of gloom for some people, you just don’t feel like anything you do is good enough, not enough money to buy what everyone wants, and the money you do spend scares you to death because you know the wolf is at the door so to say wanting whatever money you do have. You think of the past and miss those who were there, you reach out for them and all you get is your hand slapped away it seems, the ones with you now are a blessing and you want to cling tightly onto them, but the fear of doing so keeps you from sharing your feelings because in your mind you don’t want to drive them away too.

This time of year is cold and dark with the winter weather and staying inside the house for the majority of the day is depressing, the Christmas specials you want to see are not there, replaced by anything but good news because bad news draws more attention, but that in itself is a whole other post.

Christmastime is a blessing with friends and family getting together, a big dinner with a turkey, ham, leg-o-lamb, goose, enchiladas or whatever you choose to prepare is really a big thing, enjoy your time with these people because they are a part of your life, sip the hot cocoa and enjoy those Christmas cookies because that little kid inside you will recognize the flavors associated with days gone by.

Some things never change, those Christmas dinners are prepared the same each year, the hot Cocoa is made exactly the same even though stirred with new hands as time goes on, and the recipe for those cookies are passed down to keep the memories of Christmases Past in our hearts forever, the time of joy is right in front of us, we just have to lift our heads to enjoy it.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely post Jimmy. We do let the stress get to us over the holidays and lose the magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful and we really should focus more and the meaning of christmas and try to stress a little less

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes....good thoughts Jimmy.
    It's easy to get bogged down- or even forget it may not be easy for others around us.
    Lifting up my head....almost forgot to do that~ It WAS starting to hang a little low!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Linda, Stress does take the magic away, it’s too bad that so many go through this, oh for the days of the innocence that lived on the magic of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True Becca, We should concentrate on the true meaning of Christmas, because without Him there would be no Christmas, Thank You my Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, It is easy to not notice that our heads are hanging low, and even easier to not see others are doing the same thing, heres to lifting our heads and enjoying Christmas and life for that matter in a happy manner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am feeling so much Love, Redemption and Renewal that I can hardly contain it!

    I only hope I don't let the OLD SELF get in the way like we do sometimes, and just ACCEPT and Enjoy the Freely Given Grace of God!

    YOU- have helped me put all of that in perspective! YOU are making a difference!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, Thank You from the bottom of my heart, I am so honored to have all of you here as your friendships do mean so much to me.

    The Old Self does get in the way at times but as long as we can handle him then it's OK, just take care of you Buddy and enjoy Fla :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. right on the money...hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You Sir, Welcome to our little Family and a Merry Christmas to you and yours also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We went to our Christmas church concert on Saturday night and I finally am in the Christmas spirit! I think the early bad weather really took the wind out of my sails this year.

    Those family memories of those no longer with us really make up a big part of our Christmas memories, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Cocotte, I bet the Christmas Church Concert was really nice, I always enjoyed going to programs like this with the family, I can see how this brought out the Christmas Spirit and am so proud for you.

    Yes memories of time spent with family that is not around now are cherished memories you always grasp for, it's really nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jimmy...So glad you found me and the good group that I follow and vice versa. If anything we are friends. Loved this post and it is so true. It's not always sunshine and presents for some is it? Looking forward to reading more of your blog. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always feel more thankful and giving this time of year. Although if I were honest with myself, I really shouldn't, because I should feel that way year round.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think a holiday forces us to stand back and reflect on our live and everything that entails. One of the nicest things this year for me was getting to know you...especially through your blog. Your warmth and kindness shine through in every post and that is a tradition I am not sure you will be able to pass on. Merry Christmas Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Morning Barb, It is not always sunshine and presents for some that is for sure and for others it never is, it is a true blessing when you can bring a smile to someone’s face and for me that is what it is all about. I enjoyed my visit to your place and look forward to future visits, yes we are friends and I am proud to have you join us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Matty, Yes Sir we should feel thankful and giving all year long but that does not always happen, by getting into the Christmas Spirit and being thankful this time of year makes the rest sure worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Susie, True some traditions you just can’t pass along but that is life I suppose, yes this time of year is a time to reflect and be thankful for the blessings you have been given, family and friendship is a biggie for me, we have gone through a lot this year and have had additions in both categories, I am proud to have added you also my Dear Friend.

    A Merry Christmas to you and yours also.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I get really depressed this time of year. I definitely have to lift my head and embrace the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Angelia, I understand completely, I too have to continue looking ahead and at the good things in life, regrets have done me no good and things I should have done are past, so ahead to the good times in life :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.