Thursday, November 9, 2017

Seriously getting wet!

There are quite a few rides for everyone to enjoy at Legoland, especially for the younger crowd, but there were also a bunch of rides that people our age were allowed on, by our age I mean people who are not kids, I know that a bunch of us still act like kids so I will say that there were also a lot of rides perfectly suited for kids of the adult version.

Not long after our visit to Legoland started and Mimi got us all suited up in the gift shop, it started getting hot, the guy at the gate had suggested we go to the total opposite end of the park and work our way back to the front, his reasoning was that most people start at the front, so this means more people and longer lines at the front. I'm here to tell you that by the time we got to the back we were all sweating, and about half of the kids of the adult version were looking for a shady place to sit.

Cindy suggested that we find a water ride to cool off, and upon reading our handy dandy Legoland map we decided on Pirate Reef, this ride appeared to work kind of like the log rides at a lot of parks, you know where you get into a boat type contraption and get pulled to the top of a flume of water, then you ride around a semi circle at a tolerable pace and just about the time that you relax, the nose of the boat tips downwards and you are all of a sudden speeding straight down splashing into a pool of water where everyone on the boat gets a little splash, sometimes you get pretty wet but most times you walk away semi dry.

Pirate's Reef water ride boat full of people with water splashing all around it.
(Source) this is what the Legoland site shows.
And to make Pirate Reef more fun, they have water cannons on Pirate ships sitting on each side of the flume where people can give you, or each other a blast of water as they "fire the water cannons across the ship's bow" those little kids are viscous and also good shots, they weren't worried about firing water cannons across any ships bow, they were looking for the driest person in line and eliminating them from being dry.

We all finally made it to the front of the line, and wouldn't you know it that Cindy and I somehow ended up in the very front seats on the boat, I looked around and noticed that we had lined up in the first slot but everyone else skipped all the slots next to us, it was like everyone had moved away to the back of the boat, I had to hold up my arm and give myself a cursory sniff, in case it was me...I really didn't think I was sweating that much.

When our boat arrived Cindy and I were guided into the front seat, Benjamin, Tim, and Elisa were seated in the row behind us, then we were given plastic bags for all of our belongings. Everyone was relieved of their phones, cameras, Cindy's plastic see through backpack, and even my new hat that Cindy had bought me back in the gift shop. I questioned if I really needed to give up my hat, the ride operator said that it was only necessary if I didn't want to either lose it or to get it wet, so into the bag my hat went.

With us being relieved of all our possessions and locked into the front seat of the ride, Cindy asked the ride operator if we had picked the wrong seats, he just stood and looked at us for a minute, then turned and laughed as he walked away, everyone behind us in the boat joined in his laughter, Cindy and I looked at one another and she said, Maybe these seats weren't a good idea after all.

Suddenly the ride began, the boat moved upwards climbing the rise to the top, all we could see was the sky, then the boat leveled out and the nose dropped making you think that you were about to make a really big dive, but instead it just sailed along the flume, we were looking around at the park and the other guests waiting in line below us, when all of a sudden the boat slowed down.

Looking ahead I no longer saw the water flume that we were sailing along in, it was like we were hanging over the edge of the world, nothing below us, just hanging out there in midair, it seemed like we sat there forever although I know it was only seconds, Cindy's eyes were big as saucers and the nose of the boat dropped, this is where you have to remember that we were sitting in the nose of the boat...

We were now flying downhill, everything around us was a blur then all of a sudden it was like we slammed into a wall of water, we were seriously getting wet now. I was looking through water spots on my glasses, and just as I turned to look at Cindy another wall of water landed directly on top of our heads. My hair was hanging in my eyes and Cindy's hair was hanging all around her face, kind of like Cousin It from the Addams family had been drowned.

Two Pirate Ships with a bridge between them, a wall of water splashing water onto bridge and hiding view of boat in water flume.
This is more like what we experienced
And speaking of drowned we nearly were, my shirt was sticking to me and water was dripping from my hair and beard, I turned around to look at Benjamin and his row of seats had not faired any better, they were all just as wet as we were.

Then here came the water blasters, just as we were wiping water from our faces, we were being blasted by water cannons from children who were supposed to be firing their water cannons across the bow of the ships, but we were in range and we were wet already.

Notice the bridge in the picture above. You can stand on this bridge and share in the splash of the boats sailing into the pool of water, or you can stand on the pirate ships and shoot the water cannons, just as I talked Benjamin into standing on the bridge with me, I was hit right in my ear with a blast from a water cannon. I looked around to see my daughter in law pointing a cannon in my direction. I'm not sure if this was an accident, or a hint to not take her baby onto the bridge, I chose the former so Benjamin and I headed out on the bridge.

Jimmy wearing a grey and black Legoland cap.
The only dry thing in my possession at the time was my new hat. Holding my new hat behind my back to keep it dry worked really well during the splash on the bridge, that is until a little girl filled it with water from a blaster.

Seriously  while I was holding my hat behind my back at belt level, a little girl with a water cannon from the Pirate ship completely filled that hat with water, it's probably a good thing I had my butt covered, I told you those kids are good shots, and viscous. I dumped the water out of my hat and said to Tim. Did you see that? He looked at me and said yep and dumped the water out of his hat, she had got him too.

I placed my now wet hat on my head and we all dripped a trail of water behind us as we left the Pirates Reef.

If you need to cool down at Legoland I recommend Pirate Reef, and if you want to stay dry, this is not a good idea.

50 comments:

  1. hahaha, Thanks for taking us on this ride.....Those little snots!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to love it when those little snots are having fun, even at our expense ha ha.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun way to cool off. What a great memory.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually was a lot of fun Sandee, I would definitely recommend it :)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a great time and it was a good way to get a shower. hehehe I never knew Legoland was like an amusement park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, That was the first time we had been there, it was definitely like an amusement park just with Legos ha ha.

      Delete
  4. I don't do those rides, I have manned the water cannons though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, If you had been there that day, the water pressure from the cannons was perfect ha ha.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, now I want to go. Sounds like a great way to cool off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, It was an excellent way to cool off, so we can all go down there and hit the boat ride first ha ha.

      Delete
  6. "Like Cousin It from the Addams family had been drowned!" I love that description. I used to like riding the log flume at Silver Dollar City. UNTIL we got to the top. Then I wanted out. The water didn't bother me, it was the height.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, with her hair all hanging around her head like that, I hate to admit I thought about Cousin It ha ha.

      The ride was indeed taller than I remember any of the others being, unless I have just shrunk that much.

      Delete
  7. I remember when those log rides were a bit more benign. I liked them back then. Now that they've upped the ante, no thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bijoux, You are right, when I was younger they didn't seem as extreme as they are now, maybe with age comes wisdom and makes us a bit more leery of things like this. I have to say it was fun though.

      Delete
  8. I'd be too chicken to go on the ride, but there've been times we were at touristy things that I felt like emptying a bottle of water over my head . . . just saying, that sounds like a funner way to get cooled off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, There are a lot of the rides Cindy won't get on, and there are a lot that I'd like to get on but Cindy won't let me, if she bans me from the water rides you and I can dump a bottle of water over each others heads then ha ha.

      Delete
  9. Oh the memories. When we went to the Iguazu Falls it was sooooo hot and humid I was just about melting. When the opportunity came to take a boat ride near the falls I jumped at it, thinking I would get wet but it would be clean, cool water (as opposed to sweat). It was. I was no wetter than when I entered the boat, but felt so much better.
    And I suspect that wet as you were, you wouldn't have passed it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh EC as wet as we were it felt so good, even with the little girl filling my hat with water, I really didn't care because that felt good too, you are right I wouldn't have passed that up at all.

      Delete
  10. Despite being unable to swim, I would have really loved this! Something about amusement parks always makes me happy, so I loved seeing it through your eyes, and smiling. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RO, as much water as hit us I thought we were going to have to swim but it really wasn't that bad, the whole experience was really good, like you said amusement parks make you happy and that's how it should be.

      It's good to see you my friend.

      Delete
  11. Oh Wow, that must have been a BLAST, until that little . . . girl, used that blaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lon, I have to say that the blast of water from that little girl was a surprise ha ha.

      Delete
  12. there is a rapids ride at carowinds that always gets one person soaked beyond belief. That was me, the last time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam that is the funny thing about those rapids rides, like you said one person always gets soaked and you never know if it's going to be you until it's too late, I love those rides.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a cool ride, especially on a warm day. I remember one time riding a ride at Sea World and buying the poncho beforehand so I wouldn't end up too soaked at the end of it. It was well worth the effort, though son called hubby and me a wimp.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time we went to Sea World we didn't bother buying the ponchos and yes we ended up soaked there also, isn't it funny how your children will call you a wimp when you choose to use your good sense ha ha.

      Delete
  14. never been, but all the grand kids have. Glad you had a good time, albeit soggy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willow, That is the only time we have been there, it is a wonderful place for the kids for sure and it appears getting soggy has become commonplace for us ;)

      Delete
  15. I love boats, dry ones. I would have steered clear of that ride. But, hey, what fun for those who don't mind getting soaked. Did the water ruin you're new hat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, Going to an amusement park on a hot day calls for finding a ride to get wet on, we have learned to do this early so that we dry out before we leave, I was afraid the hat would be ruined but I wore it for the rest of the day and it dried out really well, looks brand new now.

      Delete
  16. Definitely not for me but I'm glad you enjoyed it...or tolerated it...or did not kill anyone:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annie, It was definitely an enjoyable day, easy to tolerate, and required no killings, you can't ask for any better after spending twelve hours at a theme park.

      Delete
  17. It sounds like you guys had a a lot of fun. We always used to make a beeline for the "wet" rides at Six Flags when we took our kids there years ago. No matter what time of year we went, it was always hot-hot-hot, so the water felt great, and I didn't particularly care that it left me looking like a drowned rat. Several times, we got caught in the rain there, so everybody in the park got wet, whether they wanted to or not. (Those gals should have known better than to sport fancy hairdos at an amusement park!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susan, like you the last time we went to Six flags over Georgia it rained nearly the whole time we were there...it was great, we never did get dried out and ended up changing clothes in the parking lot ha ha.

      Fancy hairdos and amusement parks are two things that just don't go together.

      Delete
  18. That sounds like good, CLEAN fun (if you had brought soap to go with the water)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Fran, the only thing we were lacking was a bar of soap. :)

      Delete
  19. That sounds like the perfect way to cool off and you would have stayed cool for quite a while as your clothes dried off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey River you are correct, it actually felt good while our clothes dried, I think getting cooled off like this gave everyone a burst of energy.

      Delete
  20. Well, that was quite a ride! I don't think I have every been on anything like that. I will have to remember if ever we get to Legoland and avoid it ;) I am such a party-pooper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know Denise both you and Gregg may love it. :)

      Delete
  21. what a fun !

    you portrayed the all thrill so amazingly :)
    i enjoyed each bit of it .
    even before choosing the seat we think repeatedly to be at best place .
    i liked the term "kid of old version" count me one of them lol

    how bad that you cannot save your hat from naughty girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Baili, I like the saying that some kids may grow old but they never grow up, I think we are all still kids at heart :)

      And speaking of kids that little girl filling my hat with water, I figure I was already wet anyways and it was just water so I can't be upset with her ha ha.

      Delete
  22. That would terrify me! Even your description scared me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Liz, I think these rides get taller as we get older, I don't remember the drop being that steep, nor that wet on the last one we rode ;)

      Delete
  23. That was too funny! I live pretty close to Legoland and as of yet, have not gone there. I can picture you guys totally soaked. Well, at least you kept your hat dry...NOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat, I came pretty close to keeping that hat dry ha ha.

      Delete
  24. Hahaha...glad you were a good sport about it! See, I don't "do" wet rides...for one thing, I couldn't part with my camera, not even for a little bit. So I stay away from moisture and take pictures of other people getting wet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have had you go along with us then, you could have stayed dry and gotten some great pictures :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.