Wednesday, January 31, 2018

WFW - Under the hedges

And back by popular demand is our weekly Words for Wednesday challenge, if you want to join in simply grab the prompts and write a story, poem, song, or whatever your heart desires.

Use some of the words or all of the words this is completely up to you. Then go over to Cindi's blog Letting the Words Escape and leave either your story in her comments or a link back to where it is posted on your blog.

This week our prompts are:
bloody, confidence, ranger, Apollo, submarine, Byron
and/or
dictionary, groundhog, dancing, rain, silent, Germany

Under the hedges

BYRON and his trusty sidekick APOLLO sat underneath the hedges as the SILENT RAIN fell. Apollo is what his dad calls a German Shepard dog, even though he really wasn't from GERMANY, he was actually born on Byron's 6th birthday three years ago right there in the backyard of their home in small town America. Dad had shown Byron the definition of German Shepard in the DICTIONARY, but this still didn't make Apollo German.

With his Lone RANGER hat and mask on, Byron peered with CONFIDENCE through the hedges towards the dirt mound in his side yard, the GROUNDHOG was to meet his maker today. Byron's deadly aim with his slingshot was going to bring the groundhog's DANCING to a BLOODY end.

All of a sudden the varmints head appeared above ground, Byron stood up quietly and stretched the rubber bands of his slingshot to capacity and let the projectile fly towards it's target, just as the band snapped and the rubber ball arched upwards completely over the fence, the groundhog dropped like a SUBMARINE back into the safety of his home, only to reappear another day.

Byron and Apollo made their way back towards the house, it was probably better for mom to find him playing inside his dry room, than to be caught outside with his slingshot in the rain.

32 comments:

  1. I am so happy for the groundhog! Really! It would have been a horrible death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi the groundhog was safe all along, even if Byron's aim had been accurate the rubber ball probably wouldn't have even made a knot on his head.

      Delete
  2. Very cool to compare a groundhog with a submarine. They do pop down rather fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I have seen a gopher disappear just that quick, I am sure a groundhog could sink as quick as a submarine.

      Delete
  3. What a gread adventure storry.......and the Lone Ranger mask.....oh wow. You brought back some great memories of listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio with grandad...and yes....he made me a slingshot too.You did a terrific job with this Jimmie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Delores, I always did like the Lone Ranger, he was the first one I thought of when I saw ranger as one of the prompts.

      Delete
  4. Living in Idaho our cat Abner bring in plenty of gopher out of feild. Ziggy is anther story. He retired no hunting for that boy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, The gophers are a plenty here too, it takes a great cat to be a good gopher hunter as you already know.

      Delete
  5. Have I gone crazy or has your blog sidebar changed sides?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Lisa, I did that to see if anyone would notice, and as far as I know you are the first, at least the first to mention it...I wish I had a prize for you because you are correct it is on the opposite side now.

      Delete
  6. Lucky for the groundhog. Even luckier that Apollo didn't get ahold of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Val, Apollo would have been a lot more deadly than a rubber ball.

      Delete
  7. Ha Ha, outwitted by a groundhog with supersonic hearing. Byron needs more stealth. Great story, the words just fit right in there.
    Next month the words will be at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to outwit most any critter but remembering being a young boy, they believe that they can conquer the world ha ha.

      I look forward to your words this time around, last month Cindi did a great job didn't she.

      Delete
  8. I see you have some of my favourite books in your side bar. Have you seen the movies of those titles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of this list of books I have seen very few of the movies, probably more than I realize though.

      Delete
  9. I noticed the sidebar change but didn't mention it 'cause I guessed it was deliberate. It's odd that I prefer the old style. Loved today's story even though it reminded me of me as a child borrowing a sling shot and nearly killing a kid with a stone. You should have seen the wound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking that I need to update the look somewhat, but continue to move right back to the original setup and colors ha ha, I figured more people than I realized noticed me monkeying around with it.

      Yes a stone being shot out of a slingshot can definitely do some damage, I imagine that you did cause quite a wound on a that kid when you were a child.

      Delete
  10. i noticed the change
    easy to notice indeed still i am righty so was comfortable more when it was there but just good here too !


    you are always very smart and brilliant in the use of words Jimmy
    nice story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baili, I am actually more comfortable with it on the right also, but thought I'd try this for a short time, it will appear back on the right very soon.

      Thank you Baili I really appreciate your kindness.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful story Jimmy. Did you happen to know if the groundhog saw his shadow? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, The groundhog was only above ground long enough to see it wasn't groundhog day yet, so he didn't even look for a shadow this time. lol

      Delete
  12. Loved the story, especially since the groundhog got to live another day. Apollo was evidently just for moral support or as a finisher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Patti, Apollo's role in this story is like most of our four legged friends, a strong moral support role besides I believe he wanted to get inside and shake off more than finish off anything.

      Delete
  13. Childhood stories are good, yours of the best kind. Thanks. I wonder, can you eat groundhogs, or did he only chase them for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Byron was simply out for childhood fun and imaginary adventures, no groundhog on the menu here.

      Delete
  14. Very well done and it was a happy ending for the groundhog too.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you Sandee, I don't think Mr. Groundhog was too worried anyway.

      A great day to you my friend.

      Delete
  15. you are wonderful writer and glad i met you here in the beautiful blogging world! as i am fond of nice readings Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baili, I too am happy to include you as one of my friends.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.