Monday, September 18, 2017

Dancing with dogs

You always hear stories about dogs and their interactions with the mailman, the postman rings twice but is then seen being chased down the walkway by Fido.

I know dogs have an aversion to postal workers, but from experience I can attest to the fact that Meter Readers are right there at the top of the list also, in fact anyone who is wearing a uniform shirt with their name over one pocket and the company name they work for over the other is fair game for dogs.

Fido lies in the front yard sleeping with his buddies until an opportunity arises. With one eye open Fido tells Fluffy, hey look it's Ole Jimmy from the Water company coming down the sidewalk, just keep quiet and watch this. Fido quietly creeps across the grass and hides next to a shrub that sits next to the water meter box, and just as Jimmy is kneeling down to read the meter in the ground.

(Source)
Fido gives a low growl and jumps against the fencing right above Jimmy's head, barking furiously. Jimmy falls backwards dropping everything in his hands. Fluffy joins into the barking frenzy, Jimmy composes himself and reads the meter visibly shaken, as Jimmy walks away, Fido and Fluffy high five one another and laugh their little doggie laughs, and go back to lie in wait for their next victim, possibly the mailman.

I always got along with most animals that I ever came into contact with, but some animals, especially dogs can trick you into their little game.

When I first went to work for the water company, I read meters in the morning and drove around town passing out reminder notices in the afternoon. My first lesson on dealing with dogs came while I was still being trained.

Fred was training me, and we pulled up in front of a house that had a reminder notice due, I had three options, knock on the door and give the notice to the person, hang the notice on the doorknob if no one was at home, or hang the notice on the gate if you couldn't gain access to the yard. Just hang it on the gate, Fred tells me. It looks like they are home, I said. Yes but there are dogs in the yard, Fred replies. I see that, but look how friendly they are.

I opened the gate and two medium sized dogs ran up to me, one was carrying a ball and dropped it in front of me, I threw the ball and patted the other dog on the head, I knocked on the door and ended up hanging the notice on the doorknob.

Walking back down the steps with two dogs bouncing around you is a trick, but throw a ball bouncing at your feet into the mix. I threw the ball several times for the dog while making my way back down the walkway, when I got to the gate I told my new friends that I had to go and grabbed the gate handle to go out. This is when the ball was dropped and both dogs bared their teeth.

I was instantly attacked and the bottom portion of the denim jean material on my right leg was literally ripped off as I fought to pull my leg through the gate, I had to use the gate to keep the dogs inside while I was trying to get out.

I got back to the truck and said to Fred. Man did you see what those dogs did? He said, yeah I saw it, next time I tell you to hang it on the gate I guess you will do it.

After this whenever I approached a customers closed gate with a dog in the yard, I simply hung the notice on the gate and went about my business.

On one such occasion as I approached the gate a boxer came running to meet me, I always liked a boxer having owned a couple in the past, but wasn't going to be tricked like before.
I walked up with a rubber band already attached to the notice, with the intention of attaching it to the top of the chain link gate, the only problem was every time I tried to attach it to the gate the dog would jump up and snap at my hands with his teeth.

So here we are the boxer jumping up and down on one side of the gate and me on the other side holding the notice in one hand and the rubber band attached to it looped around the thumb and index finger of the other hand, moving my hands together from the top of the gate to up above my head over and over. I was trying to time it to where I could attach the notice without the dog grabbing my hand. But instead it looked like we were doing some weird synchronized meter reader/boxer dog hokey pokey dance.

I finally timed it to where she was on the ground and right before her next bounce I snapped the rubber band on the gate, I threw both hands above my head in victory and yelled "Yes!"

Next thing I see is the dogs back feet on top of the gate, I take a step backwards just as her front paws hit me right in the chest, I start zig zagging backwards towards my truck and the dog is zig zagging in front of me, lunging and snapping as she is forcing me backwards. Kind of like a we are now doing the two step, the only problem is I am not the one leading, and I really didn't go to this house to dance with this dog, but here I am making moves I didn't know that I could make.

My handy dandy meter key (Source) Tools of the trade
Up against my truck I reach into the back and grab my trusty meter key, now I have the boxers attention as we play Zorro, I slash zees through the air and the boxer does what boxer dogs do, she bounces on her back feet and throws her paws in the movements that gave this breed their name.

I worked my way to the drivers door and jumped into the truck, the dog bounced back over the fence and we sat there staring at one another, no blows were ever exchanged, so I suppose this bought could be called a draw, unless you want to give it to the dog for form, she did fly through the air briefly.

One of my customers was a motorcycle mechanic that was late on his bill frequently, a big guy who deep down was a good man, I always liked this guy. He knew exactly when his reminder notices were due and would chain his German Shepherd dog on the front porch making it impossible for anyone to get to his door.

Whenever I went to collect I would walk up, pat the dog on the head and knock on the door. He would open the door, laugh and say, Hell Jimmy I knew it had to be you because you are the only one he will let on the porch.

I had a newly appointed female supervisor, and one day she decided that she was going to ride along with me to see how well I knew my job. I had been a Customer service representative for a while and was doing collections on this particular day, she followed me up to each persons door and stood behind me to listen and take notes.

Before we ever got to the motorcycle mechanics house I told her, you need to stay in the truck and let me collect this one by myself. She responded, if you are going to the door, I will be right behind you.

I stopped in front of his house and told her. You really need to stay in the truck. She wanted an explanation, so I pointed to the dog.

First thing is I don’t think you can get past the dog, second thing is he is a pretty big dude and will answer the door in his underwear which will embarrass you, he will either pay me or he won't and if he doesn't I will shut off his water, simple as that. She told me there was no way I could know this and that she would be going up to his door, I just grinned.

She opened her door and started to get out of the truck. I said, for the last time you need to stay in the truck, she looked at me and said, you are forgetting who the boss is here. I replied, just remember I warned you.

(Source)
I leaned on the truck and watched her strut up to the house, then I tried not to laugh as she ran back down the walkway with the German Shepherd barking at her heels, he chased her to the end of his chain.

She was yelling for me to call animal control, I didn’t say anything and walked right past her up to the dog, I patted him on the head and knocked on the door. Mr. Motorcycle Mechanic opened the door in his tightie whities and grinned saying, who's the gal in the truck? I told him it's my boss, she came out to see if I know what I'm doing, he laughed and said, I see she couldn’t get past the dog. As I said before I always liked this guy.

I guess the German Shepherd showed her who was boss, and no I did not call animal control, this dog liked me.

42 comments:

  1. Bwahahahahahaha. Love this. Most entertaining.

    Have a fabulous day, Jimmy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandee, A great day to you my friend.

      Delete
  2. Wow....the perils of going door to door. I like dogs I also have a lot of respect for their teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Delores,You definitely have to respect the teeth, dogs are mostly good and just as individual as humans.

      Delete
  3. Funny stories, Jimmy. I'd like that motor cycle mechanic too. When I saw the title of your blog entry, I thought you really did take up dog dancing. If you haven't seen this competitive sport, check out some videos online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jean, The motorcycle mechanic was a good guy I knew him for a long time and never had any real problems with him, stand up guy really just not a rich man.

      I have not seen the competitive sport of dog dancing, I'll have to give it a look.

      Delete
  4. An interesting look into the travails of a job I haven't considered before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephen, I could probably write a whole book just on the experiences I had with dogs, mostly all good for me.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you survived that profession!
    I've heard that dog attacks on postal workers has increased in recent years. I know our meter readers just left a notice on the door when they heard our dog in the back yard. I think that new supervisor of yours was either crazy or stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Abby, It is safer for a meter reader to leave a notice than to chance an encounter with a dog, I had several over the years where I was the only one from our company that could go onto a persons property because I was the only one their dog would allow, but there were other properties that I couldn't get near haha.

      This particular supervisor was horrible, she knew nothing about the business but wanted everyone to know that she was boss, which didn't work out well for her overall.

      Delete
  6. Every day the mailman comes to the door. Every day the dog barks at the mailman. Every day the mailman leaves after only a few seconds. Clearly the dog believes it is his barking that sends the mailman away and he has once again protected the house.

    I love dogs, but some, especially shepards, boxers, and pinchers are extra protective and territorial and must be a mailman's or meter readers worst nightmare. I love the supervisor acting like she could do your job better than you. Just take attendance, write memos and keep records, and let people do what they do best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, Yes your dog barking at the mailman and then he leaves gives your dog the satisfaction of protecting the house, this makes perfect sense.

      I have knocked on a door before and had a dog come through the front window taking out glass screen and all, that was a scary moment.

      This supervisor never had a grasp on the actual jobs she supervised, it was sad.

      Delete
  7. Well written and I have to confess I chuckled at the dance moves, but I'm sure there were days you weren't laughing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny, Yes some days went funny but looking back on them now I can see humor in most haha.

      Delete
  8. I feel for all workers who have to go to people's doors. I can barely go for a walk without having some dog bark and/or run out after me, it's really starting to piss me off, to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bijoux, Uncontrolled dogs are a big problem with the general public taking a walk down the street same as people like postal workers and meter readers having to go to these homes, I feel if you are going to own a pet then make sure it stays on your property, there is no excuse for one running after people.

      Delete
  9. I could so relate to this post. We carried pepper spray when I read meters. Being a great dog lover, I only used it while actually being chewed on. Loved the story about your boss. That had to have made your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patti, I also had pepper spray also but never used it, I didn't want to spray a dog it was easier for me to avoid it. I did enjoy that situation with my supervisor, maybe too much ha ha.

      Delete
  10. Once in a while I worry about Jill. A guy pulled in, got out of his truck, Jill was out the door in a shot doing her "hounds from Hell" act, the guy ran back in his truck and took off. I wonder what he wanted? I have backed off myself at unfamiliar houses and barking dogs, it can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sharon, It is a shock when a door opens and dogs come bursting out towards you, I have had this happen more than once.

      Delete
  11. Well told. I grew up with German Shepherds (learned to walk hauling myself up on the dog's tail and teethed on his poor ears). I love them, but their bark is NOT worse than their bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello EC, We had one when I was younger, he was very protective of all of us kids, I bet yours was even more so with you learning to walk and teething on him.

      Delete
  12. The dogs around here are behind fences and bark at their own noses.
    Enjoyed this one.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa, I am happy that you enjoyed it, a lot of dogs can be annoying barking at absolutely nothing ha ha.

      Delete
    2. My Dad's dogs are exactly like that.

      Delete
  13. My brother-in-law the ex-mayor used to be a meter reader for the electric company. He carried a wooden baseball bat for protection. Only had to swing it a couple of times. Not many fences around here. The dogs run free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of like me playing Zorro with my meter key, just the visual was enough for most dogs.

      A lot of the areas I worked was like you described where it was more rural and the dogs ran free, one of the worst though was one of the trailer parks, about 250 mobile homes and twice as many dogs.

      Delete
  14. Years ago when my paycheck arrived Federal Express instead of direct deposit, the Federal Express driver always arrived at the door with a cookie for the dog. The dog got to recognized the sound of the truck and the clicking of the gate being opened and the doorbell. He would wait with anticipation at the door for his treat. When the regular guy wasn't there, he pouted until I learned to have a treat handy to give to him. For years after I started getting my paycheck direct deposit, when the door bell rang he always anticipated a treat (and got one from us) (you have to remember a corgi never forgets a food source; they are food driven). I don't think I can work in an environment that would encounter a lot of dogs. I have a bit of PTSD from the amounts of time the dog was attacked by other dogs. Being around dogs is a bit scary these days.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Betty, The treat from the Fed Ex driver is an excellent idea, and also having one at the ready for one other than your regular driver to give also, I think all dogs are food driven and remember where their treats come from.

      When you have any fear of a dog they can sense it, they watch our mannerisms and play off of that, I don't blame you for avoiding strange animals, that would be scary.

      Delete
  15. Still laughing here. You tell such a good tale, Jimmy. Wondering, did the boss lady ever go out with you again. Whilst reading about her I kinda wished the dog had got her....lol. Her attitude might have improved after that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Valerie, That was the last time she ever rode with me, she did ride with the other servicemen but gave up really quickly this idea. Her attitude only got worse with us after this, none of us were sad when she lost her position with the company, she was replaced with another female who actually allowed us to do our jobs.

      I think everyone wished that dog had caught her lol.

      Delete
  16. What adventures, Jimmy! Thank goodness you weren't seriously hurt when your jeans were ripped.I give mad props to anyone who works outside and has coped with animals who may be less than nice. Kudos. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello RO, I remember looking my leg over for damage because it actually felt like it was wounded, a few scratches maybe but no blood at all, the jeans however was another story.

      Working outside as a Customer service representative was a job that I really enjoyed, some of the dogs were nicer than some of the people but we take the bad with the good I suppose.

      Thank you RO, it's always good to see you.

      Delete
  17. Jimmy, if you haven't looked up dog dancing on YouTube yet, here's the winner of the FCI Dog Dancing World Championship winner of 2016. https://youtu.be/j6-8ycrNWtk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean, I didn't realize dog dancing was this big of a thing, it is amazing what you can teach animals to do.

      Delete
  18. Great post, Jimmy--I'm STILL laughing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fran, I'm glad you liked it, Thank you so much.

      Delete
  19. Oh my!!!! This post made me chuckle. You just never know what will happen int hat type of job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen, You are so right working out with the public like that gives you some definitely strange experiences sometimes, you simply never know.

      I am happy that you got a chuckle out of it.

      Delete
  20. Ha Ha! We had a German Shepherd just like the two who got you playing while training. Absolutely anyone could enter our property, walk around the back even, but the dog wouldn't ever let anyone leave. I can't remember how many times we got home from school and had to let salesmen out of the gate. And using the gate was essential and a friend of my brother's found out one day. Brother said go through the ate, friend said I'll just jump over the fence, I've been here before, your dog knows me. Friend jumped over the gate and got dog teeth in his butt. his father wasn't sympathetic, even he knew the rules for our place. Use the gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes using the gate is a challenge sometimes, open it just enough to squeeze through and block the dogs at the same time.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.