Monday, February 5, 2018

The New Trailer

You remember my dilemma last year when we were all wondering Will Cubby Survive?, one of the biggest problems was how to get Cubby to the garden tractor hospital, I do have a truck but it has a camper shell and Cubby is too tall for that.

If I removed the camper Cubby will fit if I remove the deck, so to haul Cubby anywhere I would have to take the camper off of the truck, then remove the deck from Cubby, now how do you lift a Garden Tractor into the back of your truck? You use a ramp, now I have to go and get a long ramp...

And even if I had a long ramp, what if I had to haul our No Golfing Cart anywhere? That won't fit in the back of the truck.

If you recall, back then I went down to the local hardware store and rented a U-haul trailer, yes I rented the exact same U-haul trailer two days in a row adding to the cost of Cubby's recovery, and I had to use the little short ramp from my shop to help load and unload him.

Black utility trailer with american flag spare tire cover disploayed on the side.
Front view of my new utility trailer
I bit the bullet folks, I went down and got myself a trailer of my own, one wide enough for Cubby without removing the deck, and long enough for the No Golfing cart, and I don't have to remove the trucks camper.

Rear view of  utility trailer with ramp in up position, white SUV in background
Rear view of the new trailer. Cindy's car in background.
And this trailer has a ramp attached to the back.

I even bought a spare tire, cover, tools and a jack just in case I had a flat or needed anything while I am pulling the trailer. There is even a tool / storage box attached to the tongue.

Now what's wrong with this picture?

expanded metal Tool box on tongue of utility trailer before upgrades to close it in.
Before image of the toolbox that looks like a basket.
Just look at that toolbox, it looks like a basket sitting there in my opinion, so my reaction to this was a trip down to the big box hardware store, I came away with a few sheets of metal, nuts, bolts, washers, and gloss black spray paint.

After taking some measurements from the toolbox and writing them down, then taking the list of written down measurements back out to the trailer and measuring again, I corrected my incorrectly written down measurements and commenced to cutting, cleaning and painting the sheets of metal.

My results were six correctly fitting pieces of painted metal that I would use to line the walls of the toolbox.

A trip to Wally World where I grabbed a couple of rubber doormats, I cut them to fit the bottom of the box, you know to keep stuff from sliding around, and this was the final step of my little project.

After image of utility trailer toolbox with sheet metal walls added to close it in.
After image of the toolbox with new walls added.
I now have a toolbox sitting on the tongue of the trailer that doesn't look like a basket, if I want to carry something in the toolbox now it will be a lot more protected from the elements than before.

The new trailer with upgraded toolbox after the metal walls were added.
The new and improved trailer with approved toolbox
I really like the looks of the toolbox now, I think that I should load something into the toolbox and take Cubby for a ride around the neighborhood, or better yet, The No Golfing Cart has given us more than one ride, maybe I could return the favor...

41 comments:

  1. Nice work, Jimmy! Seriously, you could probably sell those parts as toolbox-that-looks-like-a-basket upgrade kits. Customers could pay a little extra to have them installed by you, the master!
    Nice trailer all around too. It looks very useful and practical. I bet Cubby loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby I even like the name "toolbox-that-looks-like-a-basket upgrade kits", you never know this just may work...

      Cubby is going to be styling on his next ride ha ha.

      Delete
  2. Very well done. You're most handy aren't you. Yes you are.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Thank you my good friend, I appreciate your confidence :).

      A terrific day to you also!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! If someone can't see what tools you carry in the box they'll be less likely to want to break into it, I think. Trailers are great to own but be prepared for people always wanting to borrow it and you to help them move something. Set your price high...no less than a good porterhouse steak dinner....if Cindy lets you eat red meat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Jean, If I am carrying something inside a toolbox I sure don't want it on display.

      I haven't even got the license plate for it yet and one of the nephew's was over hinting about how much easier his sons 4 wheeler would be to load on my trailer vs his pickup, I wasn't hateful but I agreed with him and told him that they had a lot more just like mine over at the dealer where I bought it. He never mentioned it again.

      Yeah I am sure limited on the red meat now days. Lol

      Delete
  4. While reading this I was thinking, "Just rent a trailer Jimmy!" I don't know why you needed to buy a trailer for probable limited use, but I get it. You bought a trailer because you wanted a new trailer...new toy, our equivalent to new shoes.

    Good idea and job with the tool box cage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I kicked that exact argument around in my head for about a year before I went ahead and bit the bullet, they put it on sale cheap enough to where I got the trailer with the spare and all of the stuff I wanted including the toolbox upgrade materials for less than the original list price...hard to pass up getting a new toy for a deal like this.

      Thank you Sir.

      Delete
  5. Much better and no one can see what you've got in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure like the looks of it a lot better Delores.

      Delete
  6. I think you would have a lot in common with my son-in-law and his father. I won't go into details but my son-in-law has at least 4 lock-ups full of goodies, a 1950s Dutch weapon carrier, and a small bus being converted into . . .something!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow it sure sounds like your son-in-law has some big projects going on...keeps him out of trouble I hope. That's what my wife says about my projects anyway.

      I'm happy to have you join in with us today, please come back anytime.

      Delete
  7. Oh, excellent tweaking! You could even take a picnic lunch in there and no one would be the wiser (and it wouldn't get dusty). Here's me, always thinking about lunch, ha ha

    Seriously, you have mad skillz, as the youngsters would say. This is a great improvement to your new toy. I mean necessary vehicle. My husband says a project isn't worth doing if you don't need to buy a new tool or accessory :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, Packing a picnic lunch isn't a bad idea, Cindy would even help you on that one...

      Your husband sounds like a person I would get along with, because new tools and accessories are indeed necessary most of the time.

      Delete
  8. Love your trailer and your additions. Smart move. Now you will be surprised how many friends you have that will need a trailer. It will get lots of use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Patti it's bad enough that you do seem to gain friends as soon as you buy a pickup truck, but now I have gone and attached a trailer to it. Ha ha

      Delete
  9. I'm probably getting a riding mower this year, but I am a bit worried about it having an issue. I have no truck or trailer, so hauling it will be ...fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, seriously most issues on a riding mower can be taken care of yourself at home, the major ones most shops will pick up your mower and bring it back home for a small fee. You most likely won't have an issue at all for many years though.

      Delete
  10. That's a spiffy looking toolbox Jimmy, well done. It's a fine trailer overall, I think you will get a lot of use from it. How is Cubby now, still going strong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you River, I think the trailer is going to work out really well. Cubby is a lot stronger than before now, the young man that worked on him did a really good job, I have recommended him to a lot of people, and will use him again if needed.

      Delete
  11. I can relate to your toolbox dilemma. I have a kitchen utensil holder that's a terrible design. My pancake flippers, spoons, etc. come right out of the sides and bottom. I keep trying to come up with a way to fix it. Maybe I should just buy a new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to break down and replace stuff, I actually found metal drawer dividers at Aldi of all places that fit our kitchen drawers perfectly, now Cindy's silverware is all nice and organized.

      I bet you can find a better design on your kitchen utensil holder, the cost will probably be worth eliminating the aggravation.

      Delete
  12. That is a fantastic trailer, and you did an excellent job on the tool box! I know a good trailer when I see one, because just recently I had to see a bad one, which I will be writing about this week, with shameful pictures.

    Hick has a trailer that can haul a car (not nearly as nice as your sweet trailer) and he is always loaning it to people who ask. He went to take it back from HOS (his oldest son) last week, and it WASN'T THERE! Because HOS had loaned it to a friend of his. You are right about not loaning yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val, I knew that you would be familiar with quality, there are a lot out there that would have worked but I paid up a little for one that will last. I have seen what happens to stuff that is continually loaned out, and I don't have a notion for this one to be a loaner.

      I'm looking forward to reading your trailer post.

      Delete
  13. Nice work and I have one of those no-golfing carts, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sage, Thank you Sir, both the trailer and No Golfing Carts sure come in handy don't they.

      Delete
  14. you are man with vision and the way you fixed everything according to your own satisfaction shows that you are very wise and can face challenges brilliantly and turn things for your ease and pleasure amazingly!

    this one looks awesome now ,great job here indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baili, I appreciate your kind words my friend.

      Delete
  15. Hmmm, I have a few requirements that require a handy man. If you're thinking of expanding your talents just pop on the next plane to the UK. Now, where's that list.

    Seriously, you did a great job of transforming the blank space into a tool box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I will be happy to look at your list of chores if ever I travel to the UK, it would be my honor. I wonder if I can get a plane with a trailer hitch?...

      Delete
  16. What a grand work with such attention to detail too.
    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a trailer like that I’ve had for years. It’s been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure come in handy Rick, we may not use them every day but I like having one for when I need it.

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you got a nice trailer. It will be worth every penny. You did and outstanding job on that tool box. It looks a lot better than the baskety look. You just made that trailer look tough! Now you can take the kids for hayrides in the fall. Have fun. and I like the new look of your blog page.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, they are sure worth their weight in gold when you need one, you are right it does look a little tougher with an actual tool box as opposed to the basket. A hayride sounds like a blast.

      I wanted to update the look of my blog some because it has basically looked the same for years, everything I was coming up with was so close to the original that it really didn't look different at all...I like how this design worked out, I believe I am going to leave it alone for awhile now. Thank you I am glad that you like it.

      Delete
  19. That looks pretty neat Jimmy! Cindy is sure blessed to have such a handyman around. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Thank you RO, that is the best compliment that I have had in a while, I appreciate you my friend.

      Delete
  20. Great job Jimmy! You really had a vision, and it paid off. Next time you'll probably build your own trailer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, you know building your own trailer could be a good thing.

      Delete
  21. Great job on the converted tool box. But, Jimmy, you are slipping...you managed to write this entire post without once mentioning "Southern engineering."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, I must be slipping a little bit, the least I could have done was to mention Southern Engineering when describing this obviously Southern Engineered tool box, wow...Thank you for bringing that up I'll try to do better next time.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, jump in and tell me what you think, or just say Hi, I really appreciate your comments.